1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR22 keeps trying to record programs on channels I don't receive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by travs69, Jun 17, 2009.

1. travs69

travs69 New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I have my guide set to channels I receive, but I keeps seeing a whole lot of channels that I don't receive. The HR22 keeps trying to record on these channels. Shouldn't this default to the correct list or should I just create a custom list and if I do that will it use this list for channels to record?

Thanks!!

Travis

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Unfortunately, that's not how "Channels I Receive" works. While that feature limits the channels you see in the Guide, it does not limit the channels in the search database. So it's still possible to search for shows and see channels you don't receive. It's pretty much up to you to know if the desired recording is actually on a channel you receive.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Kinda makes you wonder what the "Channels I Receive" option is for, aside from the obvious knowledge thing, no?

Rich

4. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Agreed. It's at least a simple filter for folks that don't want to setup a Favorites list. But I really wish there was a way to filter these channels out of the search results.

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    "Channels I Get" is telling me I am receiving two Showtime channels. Of course when I select either one I get a "channel not purchased" message. If the system is smart enough to display the not purchased message, shouldn't it also dim out the offending channels from the list?

Certainly not a show-stopper, but a bit annoying...

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Bill, you're using logic. Doesn't usually apply here. Your point is a really good one, and you'd think the programmers would have planned for it, logically. Ooops, :lol:.

Rich

7. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Channels I Receive may not have much use, but at least it's really inaccurate.

:rolleyes:

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx, I'm still laughing. :lol:

Rich

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    While CIG has issues I would not want it to remove channels I don't get from searches. If I wanted that show enough I might sub to that package to get it. I do wish that it would grey it out in the search field so you knew though.

10. travs69

travs69 New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Thanks for the responses.. any way to keep the hr22 from trying to record on channels I don't get then? It keeps tieing up the DVR recording shows that I can never get. It nevers shows up in the DVR after the fact.. but it still shows it's trying to record it and complains when I try and change the channel.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    As with every computer, YOU have to tell it what to do in exact terms. Or it will run amok on you. (First time I've used "amok" on the forum, wonder if I'll get messages about that. First time I used "awry" I got a few. :lol:)

Rich

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I guess the question is what shows is it trying to record. Do you have a Search AutoRecord set up that it is finding matches for on these other channels? Did you happen to set up a Series Link for a show by using the Record button on a show that is on one of those channels?

- Merg

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    What exactly is it you're trying to record that it's recording and on what channels you don't get?

I assume this is an autorecord search? If so, what is your search?

One thing you can do with a search is limit it to certain channel ranges to perform the search on so in many cases by doing that you avoid the problem of it trying to record on channels you don't get.

14. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    You would think that it would be for words beginning with truly bad letters, such as "F", "N", "S", "P", or "C". But, it's a little hard to think of bad words beginning with "A", other than the other name of a donkey. Nevertheless, "amok" and "awry", where I come from -- the land of the Harleys -- sound pretty naughty to me. Why are some words considered nasty, anyway?

Stan

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think the member that was commenting on my use of "awry" was reading something into it, I just think he was surprised at the use of the word itself. I was surprised that someone commented on it. Used to be a commonly used word as was amok. At least they weren't acronyms. :lol:

This might interest you: My first Harley was made in Italy. That's how long ago I started riding.

Rich

16. rlistenb

rlistenb New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    NEWBIE ALERT:

I just got my HR22-100 and I like much of it. My 2 main issues to date are the channel guide showing channels I do not get (even though set otherwise) and this (the reason I'm writing this) . . .

How do you make the 'season pass' ONLY record NEW episodes?
    Yes it is 'set' that way in the options, but not working that way.

2nd question: Is there a 'guide' somewhere in the forums to help me make the transition from my DTV TIVO to this DVR??

17. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Check out the Tips & Tricks here http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If the guide data doesnt correctly show the episode as new, its gonna record it unfortunately.

19. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The episode that you use to set up the series link will always record, whether it matches the new/repeat or not. After that, it will use the guide data. Unfortunately, if the episode is not correctly tagged by the channel/Tribune, the DVR will not record it/not record it correctly.

People here have used different strategies, based on in what way the guide data is defficient. Give us some details and I'm sure the people here will give you some ides to make things work at little better.

20. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Correct. And some networks like Comedy are terrible with guide data on shows like The Daily Show. This is a problem for all DVRs, including Tivo and has been for many years. Not really much you can do about bad guide data other then manual recordings.