Hr24-500 won’t refresh?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sticketfan, Sep 11, 2020.

1. sticketfan

sticketfan Legend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vermont
    My hr24-500 will only get 722 refresh service message have tried everything even called last Saturday and technician couldn’t even refresh it...told me a ticket would be sent and they would be working on it and keep me informed via email haven’t heard anything...any suggestions?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried taking out the smart card and cleaning it off with a soft cloth and maybe alcohol ? The chip sometimes gets dust on it and will not read.
    Other times for some reason the chip burns itself and will no longer work.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Have you confirmed that you are receiving a satellite signal? If you're not getting a signal, the refresh hit will be missed.

When was the last time you used this DVR to watch live TV or record a program?

4. sticketfan

sticketfan Legend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vermont
    I haven’t used it in probably a week a go

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Are you getting a satellite signal?

Menu->Settings->Satellite

6. sticketfan

sticketfan Legend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vermont
    Signal is fine

7. sticketfan

sticketfan Legend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vermont
    Does directv no longer just send you a different receiver? I mean it’s beginning to be bs that I can’t use it

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    As a last resort:
    Unplug the receiver, Call them and tell them it will not do anything.
    They will get you to try the usual things. Just go along with them and say "No, that did not work". Tell them that if you plug a lamp into the same socket the receiver is in, that the lamp works.
    When they have gone thru their script they should then tell you that they will send you a replacement receiver.

9. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    except they are going to want to roll a truck. They won't just send receivers any more. I tried for my latest HR24 replacement.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Eh something is off there

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Every HR that I have returned for a replacement since the merger has been replaced with the same model 24 that I had to have replaced. Send in a 24-500 and I get a 24-500. Of course, if you have to have a 23 or a 22 replaced you get a 24. Any model.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I haven't had to get a replacement in several months, things seem to have changed. Why would anyone need an installer to set up a 24? Anyone that comes here.

Rich

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is pretty pointless to speculate why AT&T has made many of its business decisions but I'm sure AT&T would like to reduce their support costs and increase their customer satisfaction and making sure that everyone's setup is as current and correct as possible is one way to accomplish that.

It is painfully apparent that many subscribers can't (or won't for reasons of TOS violations) accurately report their system configuration so AT&T perhaps feels compelled to inventory the installations themselves.

14. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I argued with them for days until they finally told me that the only way I was going to get a new box was to have them roll a truck. I finally relented.

codespy likes this.
  15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't doubt what you've written, I just find it hard to believe. Since the merger, I've had several HRs replaced and there were a couple times that nothing I did to activate the replacements worked, and I had to have an installer do it but I thought they had that fixed. The last two replacement HRs were easily activated.

Rich

16. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I am with you. Used to be when I had the PP, all I had to do was call and go through the troubleshooting steps and then they'd put one in the mail. Now, they roll a truck. No wonder ATT is losing money on DTV.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh, you don't have the Protection Plan? Perhaps that's why they want you to use an installer? I've always had it in some form.

Rich

18. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I used to have it and recently dropped it - but they rolled a truck last year when my genie went on the fritz while I was on the PP

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I almost missed that. Good point, why would they send an installer out to do a simple job like activating an HR? That's a waste of money for the most part. I can't believe they do that out of paranoia about what you have where in your home.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A Genie I could kinda see a reason for an installer, but a 24?

Rich