1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-500 recording issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bajanjack, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Over the last few weeks I've had a problem with recordings. When I play them back there is video and audio freezing going on-the same when I ff. Live tv is fine. If I pause and buffer a program the same problem occurs. I've tried a soft reset, pulling the power plug, etc. System and network test show ok...I've got 30 hours of programs to watch and hate to replace the box and lose them....Any suggestions regarding this problem, or any way to offload the current recordings?

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Do a system test on the hard drive . . . reboot and at the screen ' starting self-tests' (or something like that) hit select and select the advanced hard drive test.

I'll take probably overnight but it may correct enough bad sectors to prolong the life and make it usable.

3. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Will give it a shot- thanks

4. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Well-the good news is that I started the "advanced hard drive" test last night around 12am......the bad news is that at 7:30am it was at 12% with 8 "errors".....it looks like I have a bad hard drive-I'd still like to know if there is a way to offload the 30 hours of recordings I have before I replace the box

5. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Nope - sorry - there is no way to save the recordings short of playing them live to some kind of recording device....

The recordings are encrypted using the receiver number and therefore wouldn't do you any good with another receiver.

6. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Darn-thanks Mike.....any idea why it's taking so long to scan the hard drive?

7. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    It does take a while normally but yours may be so slow because the drive is just clinging to life... Sorry!

8. mak

mak AllStar

Nov 16, 2005
    I have the same thing going all my recordings I called dtv and I was since he could not find any wrong he would send up too IT. and see if they could out what is wrong. So I will not get a new box in tell they find the problem.

9. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    I spoke with DTV also-no problem-they said they would replace it with the same model box...the delay is me- the recording of 30 hours of NCIS and other shows I like-I'm just gonna wait until I finish watching them-going forward I'm recording on my other DVRs.......the recordings are screwed up-lots of freezing, etc.....

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, you will. Just keep calling and sooner or later you'll get someone who knows what he's doing and you'll get your replacement. If you get tired of speaking to "normal" CSRs, have them switch you to the Retention Dept. They'll quickly take care of your problem. My first thought when I read your OP was: The HDD is shot. The folks at retention will probably come to that conclusion pretty quickly. Make sure you're polite and persistent.

Rich