1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 and issues with Charter cable phone service?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by KoRn, May 29, 2011.

1. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    We have had phone service through them for years. Including Directv. All of a sudden. When a call comes in. It answers to the sound of a fax machine? We do not have a fax machine. Charter tech. came out and checked the lines. Even the phone modem. All checked out fine. We use the caller id on the tv. Nice little feature. Any ways. Once he unplugged it. It works fine. He even made sure the jack was working properly. But, once plugged back in for Directv caller id to work. We get the fax sound and only 1 ring. Strangest thing ever. It has been working fine for years. 2 things I can think of. The latest HR24 firmware is not compatible? Or the cable company pushed new firmware on the telephone modem that might not work with Directv? Any idea?

2. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Wow! That message had more periods then the local ladies baseball league. :)

Are you sure there is nothing else sharing that physical line that has a modem built in like a laptop or computer or "all in one" printer? Have you tried disconnecting all other phone and computer devices in your home but leaving the only HR connected ?

I never was aware that the HR's even had answer capability.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But if that were the case, why would the problem stop when the DVR phone line is unplugged? Whatever has the modem is still plugged in.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It isn't clear that the DVR alone is what was plugged and unplugged (although I think that's what the OP was trying to convey). If unplugging the cable from the rear of the DVR fixes it, the DVR is indeed the problem. If the plugging and unplugging is being done elsewhere, it is almost certainly something else (like an inadvertently connected computer modem).

I can't imagine that the DVR modem has answering ability of any kind.

5. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Probably true, but for that matter I don't believe the HR's even have answer capability or my 4 would be answering every call that I received because my VM picks up after 10 rings. Gotta be more to this than meets the eye.

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    There's a requirement to enter a prefix into the dialing menu in order for the HR to correctly create a return path to Directv when using voip. IIRC it's *99

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The codes you speak of are for dialing out on Vonage and some other VOIP services, not answering.

8. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    OP says: "Once he unplugged it. It works fine."

Please. Tell us. What is unplugged? What is 'it'?

Also. Is. Your dish. Properly grounded? Did. Something recently. Change with your wiring. To the DVR?

One. More thing. Do you have. Any more STB's?

9. jes

jes Icon

Apr 20, 2007
    I have Vonage (VoIP) and never heard of such a code or a dialing menu (pre HD?)... maybe you're thinking of *70 which disables call waiting? BTW Vonage works fine with D* receivers, I disconnect my receivers because with 4 receivers I often got calls dumped into Voice-mail because the D* receivers were calling home. :nono2: If your HR2x is networked you don't need it since it's talking to D* via the Internet anyway...

As for the OP question, phone lines have a limit on the number of devices connected, ringer load. Now-a-days it's probably a non issue with electronic ringers and mult handset wireless bases, but still might be considered. Ask Charter what the maximum ring load is.

10. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Originally. The main phone was hooked up to the modem using a splitter. Both in the same room for phone and modem. The HR24 is in the living room. We had the extra phone line plugged in for caller id with the HR24. It just stopped working out of no where. It answers to a fax on first ring now. Since the tech. visit. I decided to move the phone in the living room and plug it in the jack where the HR24 box was using for caller id. Now if I put the phone splitter in. It answers like a fax machine. Even with out it by putting the phone back in the original location with the modem. No wiring or any thing has changed. We have another box HR22 in the back room.

Bedroom
    Modem
    Phone

Living room
    HR24 phone line for caller id

Now it looks like this

Bedroom
    Modem

Living room
    Phone
    HR24

As I said though with locations with or with out a splitter. It still answers like a fax machine. It is crazy. This has started after 3+ years of no problems with the caller id.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm guessing you'll have to rely on the telephone for Caller ID henceforth. DIRECTV has proven quite resistant to replacing receivers that have only one failure (HDMI, Ethernet, etc.).

12. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    I never even gave it thought it could be the Directv box. Hmm...

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    The simplest test would be to disconnect the main home phone connection going to the charter box thereby removing EVERYTHING else from the mix and plug the HR directly into the charter box so it is the only device connected in your home and see what happens.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not completely true. The only time this has happened has been for a HDMI port failure. Ethernet port and phone jack failures will get replaced.

- Merg

Sent from my iPod touch using DBSTalk

15. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    +1

We had a lightening strike last year that knocked out everything in the house connected to our ethernet & phone lines. It hit the Charter box at the street and came in through our Charter cable, then our Ooma box (voip phone system) and then hit two of our DVR's.

The only impact to our DVR's was the phone section and therefore caller ID. D* replaced the two STB's for us...........