HR24 pixelation - options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by su_A_ve, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:43 PM.

1. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    I currently have an old dish with a separate SWM-8, 1x8 splitter, DECA and 2 HR24.

The older HR24 (activated in 2011) started to pixelate all of a sudden. Red button reset, and self-tests show ok, but within a minute or two pixelation started again, and got worse within a few minutes. Nothing recording, and tried a few broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, NBC). Recordings show the pxielation, and if I play back the recording on the other receiver, it follows through, showing not a TV or HDMI cable issue.

After an hour and a half of getting pushed protection package or a $99 truck roll, I could not get them to send a replacement receiver. They did offer to do an upgrade which I have no idea what would involve and said no contract extension (which I don't buy). Since AT&T took over, it seems they are a disaster. Tech insisted there was no way my dish could have 4 lines coming down - obvious they have no clue.

At this point, it could be the coax line, the splitter port or the receiver. I told them I would swap them out and see if the problem stays with the receiver.

But my question is what are my options? Are they really offering upgrades without a contract extension? If so, what should I be getting? I don't have a 4K TV yet, but can definitely see this in the near future. I've heard horror stories from Genie receivers and lack of response to remote controls. I also have one of the HR24 send the component output to a second location so don't want to loose this ability (this is not the one with the problem btw). I'd pay the $20 for a receiver swap but they insist on a truck roll.

I'm also on an old Ultra Especial package with has a good mix of Spanish and English tiers. Thanks in advance for comments.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you get an upgrade, there is a contract extension.

You could get an HR54 and a C61K to get 4K, but I'd just call back and talk with another rep. Push for the HR24 replacement.

But move your HR24 to another location to see if the problem follows that 24 or if it stays at that location. Ensure the cables connections are all tight. Move the cables at the splitter to see if it follows. You have an 8-way splitter for two 2-cable DVRs? Are the empty ports on that 8-way terminated?

With the new HS17 (aka Genie 2), each TV gets a mini client and none of your other DVRs will work.

Good luck.

3. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Thanks. Was surprised they were offering me an upgrade for free without a contract extension (out of contract for some time)

All empty ports are terminated but will check all connections after swapping the receivers. Nothing has been touched in a few years since I replaced the other HR24 (after an HR21 died).

Ran the Guided Tests and everything is fine...

Will post more tomorrow...

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's the misconception. If you not doing regular maintenance, the equipment slow depredating to certain point where some issues will comes up...
    Say, checking F-connectors for corrosion and watering (if there not done loops of coax - make it), resetting SWiM LNBF and switches, rebooting IRDs, changing batteries in remotes, cleaning TV screen's surface, etc

As last resort - make the DVR is "dead" ;) tell them it cannot boot, nothing on screen from it, etc

5. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    My HR24 is pixillating and breaking up worse than it ever has.

6. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    You wouldn't happen to be getting your networks from "Distant Networks" would you? My HR-24 has been breaking up badly from the New York NBC

I WANT MORE likes this.
  7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not sure I understand the last sentence. What "follows thru"? The other 24 you have shows no similar issues?

Rich

8. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    All that can be "seen" has been maintained. Power outage a couple of months ago took care of everything being rebooted. But maybe I'll redo all F-connectors just in case.

Not in this case - saw the other threads. But I do have NYC locals. And like I said, only happening on one receiver.

If I record something that's pixelating, but play it back on the other DVR, the pixelation is still present on the same spot. It looks like the recording proper, except the tuner is bad. Or the cabling...

242424 likes this.
  9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Or....wait for it.... the hard drive..... :)

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think it's the HDD. Seems like a broadcast problem but he's not seeing it on other HRs? He can replicate the pixelation, that always makes me think the broadcast caused it. I don't think I've ever changed out a drive on an HR because of issues I could replicate. When I see random audio or video problems that I can't click back and see again that's when I change drives.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have you tried recording the same program on the problematic HR and another HR? Do you see the same pixelation in the same spot on each HR when you do that? If you haven't done that, could you try it? You could also switch the HRs around and see what happens. See if the problem follows the HR. Or just occurs in that same spot on the other HR.

Rich

12. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I have the same issues on the HR24-500.
    No issues at all on HR54 and clients.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Many threads opened about same problem,,, posting same suggestion in each:

perhaps signal level on a verge ?

different mfg using different sat tuner/chips …

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 8:30 AM
  14. hsedsie

hsedsie New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    It is not the HDD. I have an HR24-500 with an external drive. Same issue with NYC locals when on internal HDD. Also have an HR20-700 and it has no issue.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    so, what is SS on those tpns/sats ?

16. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Check all connections and cables. It could be the splitter or a failing lnb. Yes it could affect one dvr and not another. Try different ports on the splitter. You really should have a swm lnb and get rid of the swm8 switch. Can you eliminate the splitter and go right off the switch? That would eliminate the splitter as a cause. If it is the dvr, tell them it's dead, won't even boot up and you need a replacement.

17. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    My HR24-500 developed a 10 point lower indicated signal on one tuner on one satellite, 99ca I think. You may want to check if you have something similar going on. If so, perhaps you locals were moved there, dunno. My older HR22 doesn't show the same performance degradation.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Would you explain to us _how_ exactly ?!

19. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    As you have noted in some of your posts, different dvrs have different chips. Some are more sensitive to signal strength than others.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no, not that what I'm posted

I'm asking about your statement - how failing (!!!) LNB "could affect one dvr and not another"