1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 - DECA Adapter for Internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by enderSTi, May 23, 2010.

1. enderSTi

enderSTi Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    Ok, I went through the nightmare (brand new to DTV) install which left me with MRV but not internet. I understand that the HR24 is either DECA or Ethernet, and not both. With that said, I refuse to spend another $100 getting a install just for the internet, I'd rather buy the parts and do it myself. I also figured the install wouldn't give me a wireless bridge as I don't have any nice place to run more CAT5 or RG6.

So my question is this. Can I do this... See Attachment.

As you can see from the picture, I am putting the DECA adapter inline between the SWM power box and the HR24.

Does this work?

Can the DECA adapter run off 12volts?

Can I put the DECA adapter inline anywhere, or does it need its own RG6 run to the SWM box?

If not , I could put my wireless bridge somewhere else in the house that has a empty coax line running to my box outside (where my SWM is). Because my SWM is outside, and my cable internet comes in via coax as well, there isn't anywhere in my house with two coax runs to the same place so its difficult to hardwire a DECA to the internet.

Make sense? Ping this thread back with any questions, clarifications, or even better....answers, thanks a ton.

Attached Files:

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    you need one more splitter (unless you have a spare port on the swm).. putting it in line like that will block any reciever behind it..
    also the deca will need it's own powersupply..

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
  4. enderSTi

enderSTi Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    I thought as much. It's ok. Even though my SWM is outside, what I'm gonna do is just connect a random COAX run that is in a room without TV or Internet.

(SWM)<---->(COAX in Random Room)<--->(DECA Adapter)<--->(Power & Wireless Bridge)

Sorry the power and wireless bridge label is more of a "Y" one to DECA 18v power, one a ethernet line to my bridge.

Thanks so much for your help, 5 minutes on here kicking the a$$ of 5 hours on the phone yesterday with tech support. And now I'll actually own the equipment, thank you solid state.

5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    As others have said, no, you can't do that.

You need:
    A DECA
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...DECA--(DECA1MR01)&c=Satellite Components&sku=
    A power supply for the DECA
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...Supply-(PS18DER0)&c=Satellite Components&sku=
    and maybe a splitter
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...itter-(2-2150-MHz)&c=Satellite Splitters&sku=

6. enderSTi

enderSTi Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    Would putting in a splitter degrade the signal? I'm not familiar with SAT but with cable I always tried to split as least amount of times as possible.

Thanks again.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe not "degrade" but will drop the level. One needs to understand how splitters work and their effects, but normally this shouldn't be an issue, if done correctly.

8. enderSTi

enderSTi Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    Ah, ok, SWM splitter nice.

Alright, I'm gonna buy that stuff.

Thanks so much for your help, I figured I was reposting a little bit, but I had a hard time finding info on HR24 stuff.

Thanks again.

9. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007

Well it depends on how much it's already split. If your SWM goes to a 4-way splitter, I wouldn't think twice about splitting it again for the 'bridge'.

If it goes to an 8-way splitter, it would certainly be preferable to have a coax run to one of the unused ports on the 8-way.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    FWIW: I've had to go 2-way to 4-way to 2-way and worked fine. Of course I didn't use long coax runs between them, but had 60' feeding them.
    With an 8-way feeding another 8-way you've just about run out of signal.

11. enderSTi

enderSTi Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    Yeah, mine is a dish->4way->boxes right now. I'm just gonna split it. I may just buck up and run some CAT five around my living room to my router...

Otherwise, I'm just gonna get a good ole Linksys WRT54g and convert it to a bridge, $18 bucks on ebay....choices choices...

12. enderSTi

enderSTi Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    Solid state order done, now all I have to do is wait!

Thanks again for all of your help, this forum frickin rules. 5 Minutes on here vs. 5 hours on the phone, thanks again guys.

13. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    It's really unfortunate that DirecTV isn't allowing the on-board ethernet to bridge onto the DECA network. Needing a separate deca with its own split feed and power inserter just to bridge on a LAN for VOD seems messy and costly, when it's very likely one receiver will have nearby networking. I'm of the camp that more coax splices and splits means more potential issues to troubleshoot.

For now I'm just going without VOD. I never used it much anyway.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It isn't "unfortunate" that they won't allow something that causes the DVR to slow down as it steals CPU cycles away from the DVR functions.

15. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I am doing what you describe and it is working fine. I know it is not supported but until/unless I notice a problem I can't justify the extra expense.

I use VOD very little also.

16. enderSTi

enderSTi Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    Actually, most modern computing platforms have networking hardware has a separate chip for handing network traffic, then shares the data via a shared memory chunk. Its actually a quite fast and efficient thing. (Just like your PC and a external NIC, the NIC does all the work, and most desktops just have a integrated NIC on the motherboard).

My guess is that DTV's ultimate goal was that the installs would be going much smoother than they have been with this whole room thing. Eventually, the techs will know to say "So if you want VOD, your're gonna need this" or it will just become part of the standard install package.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    @enderSTi:

If you had DirecTV perform the MRV upgrade, did they not include an additional DECA for connecting the DECA cloud to your current home network? When I asked for the upgrade, you should have been asked if you use DirecTV on Demand. If you answered yes to that, your order should have been for the upgrade plus Internet. You should just be able to call back to DirecTV and request that they complete your install which should include that "extra" DECA and any splitters needed.

As for owning the equipment, except for any receivers that are leased, you own all of the equipment that has been installed at your house by DirecTV.

- Merg

18. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Most modern computing platorms are not the HR DVRs. It has been verified by DirecTV that the DVRs that have 2 ethernet connections are not hardware switched connections. They steal CPU cycles from the DVR if devices are plugged into both ports. It can cause unpredictable problems not only in the HRs, but in other devices on your home network. It is not recommended.

19. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You are probably not doing this on an HR24 or H24, though. The will not work correctly in that configuration. And if they worked briefly, they would revert to ethernet connection only (no DECA) upon reboot. Upon reboot, if an ethernet cable is connected, the boxes come up in ethernet mode, not DECA.

20. enderSTi

enderSTi Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    Ohhh, haha, that sucks then. I rescind my previous comment. That really irks me(I work in embedded systems, and this concept isn't old). But oh well.

@Merg
    Yes, I did say to the tech I wanted MRV as well as On Demand (I ordered the MRV $3/mo with him there). Even his supervisor was there for the conversation. When we talked about On Demand, all he said I needed was a wireless bridge to my HR24, to get into my network (which I knew I had to get), he even quoted a model number of a good bridge. What I think the problem is, is that the internet and MRV wasn't in my original work order (nor could it be because I ordered my service prior to May 13th.) I have tried talking to multiple CSR's to try and get my install changed to "incomplete install", but nobody will do it, or is able to, I'm not sure which. But in the end I am spending $75 on equipment, instead of $75 on a install. I guess its the principle of the thing for me.

For everything else DTV I really enjoyed my experience, its just a bummer that the information and install kinks havn't been worked out yet. I mean unless one is a forum savy user, there has to be many other non-technical people that are having a hell of a time getting these new features to work.

Again, thanks for all of your's help.