1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 - On all the time?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by aizjanika, Dec 21, 2010.

1. aizjanika

aizjanika New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I'm trying to set up my Harmony One remote. The setup is asking me if I want to leave the HR24 on all the time. I've been using mostly Tivos up to now and I know they stay on all the time. Does an HR24 (or HR22, etc.) stay on all the time? Or do they shut off and turn on only when recording or when someone is watching? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    All DirecTV HD DVRs "stay on all the time", in terms of operating - the power on them never actually gets turned off.

They can record anything scheduled whether in "power up" mode or "standby" mode. To watch something, they need to be powered up.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The only way to power off a DVR is to pull the plug from the wall outlet.

Other than that is "on" even when it's "off".

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As HDTVFan mentioned, it's best to look at it as putting the recevier in suspend mode. All that really does though is turn off the audio/video outputs on the receiver.

- Merg

5. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    The others are correct; however you'll want to select to turn the unit off when not in use in your activity section of the harmony setup. This will turn off the front lights and shut off the outputs on the back; basically placing it in standby for all intensive purposes. It will wake to record by itself. :grin:

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    One minor correction. It won't wake by itself to record. Even while in standby mode it will record. While the front lights will stay off and the outputs on the back remain off, you will notice the Record light will be on.

- Merg

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    All this is true. In standby the lights are off and there is no output. It's important to understand the hard drive and fan (if any) are still running.

It's still buffering live TV but if DP was activitated and you put the unit in standby it will stop buffering the background tuner.

Of course it will record what's in the To-Do list.

Mike

8. aizjanika

aizjanika New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Thank you. That makes sense.

The Harmony setup didn't seem to know the HR24 remote. It had to learn it. It didn't know my Tivo remote either. I don't remember it being this difficult to set up the last time around.

9. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    IIRC, the Harmony IR database has all eight of the RCxx codesets. The HR24 uses the same codesets as all the other HR2x/H2x receivers. I have the 550 and the HR2x codeset were there.

Mike

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I just programmed my 880 to accept a second codeset in order to control two receivers independently. It required me to transmit a few commands from my Directv remote into the sensor of the Harmony (so it could determine which set to use), but it worked just fine.

11. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Ok, DVRS always stay technically "on" On my Harmony, I have it set to turn off just to turn off the lights....

12. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    That's correct, the lights are out and there is no output.

Mike

13. Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    As a side note, "shutting off" the receiver also saves some CPU processing horse power.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not really sure about that. As far as we know it just turns off the audio/video outputs on the back of the receiver. All other aspects of the receiver continue to function. So, I'm not sure how that will reduce CPU cycles.

- Merg

15. aizjanika

aizjanika New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I have my other Harmony One programmed to control the HR22-100 that I have in our famly room and have never had a problem with it. The new Harmony One (for my home office) does not like the HR24-500 that we have. I've put it in as a satellite receiver (and it knows it's a sat/DVR device), but it says it cannot change the channels. I've entered it as a DVR (and again knows it's a sat receiver/DVR), but it again says it can't change the channels.

So now we are taking your advice and trying to enter it as an HR22 or HR23, but that is also not working. It still says it can't change the channels. We've tried entering it as several types of devices, but no matter what we do, it doesn't work. I have no idea what we're doing wrong, because we had no problem setting up the other remote 2 years ago.

However, when I plugged in my older remote to my desktop (programming the new one on my laptop, so there won't be any confusion), there was an update for the HR22-100. I allowed the update so the Harmony added it as an extra device (not affecting the original HR22 settings) and it's calling this one a PVR and says it is not compatible with any of my activities. I'm not sure what the point of this update was then, but it makes me wonder if perhaps there's been some update that caused the Harmony to assume any new HR22s are DVRs only. Or if I'm the only one having this issue, perhaps it's just us.

This is getting very frustrating.

ETA: My husband fixed it. He had to delete everything and start over. I must have done something wrong in the initial setup and for some reason, no matter what new devices we added or how we set up the activities, it kept including my bogus info also and somehow messing things up.

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    What is more likely is that it frees up some processor cycles to do required housekeeping. From the beginning it has been noted that when in "standby", the unit is available to do housekeeping and pushed updates, whereas if the unit is in use, it has to have a "period" of inactivity elapse before the houskeeping routines will run.

Other than that, on and off are pretty much the same, except as noted above. Since I actually sleep at night and don't do a ton of recording overnight, I've left all my DVRs on all the time for years. They only leave that state when I have to pull the plug for some reason.

17. eddieras

eddieras Godfather

Aug 30, 2007
    is it harmful to leave it on all the time? i like having the buffer grab something when i turn on the tv!

18. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Nope; it's no more harmful to leave the outputs of the receiver on and really not much more energy usage then when in standby anyways....

19. eddieras

eddieras Godfather

Aug 30, 2007
    thanks!

20. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    On or "Off" does interact with the auto padding feature so it can be handy to turn the unit "off".

When the unit is on it will not prompt you and will skip padding 2 back to back recordings on different channels as it doesn't want to use both tuners for recording since you are watching one. If the unit is off it will use both tuners and will pad both recordings.