HR24 and AM21 Oddity

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sangs, Jan 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Has anybody seen this one before? Got a second AM21 for a new HR24 and set it up exactly as I did the one on my HR44. First time through, it did not list a few available channels. Did the initial setup again and this time it comes back with the missing channels listed, but now several others had disappeared. Finally, after re-doing the initial setup for about the 10th time or so, all the available channels were listed and available. Why such an odyssey? I thought the channels listed were in a database based on my zip code and not based on a scan? Very strange, especially considering I only had to do the initial setup once for the AM21 on my HR44.

2. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    The main thing that would cause behavior like that is the reception is wavering when the AM21 goes through its process of acquiring channels, causing that effect. If you have very good reception and no up/down signals, its the circuitry in the AM21. I've worked with an AM21 for about 3 years and there are a lot of inconsistancies in how the AM21 does and doesn't pick up channels. The biggest factor is getting a good unwavering antenna signal for the AM21 to function properly. By adding an additional split of your antenna, you may have weakened your signal enough to cause a problem.

3. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Gotcha. No antenna signal split though, it's a second antenna in the same location.

4. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    That in itself, could be a major problem. If you have 2 antenna's in close proximity, it could cause multipath interference or channels from each antenna canceling one another out. I don't know what kind of antenna's you have and how close together they are, but that can cause problems.

5. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I had this same issue late last year. I had to run the off-air setup about 7 times for it to finally work.
    It seems the units don’t automatically populate based on what off-air channels you should get for your location, but rather what off-air channels you actually receive well enough during the time the setup process is taking place.
    I finally got it to work properly by connecting a long coax to the antenna, taking the antenna room closest to the TV towers and holding the antenna above my head, standing on a chair, and aiming the antenna directly to the TV towers.

6. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    That is a FACT of the AM21, since scanning was removed about 2 years ago. When it goes through it's setup process, it will only keep the channels that the signal is strong enough for AND channels that are in D* database for the zip code(s) you entered.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The AM21(N) can scan all day long; always could, absolutely must.

What was "removed" (disabled) was the ability of the Genies to scan. The H21 and HR21 and subsequent Plus HD models never had the ability to add channels that weren't available in the guide data. IIRC, the H20 can scan and the HR20 never could.

8. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I have had AM21's connected to an HR21, HR22, HR44, and two different HR24's. The first HR24 was a 500, and I had this exact problem with that combination. I tried multiple reboots, and multiple resetting of zip codes for the 2 markets I receive. Every time I would do it, different channels or subchannels would disappear or suddenly reappear. It had nothing to do, in my case, with the signal strength because almost all are 100 with no signs of multiplath. Also, channels and subchannels always have the same signal strength but sometimes one would be present and the other not. For example, I would get 6.1 but not 6.2. And next time it would reverse. I'd get 6.2 but not 6.1. Shortly after I got the HR24-500 it failed, and it was replaced with an HR24-200. That combined with the same AM21 has worked fine as have all the other DVRs I've paired an AM21 with. If your HR24 is a 500, I would suspect that is the problem. I don't think the HR24-500 ever worked well with the AM21 in lots of ways, and others have reported this as well.

SMK

1 person likes this.
  9. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    It is a 500 and this is exactly what happened. Signal strength for every channel was plenty strong enough and there were no multi path problems. However, I finally was able to get all available channels to populate, so I'm good to go. (Though from what I've heard/read about the 500s, I'm not feeling too confident about its long-term viability.)