1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-500 Quit Passing Dolby on HD Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sam-SS, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Sam-SS

Sam-SS Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Several months back my HR24-500 lost audio at the HDMI output. After poking around, I found that this was only on HD channels. The SD channel audio still worked fine.

The DVR is hooked to a Denon AVR-4806 using a high quality HDMI cable. I run it in a Dolby 7.1 mode. I realize that some folks have had problems with the Denon HDMI connections but mine has always worked just fine.

I poked around some more and found that if I turned OFF Dolby in the DVR the audio came back on the HD channels.

Upon contacting D* about the problem, they suggested that I try using fiber optic for the audio. I did this but the problem persisted. Still no audio on HD channels when the DVR was set with Dolby ON. D* indicates that turning Dolby ON puts the DVR in a pass through mode where the signal is passed down the line for decoding by whatever unit it is connected to. In this case, it is my AVR.

D* has referred the problem to Engineering and they call me every week about this but they have come up with nothing. This has been going on for quite some time.

I just tested this again with the latest DVR update, version 0x416 but still no joy. What bothers me is that I had always used the Dolby ON setting up to a couple of months ago when it quit. This is true of a couple of earlier DVR models that I have had as well. They always worked with Dolby ON.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or come up with a solution? Any input would be appreciated.

...>>Sam

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, I have a Denom AVR5803 and I don't get Audio Dropouts as I have it connected to my Denon via an Optical Digital Audio Cable as well as Analog Cables because I have to have Analog in to have Multi-Room Output to my Speakers outside (6 Speakers on a Controller).

My Problem is that the Signal from the HR24-500 goes from Digital to Analog and the Volume normally increases so I notice it and then later back to Digital and I don't have that problem with my HR23-700 connected in the same room the same way.

I refer to my Problem as Audio Switching or Audio Signal Switching.

3. bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    Using a Denon 3808CI for connections of audio/video from my HR24-500. I use Component for video and optical for audio and I do get Dolby audio ok.
    Some OTA antenna stations that are said to be in HD 5.1 do not however always come thru as such, but that seems random. Sat stations are ok.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sounds like Denon perhaps has some issues in handling audio content via Toslink in certain models...

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, I have the same Setup on my HR23-700 going to the same Denon via Toslink and it works Perfectly!!!

Go Figure and Thanks For The Setup Info, it works!!! :hurah:

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Let us know how the other audio cable connection works...

Glad you're "set" on the "setup". :D

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If one HR works correctly and the other one doesn't, I'd be looking at the 24-500 as the problem. I don't have that problem on my 500 and you don't have the problem on your 23, so it sounds like you've isolated the 500 as the problem. Doesn't sound like an AV component issue. Is that the same 500 you had the heat issues with?

Rich

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I am going to try a Coaxial Digital Audio Cable this morning to see if that fixes the problem.

If it does, then I will know it is a Toslink to Denon Problem with the HR24-500.

9. Nov 1, 2010 #9 of 11
    cashdaddy

cashdaddy New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Interesting to see you had that issue....I just called customer service last night to resolve an issue with my HR24-500 that I was having, where audio would come through my TV speakers just fine on any channel that was displaying "English DD" (essentially every HD channel), but I could get no audio on anything non-DD (basically every SD channel). I had the Dolby Digital set to "On", and I have the DVR connected to my TV by HDMI.

Interesting part was the fact that I have an optical audio line out of the DVR to my audio receiver, and I could play audio from all of the channels with no problem.

I have two HD boxes connected to the other TV's in my house and audio from the SD channels came through with no issues. When I played back any recorded, non-DD programs on those TV's (that were recorded on the DVR) then I had the same problem of no audio.

Customer service rep suggested I unplug and reboot, which I did.....problem went away. Hate to always have to do this, if that's what solves the problem, but I wasn't sure if anyone else had this issue?

10. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I just had an HR20 replaced with an HR22 and I have an issue that occurs when I am watching a DD program from the "List" or pause live feed. If I fast forward than the audio goes away. Change to SD channel and back and then it works again. Really annoying.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, my Audio Switching Problem was not fixed by the NR so I played around with it and finally switched out my Coaxial Digital Audio Cable for a Toslink Cable and now it is working Perfectly for 24 hours.

I will continue to Monitor it to see if it indeed Reverts back to Switching from Digital to Analog and then back to Digital and then back to Analog but if it doesn't my Conclusion is that all this time it was caused by a Bad Coaxial Digital Audio Cable!!!