1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 from Directv discounted for long time customer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by slapshot1959, May 21, 2010.

1. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Just received a nice new HR24 from Directv I ordered the other day and got a nice discount on it as well ($99.00).

Contrary to what I've read here you can get a guaranteed HR24 from them, and at a decent price to boot.

This is my second one actually, as I ordered from Solid Signal as well, but at full price so I guess I averaged a halfway decent deal on two.

They told me as a loyal customer ('95) I'm entitled to one per year, discounted, and also an H24 for free if I so choose. (which I didn't)

:)

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    DirecTV guaranteed you an HR24 and shipped it to you?

That's a new one. Enjoy. :)

Mike

3. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Yup.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It's possible that the CSR guaranteed it for you, even though they can't do that and then you happened to get one anyway.

The CSR might have guaranteed one to the next caller too, and they received something different (and are at this moment complaining somewhere on another forum).

5. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    I also paid $99 for my HD DVR, but my current "status" is listed as "since 2006". When you call these CSR's, sometimes you get lucky.

6. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    That was my thought as well...

It would be nice if true... but I'm skeptical... :(

~Alan

7. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Did you already have "Connected Home" activated on your account.

Maybe with that activated, HR24 ships by default.

8. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    When I was talking to a DirecTV CSR the other day, he said that when MRV is activated on your account, they either send you an HR24/H24, or send you a receiver with a DECA included.

Of course, this is a CSR we're talking about, so take it with a grain of salt...

~Alan

9. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I ordered a $99 DVR online the day after I had the whole home DVR installed & I got an HR21-100-R. I had already told the CSR I spoke with that I would refuse it if it weren't an HR24 so no biggie to send it back. I didn't open the box to verify if they included a DECA.

10. Griff

Griff Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    Customer since July 1994. I called Wednesday to have MRV added to my account, and told them I wanted to use my existing ethernet network. Now it's important to note, I always talk nice to these folks no matter what I am really thinking. First CSR said it couldn't be done and besides my account didn't show I ever was in the beta program. I tried to explain that yes it can be done and how. I was escalated to tech support only to be told the same thing. I asked her if she would at least try the steps as I read them to her. She was willing, and MRV is now working using my existing network.

Feeling like I was on a roll, I tried to score a couple of HR24s, but was politely told to pound sand. I ordered two from Beach Audio, shipped next day with scheduled delivery on Monday.

So, being a longtime customer doesn't work in everyone's favor!

11. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010

Just curious - if you call in, to get an HR24, and the CSR says that you'll be getting one, and something else shows up - can anyone just send it back, with a note that they've made a mistake? If a technician shows up to install it, and it's not what you want, can you say "no thanks, that's not what I ordered"?

If not, what can you do?

12. stilen621

stilen621 Legend

Dec 17, 2009
    You got "lucky" with a CSR ? I never have but sometimes they have nice voices :hurah:

13. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    I do not have that activated on my account.

14. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    The retention CSR who placed my DECA order said they would replace my HR20 with a HR24. The day the installer came we had a freak April snowstorm and he could not get on the roof and I had to reschedule. He had the HR24 with him. I asked for the same technician for the reschedule three days later. They sent a different tech who did not have a HR24. He called the shop and told them I was promised one. He finished the install, ran back to the shop, and brought a HR24 back about 40 minutes later.

15. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Just to be clear, DirecTV CSR's have absolutely no way at all to order you a certain model of a reciever. If the CSR told you were getting a HR24 he was either misinformed or most likely lying to get you off the phone (which is wrong). As luck would turn out you got a HR24 and that is great.

16. Richard L Bray

Richard L Bray Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    It didn't for me.

17. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    As far as I know, you can always refuse a shipment with no penalty. I'd seen someone else here mention refusing the shipped item if it wasn't an HR24 so I knew it was possible. However, before I ordered I called & spoke with a CSR for a good while about the situation. Both of us knew she could not specify nor guarantee what model would ship but both of us also thought the odds were good for an HR24 since I had just had the MRV service installed. I was upfront that I wanted an HR24 only & she noted my account that I would send anything else back & order online elsewhere. It didn't seem to be a big deal. When I got an HR21 from D* I called back to have them note my account that it was being returned. Now, of course, I have to see how long it takes for the refund to show up on my credit card.

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you want an HR24, and you want it from DIRECTV, your best bet is to have them include the installation. It seems that installers are almost completely switched over the HR24's now. That's no guarantee, but I think your chances will be greatly improved.

19. ronkuba

ronkuba Legend

Feb 17, 2007
    Milwaukee area tech told me he hasn't even seen one until he seen mine. Said the shop has a bunch of HR22 and HR23 in stock.

20. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Out here in the sticks, a local installer said that they do not have HR-24s but they do have H24s.
    Of course, they didn't even get any DECA modules until last Wednesday.