1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr24 not rebooting without external hd

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Gwolf, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Gwolf

Gwolf New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Love the forum! Took everyone's advice and got seagate evd esata 2tb hard drive with mx1 enclosure for brand new hr24. I hooked up the seagate following d* posted instructions. DVR display said it was formatting hard drive. Everything worked fine after formatting. Did test record, played back fine.

Two questions: test record was only a 30 minute HD show. However, percentage meter said there was 99% left. If I'm recording on 2tb, shouldn't the percentage not move that much? Does the % meter become useless with an external hdd?

Second..I reversed installation and removed external hdd to check if it was recording on it or the internal hdd. With the external hdd removed, the hr24 isn't showing a screen or booting up. I reattached the external hdd, and hr24 boots up fine. I did test record on the internal hdd before hooking up seagate to see if it disappeared from the list once the seagate was hooked up. Unfortunately, wife deleted the program so I can't check it that way.

Thoughts on the % issue and how I can tell if it's using the seagate?

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Your Series Link check to see what it looks like what shows, how many, what order on the internal drive then hook up the external there should be nothing on it unless you set some up

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think you mean you got a WD EVDS HDD. Seagate doesn't use those model numbers (EVDS). Kinda strange to call "EVDS" a model "number", but how else to do it? :)

Even a 15 minute show recorded on an empty HDD would probably cause the meter to show 99%. It only works in one percentage point increments and it does show the capacity of the external HDD.

That shouldn't happen. The 24 should boot up on it's internal drive.

Put a recording on the external, pull the plug on the HR and the plug on the external and plug in the HR. It should boot up on the internal drive. Record just a few minutes of an obscure show and then pull the plug on the HR. Plug in the external, let it come up to speed, then plug in the HR. After it boots up go to the Playlist and you should NOT see the obscure program that you recorded on the internal. You should see the show you recorded on the external.

Rich

4. Gwolf

Gwolf New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    You guys rock! Thanks for the correction of the hdd brand. Good to know that the meter does read the external hdd. I still don't know why the hr won't reboot when the external hdd isn't connected. Hmm

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you can't get the internal HDD to boot at all, then the device my be having trouble. The external device will bypass the internal device which is why it works that way. If you are planning on using the external device exclusively then you may be fine to be status quo; however, you may want to consider getting the unit replaced. It is likely that it will run just fine with the external HDD, though.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't recall ever seeing a post about this. Very curious. Don't have any idea how the 24s work, but if you had a bad internal in a 20-700 it might not run at all. I know you can't disconnect the internal drives in either of the 20s and just run off the externals anymore. That changed quite a while ago.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just a thought: Did you disconnect the eSATA to eSATA cable from the 24 and then try to reboot on the internal. Shouldn't make any difference, and I know it doesn't on most of the HRs, but the 24s are new and...

Rich

8. Gwolf

Gwolf New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I did unplug the esata cord from the 24, power down the 24, and pulled out the power plug of the 24 in order to reboot the 24 with just the internal, which it didn't do. The internal worked fine before I hooked up the external hdd. I plan on only running the external hdd. The 24 seems to run fine as long as the external hdd is connected. My concern is that the 24 won't boot without the external hdd connected. Should I keep worrying about it not rebooting without the external hdd or only worry about it if the external hdd develops problems?

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    A "connected" drive doesn't mean the read/writes are actually working.

10. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    If you shut off the external drive or pull esata cord from the dvr what happens

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Pulling the eSATA jumper is a bad idea. Might wreck the external. If you shut it off, you won't be able to watch the HR properly. It will try to play, but it'll freezeup. Or lockup, which is worse. Lots of bad things can happen if you do things like move the externals while they are working, drop the external, pull the jumper cord out. I know this because I've had bad experiences with externals, most caused by me unintentionally. Hard way to learn.

Rich

12. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Ok Rich, I had a FAP that died the receiver just rebooted and I saw the internal drive.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, but you used to be able to disconnect both the power cord and data cord on the internal and just run off the external. Can't do that now, that I know of without going thru "work arounds". I don't know about the 24s, but that seems as if that's what's happening to his 24. Why won't it boot up on the internal? I have no idea. Never seen or heard of this.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's normal. Good thing the HR rebooted. I've had that happen too. We should be glad the HRs have the good sense to reboot. But the TS seems to have a bad internal drive and I've never had that happen. I just lost my first internal HDD the other day. I've never had an internal go bad when I had an external running. I would think the TS is going to experience problems in the future with that HR. That's just a WAG, I've got no experience to base that on.

Rich

15. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I just open up the FAP and put it in an Antec MX-1 everything came right up

16. Gwolf

Gwolf New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I agree that pulling the cable during operation wouldn't be good. Sounds like the group is divided on if the non boot up with just the internal drive is a big issue. At least the 24 is running ok without freezes or glitching. Guess that should be enough, right? Any other thoughts? I'd hate to have a dvr go bad within two weeks of installation

17. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Did you ever have the internal drive running

18. Gwolf

Gwolf New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Yes. I did have internal drive running previously. My wife did record and playback a show on it, but deleted it before I could tell her to leave it on the drive to confirm that it was indeed using the external hdd. Bummer