1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-200 and slimline sl3 DIRECTV set up at RV

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Rexi4562, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Rexi4562

Rexi4562 New Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction of setting this up. We have tried a handful of times that just ends in a ton of frustration with my husband and I, and no football to watch! :(
    We have a sl3 dish at camp, and a HR-24 receiver that we brought from home. We ran a coaxial cable from the satellite dish to the receiver, and had error messages of no swm detected, or b band converter required when switching from dual to single tuner. I bought a power insterter and tried with that and same error message.
    We used to be able to get this to work years ago, but have no clue what to do now.
    Any ideas??
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Okay First question Does the LNB have 4 out puts or one? If it has four -it's NOT a SWIM LNB (meaning) the PI won't work. You would also need BBC's on the HR24 and 2 RG6 from the LNB to get HD channels.

You need to find the 101 sat first (even without the BBC's or the extra rg6) if it's a NON SWIM LNB you should be able to get the 101 SD channels -When you find it -The reason your receiver was looking for SWIM - was that it was most likely setup that way at home -last used

Your Dish mount (pole) must be level

Forgot! -Welcome to the site

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The coax goes from the dish to the Power Inserter. Then a short coax goes from the Power inserter to the receiver. Look at the labels on the Power inserter to tell which one to use to which connection.
    IRD is the Receiver. SWM is the LNB on the end of the dish arm.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. Rexi4562

Rexi4562 New Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I will have to go out and check the lnb to see if it's one or four.
    Let me see if I understand: if it has 4, I need the bbc's and two lines going from the dish to the receiver?
    And if it is a single output, I run the line from the dish to the PI and another one from the PI to the receiver?
    Thank you for your help!

5. Rexi4562

Rexi4562 New Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Thank you! I will try this!

6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You can use just one if the LNB has 4 out puts - you would only need the second one to record more than one channel at a time.
    So that would would while camping or where ever you are

The PI Has 2 out puts the one marked IRD - goes to sat 1 of the receiver -the unmarked one attaches to the lnb to be clear

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The pic of your LNB has the numbers on it for SWM which is a 1 coax connection.
    No BBC ( Broad band converter ) is used in SWM set ups.
    The SWM will run the 2 tuners in the DVR with just the 1 coax.