1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 Antenna Input Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by skizer, Aug 10, 2012.

1. skizer

skizer AllStar

May 16, 2004
    Hello all-- I just received an HR24 this week and was told when I activated it over the phone that I could hook up an antenna (rabbit ears) to the back and it would bring in any local channels that the antenna picked up.

The box / antenna have been hooked up for about 24 hours now and I dont see any of the local sub channels showing up on the receiver.

Did I get bad info from the CSR or is there something that I need to do on my end to make it work?

2. zhezhang

zhezhang AllStar

May 8, 2010
    There is no antenna connections on the HR24. You will need to add an AM21 (or AM21N) to do that.

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Whoever told you that is completely misinformed, which unfortunately seems to be quite common with CSRs.

You will need an extra box (AM21) to add the capability of tuning in off-the-air (OTA) signals. This box costs around $50.

Now, if you call Directv and ask about getting an AM21, the CSR won't know what you are talking about . . . you need to order it as an accessory from the Directv web site, or buy it from a place like Solid Signal.

Hooking it up is easy, it doesn't require a tech visit. (Plus, the Directv techs mostly don't know anything about it either.)

Keith