HR23-700 SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by El Gabito, Jun 1, 2009.

1. El Gabito

El Gabito AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    Anyone know if the "in" line needs to be on a certain input on the HR23 w/ SWM? Installer had to come back twice today and is coming back tomorrow (3rd time) because he couldn't get a signal on the HR23. The non-dvr HD receiver works fine though (so it's not a dish issue).

2. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Should be on input 1. All the swm capable receivers I have also have (SWM-2) on the input one.

3. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I have 2 tuners and I know that tuner 1 was used only because of the SWM. Not sure what other "in" you will need other than your ethernet port for On Demand and MediaShare.

4. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Make sure he hasn't done something stupid like use a BBC on the input.

The SWM cable does need to go to Input 1.

After hooking that cable to input 1, you should actually power off, meaning actually unplug, the HR23, wait a bit, then plug it back in. Sometimes a red button reset doesn't quite cut it. And sometimes you have to reset it several times for SWM to "take".

And, sometimes things just don't work. Did the tech use one of the little blue SWM cable testers on the line? It will tell you if the cable is bad, which I suspect may be the case here, since 3 receivers have failed to work.

Good luck with it.

Keith

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I have SWM and my HR23-700 is connected to Sat1.

At PokerJoker stated ensure there isn't a BBC attached.

The Power Inserter (PI) should be powered up before the HR23. This initializes the SWM module. Power up the receiver, go through satellite setup and it should work.

Mike

6. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I third the recommendation to make sure there is no BBC connected. I sent my brother my SWM8 when I went to a SWM LNB. I sent him detailed directions of how to hook it up but neglected to mention removing the BBCs. He didn't. He called me multiple times saying he couldn't get a signal on his 3 DVRs. I tried everything I could think of and finally as an afterthought asked, "BTW, you did take the BBCs off, didn't you?" Well, he hadn't, and as soon as he did everything worked fine.

Good luck.

SMK

7. sue1106

sue1106 New Member

Oct 23, 2008
    one of my customer put coax cable from his vcr to SAT2 and his HR23-700 gone bad.. (frequently loss signal and no sound) lol.... I replaced it with new one.