HR24 100 HARD DRIVE SHOT (I THINK)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nutjob, Jan 22, 2016.

1. nutjob

nutjob New Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo
    HR 24 100 HARD DRIVE (OWNED) GETTING ERROR 15-795

I unplug it all and when I get home it usually works, some times stuck on self test. For sure I reboot when it fails to fix it I just unplug for a while

Sometimes the message is internal storage problem

this pretty much seals the deal that it`s the hard drive right?

Yes I have done the advanced diagnosis by hitting enter while on self check, done all the tests, passes all, even the long test shows no files repaired

couple times formatting has kept it going for few weeks at a time, or maybe coincidence

Assuming its the hard drive, would installing a external drive possibly correct the problem,? Can I put a new hard drive in, I noticed a couple how too`s on you tube

For reasons to complicated to explain Directv wont replace it, can we just leave that there... if anybody would like to answer

thanks

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    15 | On Screen Text: “Internal Storage Error Detected. A problem was detected reading your internal storage device.
    Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 15”
    What to do: Select "Reboot" to reset Receiver.
    If still a problem: Do NOT try to reformat from the front panel. Replace Receiver.

You can replace the hard drive if you truly own it.
    I think it is easier to put on an external hard drive using one of the esata enclosures. Several threads on here about it.

1 person likes this.
  3. nutjob

nutjob New Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo
    Thank You Jimmie57 I have been reading, so a external hard drive as you say ...will that over ride the suspect Hard Drive within the Yes OWNED HR24? That is what I thought people were saying, but most I thought were just adding them for extra storage, so I wasn`t fully certain.

Thank You

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Adding an external eSATA hard drive will replace the DVR's internal drive, not add to it. So if the internal drive is defective, then using an external drive should work fine. But ask yourself if you want to keep a DVR with a defective internal drive when DirecTV will replace for ~$20. You'll still lose access to your existing recordings whether you add an external drive or replace the DVR.

1 person likes this.
  5. nutjob

nutjob New Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We're not supposed to discuss opening up leased HRs on this forum.

Rich

7. nutjob

nutjob New Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo
    yes we might go to prison and get the death penalty

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am confused. The OPs first sentence in the first post says the receiver is OWNED.
    ??????

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That may have been added later, the post is edited.

I'm just trying to figure out a situation where they won't replace it, as even an owned Dvr is replaceable (though with leased without PP).

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    "foreign" customer perhaps.....

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The post was edited one minute after posting and not replied to until three hours later.
    In other words, the word OWNED was there before anyone responded to the first post.

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Me thinks the OP is not in the US.

13. nutjob

nutjob New Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo
    Not "foreign" edit was for a spelling mistake/typo... jeepers ...picture me rolling eyes... here I edit again just to add that the only thing I fibbed about was the HR21 700, found it at a metal recycling bin because I am a collector .. Have no idea about that one fas as status with DTV, I just grabbed it thinking might need parts power supply whatever.

maybe I will be arrested for opening the thrown out box, I better get me a lawyer.... Anyway my current box is running perfect

You guys that cry...oh someone is maybe breaking the law, you remind me of the little girl that said to my teacher after I said I forgot my homework.... Mr Godby I bet he never even did his homework .

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't notice that. Sorry.

Rich

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Take a step back ... and confirm your email address so you can receive PMs.

If you found the receiver in a dumpster it is possible that the receiver was removed from an account and cannot be placed on another account so other than power supplies, etc, it will be best turned in for scrap.

Or whatever hack was rendered on it became obsolete. Unfortunately people near where you are ("Buffalo"?) have a reputation for not playing by the rules and even running afoul of the laws.