1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-200 HDD Fried - what are my options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wilt_the_stilt, Jul 20, 2013.

1. wilt_the_stilt

wilt_the_stilt New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Florida
    Hi guys,

We had an intense thunderstorm blow through this morning (this is Florida after all) and the HDD on my HR24 is getting errors starts recovery but at 3% it errors out and asks me to restart recovery which I have done 3 or 4 times with no difference in the outcome.

What are my options? (I have reached the 2 year agreement btw so can cancel at any time)

Is it possible to install a new HDD into the DVR? Do they provide discounts on equipment to existing customers or will they make me say cancel?

2. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    It is hard to say. The best thing to do is call them and see what they offer. It should be covered if you have the service plan.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You can put on an external, but I'd get it replaced, and put the new one on a good UPS.

4. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    If i remember right you can replace a dead unit without renewing the commitment... The only way to know for sure what they will do for an upgrade is to call and find out... being that your out of contract they may hook you up to get you back in contract...

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If you have the Protection Plan, they will send you a replacement at no charge. If not on the plan, they will replace it for a $19.95 shipping fee but sometimes will waive it. Be nice and polite.

If you don't want to do any of that, get an external HD, plug it in the port at the back and you should be OK.
    You can find suggestions for drives here on dbstalk.

With all of the above choices, you've lost whatever recordings are on the internal HD.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, no contract for straight replacement with an HR24. Upgrade would be a Genie with two year.

7. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    That's what i thought.... to OP: Personally i would take the genie with the 2 year contact if they offer you a deal on it..

8. wilt_the_stilt

wilt_the_stilt New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Florida
    I'm not looking to get into another commitment/contract as I will be leaving the country for 6 months due to work commitments in the near future. I will give them a call later on see what they say and report back.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I've read you can suspend service for up to.... six months. No personal experience with that, though.