1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR23-700 Heart Transplant

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fathairycat, Oct 15, 2011.

1. fathairycat

fathairycat New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I came home today and my HR23-700 was dead as a door nail... no power at all and none of the normal fixes could revive it.

After a non-productive call with customer service and supervisor, I had them transfer me to cancellations and managed to convince them to send me a new HD DVR (no shipping charges), to send me a replacement HR23-700 (no charge and they agreed to let me try to do a parts swap to get the other one working again so that I can retrieve my recorded shows), and to give me a $50 service credit.

I'm hoping the 'fix' is as simple as swapping the power supply. I already took the old one apart and removing it is pretty simple.

Any other advice? I heard that if it's a problem beyond that, I'm pretty well screwed since swapping the hard drives won't work (encryption issue, I believe).

Thanks in advance!

2. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    There is one last-ditch effort, which is to unplug it for a number of hours, plug it back in, and wait at least 5 minutes for it to show signs of life. This is really possible, just not very likely to work. Nothing to lose.

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Welcome to dbstalk. No judgement is intended. Just want you to have a bit of time to plan your options.

Some things to prepare yourself for:
    -An HR23-700 may or may not show up. Directv considers all HR21/HR22/HR23 equal DVR's. So what shows up may not have the same power supply. Irrespective of what the CSR promised that's what the shipping dept. will do.
    -Even though a CSR said you could do a parts swap, somehow be sure that's noted on your account. Before you open up the replacement, that little seal for warranty could be an issue on both the broken and new one. If you own your DVR, no issue. But if it's leased they may frown upon the opening of the unit. 99% of all DVR's are leased.
    -Perhaps you buy the HR23 if you already don't own it. Just don't return it. I think the cost is $250 for a non-return fee as that's what I was charged for a missing HR21 in transit. HR23's might be more. Eventually with proof of drop off at USPS it was removed (lesson to all readers, get proof).

For $179 ish you could find leased HR24's out there new, or $300 ish gets you an owned HR24. 24's are quite an improvement over 23's in performance.

Good luck

4. fathairycat

fathairycat New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks for information. I hoping that I will actually get an HR23... the rep went through a lot of time/information to make sure that she didn't just order a new DVR, but the specific part number for the HR23. We'll see...

As for the danger of opening it and them not wanting it back, she specifically noted the account regarding this and has confirmed with an email that I was going to attempt the repair with their blessing.

We'll see...

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    An email confirmation, excellent news. Please report back as to what shows up and hopefully your success.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Good luck with that...a CSR can't give you the blessing to open a leased piece of equipment hoping to use it as spare parts to fix your dead one...you'll still be on the hook for potentially damaging their leased receiver.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "yeah", this "flies in the face" of everything.
    Regardless of what the CSR may have said/logged, this simply isn't how DirecTV works. :nono2:

From RobertE in another thread:

8. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    VOS is correct. Please don't break open the leased receivers case unless you are prepared to buy it.

9. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    There is no way to order part number for equipment. All that is order for equipment replacements is sd, dvr, hd or hddvr.

As the others said do not open the receiver unless you want to pony up the cash for the receiver

10. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    In what manner exactly are they "quite an improvement"? I find my HR24s as slow as my older DVRs in every respect. They are nicer looking, that's about it.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure which maker of HR24 you've had/seen, but here's some on the performance of the CPUs:

[​IMG]

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Without CPU models the chart is not appealing ...

I know 922 is using BCM7400, perhaps TiVo Premiere is the same - why the lines are different ?

What values are here ? MHz ? MIPS ?

13. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    About a year ago, one of my HR20-700's went bad. Being under the protection plan I said "I know it probably won't do any good, but I'd like to request another HR20, or at least be offered an AM20, as I actively use the OTA tuners. Sure enough, I got a HR20. Probably luck of the draw, but I remember being surprised they still had the HR20 in circulation.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    As it says DMIPS

15. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    They try very hard to replace HR20s with HR20s if your account is noted that you need and use the OTA tuner. I've had two HR20s fail and both were replaced with the same model.

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    All 4 of my HR24-500s work like a champ and are Very Fast!!! :)

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Oops, I mean values - 100s, 1000s ?

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It will be Very Interesting to see if the OP gets what he wants and asked for!!!

I for one would have loved to have Replaced the Bad Power Supply Unit on my last DVR that died if I could have just found a New Power Supply.

Too bad that Directv won't sell us the parts such as a Power Supply Unit.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :shrug: I haven't a clue, since it isn't an RF measurement and I'm only at the "higher is better" level. :lol:

20. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Well since MIPS means Meaningless Index of Plummeting Speed I suspect he "D" is the prefix for something akin to "Derived". The process of taking the time each box takes to fall a precise distance to the ground.

Don "not to be confused with 'thud factor':grin:" Bolton