HR23-700 {CE:15:13} 0x0290 - Issues Only (PRIVATE FIELD TEST)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR23 Discussion (private)' started by Stuart Sweet, Oct 16, 2008.

Did you download this release? If so, when?

1. Forced / Window #1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Forced / Window #2

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Automatic / Other

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. Did not download

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Do not own / Does not apply

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Systems in CE:15:13 PRIVATE FIELD TEST
    HR23-700

Window of opportunity to download:
    Friday, October 17, 2008 11:00PM - 2:30AM ET
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:00PM - 2:30AM ET

Be sure to monitor the threads and The DBSTalk Chat Room to check on final availability.

BE VERY CAREFUL

You will need to force the update tonight, but DO NOT under any circumstances allow a version less that 0x25E to be loaded onto your receiver. If you force the download at the wrong time, then you will be getting the "old" (NR) HR21-700 firmware which is 0x255.

When the download screen appears, wait for "Found New Software" .. once you see this and the download bar is moving, look at the version number. If the version number is NOT 0x25E or higher, then press the Red Button immediately. If you download a lower version number, you *WILL* brick your box (not permanently but it will be bricked for now).

For full release notes, see this thread for HR2x and R22.

2. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    For the 2nd week in a row; it took 4 tries of 0 2 4 6 8 for the HR23 to search for new software. Before last week; that never happened before.

Last week, I tried it via menu reset; then when it didnt search i RBR'd 2 more times. On the 3rd try I let it fully reboot. The first menu reset after the reboot it found the new software.

This week, after failing to search on first try, I tried RBR; and still no search, so i let it reboot. After reboot it failed again so I RBR's again and then it searched.

So both weeks it took 4 tries.

3. MercurialIN

MercurialIN Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2006
    Diagnostic Report #: 20081018-255B

Unable to access sub menus under Music when using WMP. Trying to do so results in the unable to access media error.

Also unable to access most of my .wav files. Either they won't play at all, as in most cases. Or they play a few seconds then stop. Both times I get the unable to successfully play wavfile name etc.

This particular issue started two CE's ago. Long .wav files sometimes play a few seconds into the wav, the short wav files don't play at all.

The above issue is when trying to play my .wav files via TVersity. Since I am unable to access sub menu's under Music via WMP I cannot even access my .wav files via WMP. Nor can I play any songs from my music library via WMP.

Still having some trouble playing YouTube videos and if they do play, once they finish the error message unable to successfully play, "File Name" still pops up.

4. Kevin872

Kevin872 Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    Diag Report# 20081019-1F6B

Since downloading the update Friday night, my wife reported that when she turned the DVR & TV on Saturday morning AND again Sunday morning, there was a menu on the screen to by the PPV "Run Fatboy Run". She said that it was on the "Buy Now" button, and had she not been paying attention she would have accidentally bought it had she pressed 'Enter'. She thinks it was on channel 998 but she isn't sure. If it matters, we have no PPV channels in our guide.

She also said that yesterday morning it changed channels by itself (doesn't remember which one it changed to) and she had to change it back. Nothing was set up to record, but it IS only set up for one tuner (haven't had a chance to have the second cable run to it yet).

I am at work right now but I will try to walk her through sending a Diagnostic Report and update this post with the report # if successful <updated... see top of post>.

Oh, and I can't seem to get MRV working. ;) :lol:

5. Kevin872

Kevin872 Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    Diag Report# 20081020-2322

At least it's consistent! This morning when my wife turned on the HR23 she said she saw the DirecTV logo in the center of the screen and there was some kind of music in the background. She's not sure what channel it may have been on, she just changed it right away. If she remembers tomorrow morning, I told her to hit the Info button to try and determine what channel it may be on.

This is the third morning in a row since downloading the update Friday night that the receiver apparently changed channels overnight. She was grateful that "at least it wasn't trying to trick me into buying a pay-per-view this time." :lol:

Obviously going back to the NR isn't an option, but does anyone suppose a reboot might fix this? It's not really that big of a deal (I can wait until the next update), but what's odd is apparently this isn't happening to anyone else with an HR23?

