HR24 died, what will I get?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ShapeGSX, Dec 4, 2019.

1. ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    I have an HR24 DVR that just died. I also have an HR34 on my system that is slow as hell (slower than the HR24 was) and also glitches from time to time. I have a slimline dish.

If I ask for a warranty replacement of my leased equipment, what am I likely to get?
    I assume I will not have a 2 year commitment added to my account?
    Will it require a service call? Or will they just ship it?

I'm not 100% sold on staying with DirecTV. It's so expensive now, and other options are starting to pop up. I spend far more time watching Netflix/Disney+/CBS/Amazon streaming these days than DirecTV, but I'm spending far more on DirecTV. :-/ That's why I don't want another 2 year commitment.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    You will Get another HR24 --and NO Commitment if that's all do is replace for the same equipment =NO commitment-- DO get Caught up in "Upgrade" at any point as that will add 2 years - If you want to REPLACE the HR34 --Just say it's Dead and they will trigger a replacement only -with no commit. --If BOX"S do NOT power up --Then NO testing loop while on the phone.

Other than that --Now would be a Perfect time for you to cancel and leave (as well) Your Choice.

3. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    ^^^ What he said.
    Ring, Ring. Hello DTV, I got up this morning and my HR 24 was completely dead. I checked the power outlet with a lamp and it has power. When I plug in the HR 24, nothing happens and I don't hear anything like a fan or hard drive. It's just dead. If they push back about the power cable, tell them you tried a power cable from a working HR 24 and it didn't make any difference (I actually had one CSR refuse to ship me a replacement unit until they shipped me a power cable first).

If you have the protection plan, they should ship you one for free. If you don't have the PP, it will be $19.99. Once you have the replacement HR-24 setup and working, watch anything you haven't watched on the HR34, write down your series lists and then call back and repeat the process for the 34. They don't send out 34's any longer, so you'll get a 44 or 54 to replace the 34. If you don't have the PP, don't let them talk you into it. Just pay the two $19.99 shipping fees and call it a day.

It's a pain you have to do it this way, but it's the easiest way to get through all the BS red tape and get stuff replaced.

P Smith and Rich like this.
  4. ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    Thank you guys for the help!

The HR24 magically came back to life yesterday!

But in the meantime, I also signed up for a 3 week trial of YouTube TV in the meantime. I'm not convinced that the price for it will stay at $50 a month. During the 3 weeks, I'll see if it really has all of the channels that we tend to watch and is reliable enough. If I can deal with the channel losses, I may end up switching after all, because the features of it are pretty amazing.