1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 and SWM question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I'm moving my HR23 into the bedroom, and replacing it with an HR24. Right now I don't have a SWM setup, don't need it. Two cables go to the HR23, and one to a standard receiver in the bedroom, so now I could simply add one more cable, going to the bedroom, where the HR23 will now be, and everything will be fine, except now I'd have to use BBC's on the HR24.

I have a few questions.......is it worth it, at this point, to switch to a SWM setup, and if so, what exactly does that entail? Am I just switching out my current LNB and ???
    If I'm understanding this correctly, the multiswitch is at the receiver, yes? If so, then I'd simply need one cable going to each receiver, and they are split at the receiver, thus allowing both tuners to work. Hopefully I'm on the right page with this.

Lastly, If I decide to just add another cable to have access to both tuners on the HR23 that will now be in the bedroom, I will have to use BBC's on the HR24 in the living room. I know plenty of people have to do this, and I had them on the HR22, with rarely a problem, but I'm of the thinking that it's just one more thing that breaks the line and that can have a problem......is that just taking it too far? The HR23 will actually control a tv in the kitchen, so the DVR aspect won't be that big a deal, but pausing, rewinding and such will, so I might take the easier way out for now. Any thoughts on any of this greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Without going to a SWiM, you'll need to run another coax from the dish [or the multi-switch if you have one].
    The 24 does need to have BBC, which your 23 doesn't.
    I've gone to the SWiM LNB and haven't looked back.
    Change the LNB, add a splitter to feed your two locations, connect the PI to power it and each DVR only needs one coax to SAT #1 for both tuners to work.
    We had some rain here a couple of weeks back [about 4"+] and saw the 771a message pop up. Checked my levels and all my HD were in the teens, yet I only saw a few moments of lost programing.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    With a SWM LNB, the SWM switch is inside the LNB. A single line comes from the LNB, and is split as needed with simple (but specific, high-quality) cable splitters, as needed, to get lines to each receiver. A power inserter will be inserted into the line somewhere, as long as the PI itself is indoors.

A SWM LNB will feed a max of 8 tuners (DVRs use 2 each), and cannot be expanded, but it a great setup if you only have 8 or less tuners.

4. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I may not get it done before my HR24 shows up, but I'm definitely going to do it pretty soon. My in laws finally switched to Directv today, and I was at their house talking to the installer about it, and it sounds too easy, just didn't realize it. I already have the cables in place. So I have a couple questions. I know I have to change the LNB, and I'll also need the splitter, and power inserter. If I understood the installer right, the splitter could just be mounted under my eaves, out of the weather, right before the cables take off into the attic and their respective receivers, and he said the power inserter just goes inside, near the receiver, and it only goes on one cable for the entire house. Am I following this correct?

Also, the LNB I'm familiar with, but what particular type, or brand of splitter and power inserter do I get? Can I get everything I need as a "kit". This is brand new to me, but sounds pretty simple, just want to get the right components. Thanks in advance!

5. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    You can go to www.solidsignal.com And search for each of those and they will ship it to you. That is where I go for dtv equipment and its great. Decent prices too.