6. Kevin872

Kevin872 Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    Nothing wrong this morning. While I am not sure, if I had to guess I'd say that the DVR sets a certain channel in order to record those videos that it adds to the 'movies now & showcases' tab in the Playlist. Since I only have one cable connected to my HR23 (thus only one tuner), it changes the channel to record the video but never changes it back.

This would probably be a non-issue on a DVR with both tuners activated, but with only one such as in my situation, it may cause problems.

If this is the problem, perhaps the software could check for this situation and either:
    a) not record the video
    b) determine the current channel, change channel to record the video, then change back to the original channel.

While the channel change isn't really a big deal to us, it could certainly cause confusion and frustration, especially if someone accidentally buys a PPV they don't want, which is what my wife said almost happened the first morning.

On the bright side, this is just about the only real issue I have run across so far! :)

7. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    I don't have a diagnostic key yet, will get one tonight.
    Am having lots of trouble with closed captioning. I watched five or six shows over the weekend that it didn't work on. CSI, NCIS, Sarah Connor Chronicles, House, just to name a few.:(

8. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    We're watching "Oprah" on LiL CBS, MPEG4.

I tried to pause the show but had to press the pause button three times before it responded.

I saw the power light flicker each time so I know it received the IR signal.

Mike

9. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
  10. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    The reboot interupted a recording of the news.

Not exactally sure if this is and issue but when the receiver came backup it didn't start recording the remainder of the episode.

I have seen it restart recording after a reboot before which is why I had expected it to this time.

However it's in the padding on the back end which might explain it.

Mike

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Guess what .. I think we finally have an honest to goodness NR for the HR23-700 systems ..

12. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I guess we don't have to worry about our boxes becoming a door stop.

I'll assume that we still post issues in this thread. ;)

I'm just sayin'

Mike

13. TheMoose

TheMoose Icon

Jan 20, 2006
    Oklahoma
    My HR20 rebooted but I'm not sure about my HR23, It still shows the firmware update from last Fridays CE.

This has been a long CE cycle though hasn't it.

14. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    I don't think mine downloaded anything - the version still shows 290 from Friday night and I didn't see anything in history. I can't rule out it tried to download and found the same version - not sure how to check for that.

15. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    i did not download the latest CE this weekend and at 7:37pm (est) i got the pop-up requesting to download software. sure enough it did in fact download 0x290 so i'm pretty sure Doug is very correct on what he says about we now have our very own NR for the HR23.

i also have 0x290 coming down on my HR21's as i type this.

16. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    That is normal. It will not download the SW if the same or higher version already resides on the HR. The only way to get it to download a second timne is to force it manually.

Bob

17. minorthr

minorthr Legend

Mar 18, 2003
    Same here. Didn't download CE got national release.

I have noticed it is super slow and takes forever to respond to the remote.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The HR23 is still on the same software as HR21-700, meaning it is on the national release. Please continue to post your issues here.

19. Kevin872

Kevin872 Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    I don't even know if they still want me to keep mentioning this or not, but once again our HR23 had changed channels on its own overnight. The wife hit info to see what channel it was on and she said it didn't show any channel. It just showed the time & date. Apparently there was no video or audio this time. It wasn't locked up, she just had to change the channel.

I don't have another diagnostic report (I figure the other two should suffice). I'm at work and the wife is about to pop a baby out any day now so I hate to have her running around the house taking care of my geeky requests. :lol:

Honestly, should I even bother reporting this problem anymore? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

20. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    My only guess is that you're recording something overnight on a temp/overflow channel or have a recording scheduled at the same time the unit records something under the showcase tab and the showcase channel then disappears - last showcase I have is a Crash/Starz preview that recorded at 5:05 am this morning on ch 1010, which no longer exists.

Is there anything weird in your history - I know showcase stuff won't appear, but maybe some other clue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.