HR24/HDMI Problem ...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Janice805, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    My HR24-100 has started making loud noises so I ordered a new (reburbished) one. Received an HR24-500 and activated it yesterday. I put in it the same place in my bedroom, same HDMI already connected to the TV, etc.

Picture, but no sound and no Whole Home. Additionaly, I had a longer HDMI that I would plug into my previous HR24 when I wanted to watch TV in the room across the hall. So I plugged in that HDMI. There was a message on that TV stating "YOUR TV DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM'S CONTENT PROTECTION, etc."

So my 2 previous HDMI connections don't work suddenly with the new HR24. I had to steal the HDMI from my Apple TV to hook up my bedroom TV to get sound (and WH). Today, a technician is coming out.

What the heck? Why with a different HR24 will my 2 previous HDMI's (already in place) not work? And there's nothing wrong with them because I checked them with other devices. Thoughts before the tech arrives today???

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Go into Display Settings and see if HDMI Control is set to On.

3. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    Hey, thanks. That cured 1/2 of my problem. The HDMI that's connected to the room across the hall now works ... yeah. But, when I use the HDMI 1 on my primary bedroom TV, still no sound. To get sound, I need to use my Apple TV HDMI. I get a picture, but no sound. So weird. So, what does HDMI ON mean? (I turned it off like you indicated).

4. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    OK for the sound problem, it's NOT the HDMI cable. It's HDMI 1 that my old HR24 was hooked to for my Direct TV connection. No sound for the newer HR24 on HDMI 1 no matter which HDMI cable I use.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Sounds like the new HR24's HDMI output is slightly weaker than the other one's. You probably need a powered HDMI splitter if you want it to be reliable.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  6. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    See if the tech has something other than a 24-500 on his truck. Even though they are supposed to be exactly the same, I've seen subtle differences between the different manufacturers and HDMI connections. I have a 55" Panasonic Plasma and when it was connected to the HR24-200 at my house, it gave the HDMI copy protection error every time the TV and DTV unit were powered on at the same time. If I powered on the TV first and then the 200, it worked fine (powered on meaning the 200 was taken out of standby, not a full power-on). I swapped the 200 with a 500 from a different room and the issue went away. So in that case, it seemed like the 200 timed out the HDMI connection much quicker than the 500.

7. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    The old receiver was an HR24-100 and the newer one is an HR24-500. It's the -500 that's giving me problems with HDMI connections. So what do I want to tell the tech? I don't want the -500 but want a XXX?

8. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The tech isn't going to have a clue what you're talking about lol.

I'm going to agree with Slice on this one. Long HDMI runs are very temperamental. The cable + old DVR happened to work. The cable + new DVR doesn't. You can try an optical HDMI cable, but they are pretty expensive. Or experiment with different HDMI cables.

9. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    This ^ I've put up with a 500 for years that didn't play well with my AM21, swapped it last week with a 200 and it works perfectly.

10. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    OK, so no real answer as to why the (newest) HR24 won't work properly on HDMI 1. It's like that input is now locked onto my old HR24. He put it on HDMI 2 and it works. But then I had a better solution. Had him put my bedroom TV (where the HR24 is located) on component video then hooked my other TV, across the hall) up via HDMI. I was switching HDMI cables daily (to service the two TVs) so now I don't have to and I have DTV in both rooms depending on which room I'm in. Walla !!! Sorry, I don't know how to make the enclosed picture smaller ...

upload_2019-3-11_14-26-53.jpeg ther room (across the

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is possible that you are not getting HD picture with that setup.
    If you get an HDMI Powered splitter you can run both TVs on HDMI and get HD pictures.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    She should be getting HD with component, so long as that TV with HDMI is turned on.

Janice805 - the one thing you'll run into using one HDMI and one component output is that if you turn off the TV connected to that HDMI output then you'll see a message on your component output about HD not being supported. That's a rule the MPAA forced on set top boxes to "protect their content".

The powered splitter avoids this - even if you wanted to split your HDMI to multiple TVs and use component for another TV it will always work so long the splitter has power, since as far as the receiver knows what is on the other end of that HDMI connection is always active.