1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-500 Switching Between SD and HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnD33, Nov 23, 2013.

1. JohnD33

JohnD33 New Member

May 30, 2010
    I received a replacement receiver from Directv recently. It has started switching from HD to SD while watching HD programming. A message comes on the screen that says the receiver has switched to SD and to press and hold the exit button to return to the previous HD setting. When this occurs the power light on the left side of the receiver flashes rapidly. I have reset it numerous times. Tech support suggested turning native off in the display menu. This makes no difference. On recorded HD shows there are no issues. Any suggestions??
    Thanks.

2. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Is your HD receiver connected to something other than just your TV (like a DVD recorder)?

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hardly surprising to hear the CSR suggested something that ridiculous. You should get a replacement for the replacement. I've never seen any HR do what you describe.

Rich

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just a thought: Are you sure your coax connections on the HR are "finger tight"? That might be the problem. Or not.

Rich

5. JohnD33

JohnD33 New Member

May 30, 2010
    HD receiver is only connected to to the tv. Coax connection is finger tight. I am using while home but the previous receiver never had this problem. Maybe a replacement is in order. My current setup is 2 hd dvr's and 2 hd non dvr receivers on whole home. If I qualify for an upgrade should I consider that? Any upgrade suggestions? Thanks!!!

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ah, don't get caught up in trying to fix the thing, just get a replacement and go thru Retention when you do. Tell them how unhappy you are and you might get some more goodies. Don't forget to be polite.

Rich

7. JohnD33

JohnD33 New Member

May 30, 2010
    If I ask for an upgrade what are some good options for my whole home system?

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Only HR upgrade is a Genie. The five tuner DVR. With the four tuners remaining, you would also need a SWiM16 upgrade as you would have a total of nine tuners.

9. JohnD33

JohnD33 New Member

May 30, 2010
    Thanks. So I have 2 of the HD dvrs and 2 HD receivers. If I upgraded to the Genie I would have the Genie and 3 of the mini's, correct?One of my current dvr's is hooked to the swm unit for whole house. Would there be any changes needed to the swm unit that I already have? Also, I assume the Genie would be connected to the existing swm device?

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Get rid of one of your HD receivers to replace with the Genie and keep everything as is

11. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Note this is a known but infrequent problem only with the HR24-500. It's as if the receiver is responding to continuous remote control commands, even if the remote is hidden (or the batteries removed). It happens with my HR24-500 every few months or so, and goes away as fast as it came. A few people with amateur radio have reported they can trigger it by transmitting, and there's a general feeling it's some sort of RF interference with the front touch panel, but it's only a theory.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had something happen like that with doorbells. Someone in my neighborhood bought the same doorbell I have and didn't change the code. We battled back and forth for an afternoon, ringing each other's doorbells and having a merry old time (at least I was). When I tried to start my car later on from inside the house, nothing happened. Tried to lock the doors, unlock the doors, pop the trunk, nothing. Took the car for a ride and after about 15 minutes the remote started working. I went home and quickly changed the code on my doorbell. Fits into your scenario, no?

Rich

13. JohnD33

JohnD33 New Member

May 30, 2010
    "Note this is a known but infrequent problem only with the HR24-500. It's as if the receiver is responding to continuous remote control commands, even if the remote is hidden (or the batteries removed). It happens with my HR24-500 every few months or so, and goes away as fast as it came. A few people with amateur radio have reported they can trigger it by transmitting, and there's a general feeling it's some sort of RF interference with the front touch panel, but it's only a theory."

This is exactly what I am seeing. My system uses a universal remote that is rf and with "bugs" attached to the devices. I see a replacement in my future.

Thanks!!!

14. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    S your remote is RF but is converting the commands into IR to send to the unit via a small IR blaster that is attached to the front of the unit?

15. JohnD33

JohnD33 New Member

May 30, 2010
    Yes, that is what I was trying to say. Thanks.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just remembered that this happened to me a few months ago. I have two 24-500s and a 20-700 stacked in the room most used for watching TV and both of the 500s did exactly what you said. The 20-700 had no issues at all. I put both 500s in IR, fortunately that room is ideal for IR remotes, and the problem vanished.

But, I have four more 24-500s in the house and none of them had that problem. Kinda strange, no?

Rich

17. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    It's very strange. And the HR24-500 does not have to be in RF to have the problem, mine has always been in IR. I have no idea what triggers the problem, or what makes it stop.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. Mine work perfectly in IR. I thought about this last night and the two 500s I had the problem with are on one SWM16 and the others are on another SWM16. Could this be the reason I didn't have the problems with my other 500s? Kinda makes me think the SWMs might be the problem.

Rich

19. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    My HR24-500 is on an SWM16, but I can't think of anything that would cause an SWM16 to trigger this issue.....

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But think about my system. What other thing in my system would cause my problems on those two 500s and not on the 500s on my other SWM16s? If there is a "trigger" for this issue, why weren't all my 500s similarly effected? I don't have the technical ability to even understand how a SWM works, but they are the only things that separate my 500s from each other. Interesting puzzle...

Rich