HR24-500 & AM21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bwclark, May 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. May 9, 2010 #1 of 82
    bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    Will these two work together? I need the AM21 for OTA locals, and am willing to get the HR24 to upgrade an existing HR20-100 unit.

2. May 9, 2010 #2 of 82
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yep, works on mine.

3. May 9, 2010 #3 of 82
    bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    Since the HR24-500 has two sat. coaxial inputs how does the AM21 connect to the HR24?

Does the sat coaxial go to the AM21 and the OTA antenna to the AM21 and then the AM21 connects to one of the sat or both coaxial connections?

4. May 9, 2010 #4 of 82
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  5. May 9, 2010 #5 of 82
    bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    Thanks! I tried but could not find that on the AM21.

6. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    +1

Its really pretty simple, think of your reciver alreay being hooked up, then set am21 on top, there is a short usb tail on the back of the am21 that goes to the usb port on the back of the reciever then you plug in your OTA antenna to the am21.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Also, the power cord goes to the AM21 and there is a short cord which goes from the AM21 to the HR2x. I put the AM21 below my HR24, since the length and width dimensions of the HR24 are slightly smaller.

8. bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    Ok, thanks for the info. I understand the connection now.

Next question involves one I posted but was closed before answered:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=176888&highlight=purchase

My question is NOT about the hardware benefits of the HR24 vs. HR2X receivers, BUT is about other benefits of direct purchase.

Are there any other benefits of direct purchase vs. leased. It appears that the DTV monthly fees remain the same...correct?

9. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    They do remain the same. But remember, most of what you see as direct purchase, is just the upfront lease fee (that may be more or less than the lease fee from DirecTV.) The benefit of direct "purchase" is getting the exact model that you want.

10. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    If you purchase the unit, you have something you can sell if/when you decide to discontinue service. All leased equipment must be returned. Generally speaking...you won't recoup the money you would spend on purchasing a new receiver in a sale. Technology gives these boxes a very short period of value. Where you could have purchased an HR20-700 for a little over $500 3 years ago, you could get about $120 on E-Bay today.

DirecTV also does discount the lease price for their better customers.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The only benefit of owning that I see is if you cancelled DirecTV you keep the receiver and either sell it to make some money back, or hang onto it in case you decide to return to DirecTV at some future date. IIRC if you have a purchased STB and don't have the protection plan and the STB breaks DirecTV will replace it but it would be a leased receiver and restart any commitment you have (or start a new) 2 year commitment.

12. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Yes the fees do remain the same. Some of the benefits include the ability to modify (add larger internal HDD) or repair the unit without breaking the terms of the lease.. You can activate/deactivate a box at any time without having to return it and save the monthly fee. You can move the box to another account without penalty. You get the model you want. After you have fufilled your contract you could sell the box and recover some of the costs. Owning is a lot like having the Protection Plan-- Whatever works for you. Apologies to those above for any repititions in their responses. I got sidetracked and missed them.

13. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    Something that may not have been mentioned is that a leased reciver will be replaced indefinatly for 20 bucks under the lease program with out any protection plan.

and like previoiusly stated before the shelf value of owned seldomly out weighs the savings of leased.

14. bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    So, if I go with the Solid Signal "purchase" it is really just a leased receiver:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...G4-DVR-(HR24)-HD-DVR&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=

"DIRECTV Receiver Lease
    All DIRECTV equipment offers are for leased equipment only. Equipment costs, particularly for advanced products such as HD and/or DVR receivers, can be sizable and provides customers with a more affordable alternative."

As such it must be returned to DIRECTV if I close the account. How does DIRECTV know if I "buy" or "leased" the HR24-500?

15. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    They know the receiver IDs of the boxes that they send to authorized dealers. (The receiver IDs are used to activate the boxes with service.) Therefore, they know those boxes are leased when you call to activate them.

16. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    As a good rule of thumb if you pay 69-sd, 99 hd, 99-dvr, or 199 hd/dvr its a leased reciver. or of course if you get it from d* any price is leased unless you pay well in excess of those numbers.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Except for the HR21Pro, which is designed for commercial installations and is never leased, all NEW receivers obtained from retailers are leased. If you want a receiver to OWN, you must purchase it directly from DirecTV, and you'll probably pay MSRP for it. That's about $450 for an HD-DVR last time I checked. The Access Card team must then override the default "leased" status with "owned" status for that receiver in DirecTV's database. DirecTV keeps track of every single receiver that's ever been made for DirecTV.

There are a few other ways to end up with an owned receiver, but the vast majority of receivers made since 2006 are leased.

18. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Is the tuner in the AM21 better than the one I have in my HR20-700?

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You would need to define better. Sensitivity is very similar, weak stations dont come in any better with either. But handling of multi-path appears to be slightly better with the AM-21. If you dont have multi-path issues where you are at, it really doesnt matter. I have an HR20 and an HR22 with AM-21 and it doesnt make a lick of difference for me, I cant pick up any more stations with either than I can with either of my tv's internal ATSC tuners, and neither of my tv's are slouches.

Sony KDS-A3000, and a Panasonic TC-P42S1

20. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    When I plug my OTA directly into my TV I get outstanding signal strength. Channels come in that don't even register in my zipcode when I do the set up on my HR20. Even the channels that are very unreliable through my HR20 are dead perfect through my TV tuner. I am hoping that the AM21 is better than my HR20 at getting a good signal.