1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR23's not returnable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by profmrw, Sep 26, 2013.

1. profmrw

profmrw Cool Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I just recently got an upgrade on the Protection plan for one of my HR23's to a Genie (and have two existing HR24's in the house).

When I called in to ask if they wanted the HR23 returned they stated that these are not being returned now. I knew about the HR20's not being returned but wasn't aware about the HR23's as well. I also asked if they wanted the access card returned and again they didn't want them back.

Kind of surprised they didn't want the access cards back - anyone else experience the same thing?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They took mine back in June when it died.
    Some have posted that they do not want them back.
    Some have posted that they were told they did not want them back and then another CSR told them yes they did and sent a recover kit.

Did your box with the new receiver have a red plastic envelope on it ? If yes, that is the return instructions and pre paid label to put on the box after you put the HR23 in it.

I definitely would not throw it away. If it shows up on your bill, then you can just return it..

3. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I just upgraded last week from a HR20 to a HR44. They didn't want that receiver back but wanted the access card back of course. I'm also expecting a HR24 today to upgrade my HR21. I will post back later to let you know if they want the 21 back.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sometimes they change their minds ....

I just deactivated an HR21 HD DVR and H23 HD Receiver. They told me that they would only need the access cards and would be sending a mailer. Then, two weeks later, a return box shows up for the HR21 HD DVR. Good thing I still had it!

5. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Just packed off an HR23-700 yesterday. Would have kept it for a replacement spare if I hadn't had to return it. I do have 2 HR20-700s in a deactivated state they didn't want back.

Don "I would think the std DVRs with 3D capability should remain valid for several years yet" Bolton

6. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    If your HR23 dies (i.e. it just stops turning on) they will not want it back.
    HOWEVER if you actually ordered a Genie upgrade and the HR23 is deactivated because of the upgrade (or if you just call and say "I'm not using this HR23 any more, I want to save $6 a month), expect to receive a return kit for it in a few days to a week.

1 person likes this.
  7. profmrw

profmrw Cool Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I called into D* again and another rep now tells me they don't want it back. I figure I will hold on to the access cards/receivers for awhile to see if something shows up.

8. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    If these are leased receivers doesn't DirecTV still own them? If so, I would send it back even if they don't want it. Let them deal with recycling it or putting it in the landfill. Don't let them unload their old hardware on to you.

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Unless you have it in writing (email) that they don't want this DVR back, I would not dispose of it.

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not a good idea. If DirecTV ultimately decides that they want the box and/or access card back, you'll have no way to track them. DirecTV won't have any records if you just send them a package without the proper return authorization stuff.

11. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    Yes, it's always a good idea to keep records for any device you ship back. All I'm saying is that the customer's house shouldn't become the storage department for all of DirecTV's unwanted equipment. DirecTV needs to be responsible for the proper disposal of their own unwanted equipment. If the equipment wasn't leased then I would be fine with disposing it myself.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes, it's always a good idea to keep records for any device you ship back. All I'm saying is that the customer's house shouldn't become the storage department for all of DirecTV's unwanted equipment. DirecTV needs to be responsible for the proper disposal of their own unwanted equipment. If the equipment wasn't leased then I would be fine with disposing it myself.

Ill counter that. If it still
    Works especially if keep it and if another unit died I have an immediate backup if needed till a new replacement forthright others could be shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

13. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    Oh yes, if you want to keep it as a backup then that's a good option. I'm only talking about boxes that you don't care about. I've never had a single cable or sat box go out on me, but with DVRs I know it's only a matter of when, not if.

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It doesn't make sense that Directv has a recycling program, but also considers some receivers "non-returnable". It is especially bizarre since as I understand it, Directv will send you boxes to send receivers back for recycling just like if you have to return leased receivers.

Since they are willing to pay shipping either way, they should always send out a return kit, and just change the To: address on that box depending on whether they want to redeploy or recycle that receiver. I'm sure a lot of customers don't properly recycle the receivers that Directv doesn't want back, but will instead just put them out in the trash to end up in their local landfill. Or perhaps sell them on Ebay to suckers who don't realize they can't use them (well, I can, but residential customers can't)

1 person likes this.
  15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just called ACT and was told that the 20-700 and 20-100 are not recoverable and any "damaged" 21 Series HRs are also not recoverable. When I questioned the "damaged" part, I was told they take the customer at his/her word. By "damaged", they mean not working at all. From the conversation, I gathered that they'd rather not send a tech out to the homes to check every HR that is reported as dead. This is a pretty big change.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just took a bunch of electronics to our township dump and got a chance to look at the electronics that people are throwing away. I saw a lot of CRT TVs, naturally. I also saw a couple flat screens. One Sony HD flat screen screamed at me to take it home and try to get it fixed, but I fought back and left it there... :rolling:

Rich

17. cal87

cal87 AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    My HR23-700 died a few weeks ago. At first they said they were sending a recovery kit. When I called to activate a new client box a while after that, i asked again and they said they did not want it back, but I should get a kit for just the access card.

Yesterday, I received the full recovery kit. Glad to be rid of it and not have to worry about any future charges, but it does not seem that they have a coherent plan.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Had to laugh at that. I've been looking for a coherent plan from D* for years.

Rich