HR24 and Vizio TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DrummerBoy523, Sep 14, 2020.

1. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    When my HR24 is plugged into my new V Series Vizio via HDMI, there are several options on the Vizio Picture menu greyed out - Contrast, Color, Tint for example.

When I turn off the HR24, those options become available.

When I plug in a different receiver, say my H24 into the same or different HDMI, those options don't grey out and stay available.

Finally - I have an XBOX plugged into one of the HDMI ports also. When I'm watching DTV, but turn on the XBOX (I don't switch inputs), the audio from the DTV box cuts out and stops sending. The audio also stops as well if I actually switch inputs to the XBOX.

I've tried two different Vizio TVs - same results.

What is going on?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It sounds like your Visio TVs are having some HDMI-Consumer Electronics Control (HDMI-CEC) problems. If you're not intending to use CEC, turn it off on the TV(s). Hopefully the TV will heed your wishes (some brands/models don't and Visio has had their issues in the past). If the problem doesn't go away when you disable CEC on the TV (meaning that your Visio TV are among those devices that don't actually disable CEC when you tell them to), disable it on all of the source devices.

The absence of picture controls may be an indication that the TV thinks your HR24 is a computer (another CEC problem).

Turning on any CEC device should cause a CEC compliant TV to switch to that device. Again, disabling CEC should fix that.

3. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Well, I certainly can turn it off on the Vizio, and tried, but it didn't fix the issue. I could certainly see if there is a software update for it.

I don't think there is a way to turn it off on the DTV box?

I'll see if I can turn it off on the XBOX.

Thanks!

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm not sure my information is current but try this:

Menu->Settings & Help->Settings->Display->Video->HDMI Control->Off

5. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    so, that didn't help. I honestly think it is the TV. When I turn on the XBOX (regardless of whether I switch inputs), the Vizio is sending some type of signal to the HR24, and the HR24 is stopping the audio. The XBOX doesn't appear to have CEC enabled, and I've turned it off at the TV as well.

6. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    update - there is a setting on the vizio for the HDMI mode. It was set to "Auto" but apparently needed to be set to 1.4 for DirecTV

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I still haven't figured out why you're turning on the Xbox when your watching DIRECTV but I'm trying to not get hung up in that.

All of your devices apparently have CEC enabled regardless of the menu settings or they wouldn't be interacting with each other through the TV. I suspect that turning on the Xbox is seizing at least the audio portion of the TV signal away from the HR24. I'd be real surprised if the Xbox didn't have a CEC setting. This is indeed the TV's fault and outside of getting a firmware update that corrects it, the best you can hope for is to disable as much CEC as you can.

Another option would be to run everything through an AVR and turn off CEC there. This would likely require using two remotes (for switching between devices at least) but if the TV is going to be a bad citizen, there are no easy workarounds.

8. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Turning on the Xbox was just a part of the troubleshooting. What was originally happening was that when we flipped over to play Xbox and then came back to the tv input, there was no sound.

The Xbox does not have CEC turned on as far as I know. I double checked all the options. Unless there is something hidden in the menu options that I can’t find, I’ve turned it off (I still think the Xbox is one of the culprits). Turned it off on the HR24 as well.

Turns out the Vizio has an HDMI mode setting that was set to Auto/2.1 When it was changed to 1.4, the issue went away. Although, the TV still is greying out some picture settings - which leads me to believe the tv still is misinterpreting what type of device the HR24 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk