1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR22 loses audio on Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 311Man, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 #1 of 26
    311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I just received a replaced HR22-100 and have a problem when watching a program with Dolby Digital sometime when I pause or FF past a commercial I lose audio. If I change channels to a none DD channel audio comes back and then the original DD channel works. FF again same problem.

Also, if I don't change the channel but cycle my audio system then the audio appears. I had a HR20 for years this only happened the day after the HR22 was installed. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Nov 4, 2010 #2 of 26
    311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I guess no one has ever had an issue like this?

3. Nov 5, 2010 #3 of 26
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Try a RBR; if the issue continues, then you must have them replace the replacement....:grin:

4. Nov 5, 2010 #4 of 26
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Are you using an HDMI connection to the audio system? If so, this looks like a typical HDMI compatibility issue. Other than changing one or both of the boxes for different models, the only way around this is to use an optical audio cable for the audio and run the HDMI for video directly to the TV.

5. Nov 5, 2010 #5 of 26
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Are you running the sat box directly to the TV or are you going through a home theater amp? Some amps don't handle HDMI pass through gracefully, as Texasbrit noted. If you are using an amp, try his suggestion of running the satellite digital audio out to the home theater digital audio in and I bet your problem is solved.

You can also try the Menu Restart before this, in case it is just the sat box getting into a strange state.

You should never do a RBR (red button reset) unless the sat box is fully locked up and you cannot to a proper restart via the menus. It is important with a DVR to do a "graceful" shut down and restart, just like you don't hit the reset button on a computer or pull its power plug. That is very hard on drives and may leave open or corrupted files on the drive.

6. Nov 5, 2010 #6 of 26
    311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I am using optical audio cable to my Denon receiver (and HDMI to TV). Had no issues with the HR20 I had but the replacement HR22 is different story. The DD works but if I pause live recording and then fast forward or commercial skip I can create the problem every time. Same thing with anything recorded on my list. It will work but soon as as I go forward it loses audio.

Change channel or turn off DD on HR22 makes the audio return and then the cycle starts all over again.

7. Nov 5, 2010 #7 of 26
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It sounds like the Denon is having trouble re-syncing up to the digital audio stream...perhaps because something is "different" about the HR22's output. Very strange.

8. Nov 5, 2010 #8 of 26
    311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I have two DVD players with DD and no issues. I did some testing today and it seems if I do a commercial skip of a short length the issue doesn't happen any time i skip a bit longer (3 min or so)...then the issue occurs. I can also correct the problem by switching the Denon from the Directv input to another and back and then the audio comes back. This one is a puzzler.

9. Nov 9, 2010 #9 of 26
    311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    Well I called D* about this issue and found out that the HR22 they sent me did in fact extend my commitment for two years since they sent it out as a upgrade unit as opposed to replacement (for the noisy HR20). Shame on my for talking to this third party person...shady on D* part in my opinion. I said I had an email from Directv Advocate Team indicating that there would be no commitment since it was a replacement. I only found out after the fact that commitments were not required for a replacement. The fact that the CSR incorrectly placed it as an upgrade and unaware that I should not have agreed to the two year commitment leaves me on the hook for two years.

Made them send me out a replacement for the replacement. Who knows what they will send out now.

10. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    enkkk wrong answer... Call them back again and ask for 1 of 2 departments. The access card department and or customer retention can and will remove the 2 year commitment on your account based on the email you received as well as the fact that it was a replacement and not an addition or upgrade.

Don't settle for anything less in terms of an outcome! You'll want the commitment removed, your account notated and an email sent confirming the results before you get off the phone.....Print it all out and keep it for your records just in case it becomes an issue further down the line at some point....

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Bingo!!! But it is something Directv has done differently because it did not happen in the past until a Software Release a couple of months ago or more.

I will do some testing today with FF and Skipping using 30 Second Skip Button and see what happens then changing Input to the Denon to see if it Re-Syncs the DD Signal. It may be a Timing Issue where Directv changed a Timing Parameter that is causing the problem because it didn't happen awhile back and doesn't occur on my HR23-700 which is Input to the same Denon in the same room.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, it switched to Analog and I switched back to my HR24-500 and it was transmitting Digital so I switched back to my HR23-500 and it doesn't switch back to Digital but stays on Analog so the Denon is Not Re-Syncing as I thought it would so it seems to be that the HR2X is Indeed changing it Audio Output Transmission from Digital to Analog and the Denon Receiver is just recognizing it and dealing with it as such.

BAH HUMBUG!!! :mad:

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just checked with my HR22-100, and I cannot duplicate your issue with my Denon (non-HDMI version a couple years old) using Toslink. Perhaps you might try using the optical connection for the audio instead of HDMI (if that is what you are using), and see if that clears up the problem.

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, I get the Audio Switching Problem whether I am using Toslink or Coaxial Digital Audio Cables so it definitely is the HR2X DVR because I get it on my HR23-700 or my HR24-500.

15. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I did speak to Customer Retention and I asked them to remove the commitment and they won't. They said because I spoke to the 3rd party group and agreed to the terms that I am now bound. My argument was that because it was replacement I should have never been forwarded to the 3rd party department. I told her I did agree to the terms but I ASSUMED I had no choice for the commitment. Had I know that I shouldn't have committed I wouldn't have. I told her I got an email response saying because it was a replacement I would not be under commitment. She still said that doesn't matter because I agreed it was an upgrade not a replacement and that the email was only "stating" that replacements do not have commitment. Bunch of bull!

16. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I am using an optical cable to the Denon and the HDMI to the TV for video. I guess the replacement I am getting will probably not make a difference. Geez. The HR20 I had worked fine all these years except it sounds like it is ready for take off even when it is turned off. That is the reason I got the replacement.

So are you saying the issue is the D* receiver and this may occur on other audio receivers? Or the Denon is not responding correctly? What to do?

17. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    Just got a call from someone in the presidents office and they apologized and said they did see the email the office originally sent and the commitment will be removed. Now to get the Dolby Digital issue resolved.

18. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Told ya. It just needed to be brought to the correct department. I would again suggest you get it in written form however such as another email to protect yourself down the line.

19. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    EXACTLY!!! If you get to Customer Service or Case Management THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU as they have for me and I can't Thank Them Enough For Their Interaction in my Problem!!! :)

20. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I received the replacement for the replacement HR22 and it does the exact same thing. (Loses DD Audio if you FF, RW or commercial skip). I told CSR I had the same issue..put me on hold got disconnected...never called back.
    Few minutes after I was off phone the receiver got a software download which didn't do a thing.

I guess I got to live with this issue since I have no idea what to do next.