HR24 with 771 on Tuner 2 only

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rwmair, Mar 19, 2020.

1. rwmair

rwmair Godfather

Nov 16, 2006
    Hi,

Yesterday, I started getting 771 no-signal errors on Tuner 2 on my HR24. Tuner 1 gives high signal values for all satellites 99-103 except the 99s/103s spot-beams, as expected.

I have a SWM-LNB with one cable running from the dish to a 4-way green-label splitter. The splitter feeds a HR54 and the HR24. The HR54 has high signal on all 5 tuners on all satellites. The HR24 is served by a single coax cable running from the splitter. Nothing has been modified/changed in recent times; the splitter and the cable from it to the HR24 is all within the house.

Given all that, I'm wondering if the tuners can go bad in the HR units? I don't see anything that points to a hardware problem outside the HR24 box. We got the HR24 maybe a year ago, when it replaced a long-lived, and patience-testing, HR23.

Additionally, is there a way to switch the HR24 to use Tuner1. We can't watch live TV on it now, because its always looking for Tuner2 for signal. In the old days when you connected two cables to a two-tuner DVR box, there was a way to configure them for single-tuner operation if you only had one cable/tuner available. I couldn't figure out how to do that in the current HR24 interface. If we could switch it to using Tuner1 for live TV, I could live with it, given the recording capacity of the HR54 and Whole-home DVR.

Thanks

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try this:
    Unplug the receiver from the AC power. Let is sit for at least 15 minutes and the plug it back in.
    After it is all started up again, about 12 minutes, check the signals again.

If that does not work and you have 2 open spots on the splitter, then move the 24's cable to one of the open spots and see if that changes it.

If neither of those work you probably should call them for a replacement.

3. rwmair

rwmair Godfather

Nov 16, 2006
    Hi Jimmie, thanks for the suggestions.

I should add I tried a restart of the HR24 this morning while investigating this, but not power-off for 15 mins, so I"ll try that tomorrow.

There's one port free on the 4-way splitter as there's also a Genie Mini (C51 or C61) in one other room - but certainly one other port to try if the power-off path doesn't yield anything.

Will report back tomorrow.

4. rwmair

rwmair Godfather

Nov 16, 2006
    Sadly, neither of those worked, so I guess I have to play CSR roulette and talk to someone. (Can I do this online yet?)

In the meantime, I still couldn't find how to configure the HR24 as a single-tuner DVR. Under Settings/Satellite, there's the option to "repeat satellite setup". Will that do the trick if it sees nothing on Tuner 2? That would at least make it usable again until the new box arrives - which might be a week at this point.

Thanks

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes it's under that repeat Sat setup

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We're going to see more and more threads like this. The 24s are getting old and should be replaced...but the replacements aren't much better. When you get the replacement you might want to consider putting an external drive on it. The HDD in the 24 is probably original and might be 10 years old, that's gonna give you problems.

Rich

7. rwmair

rwmair Godfather

Nov 16, 2006
    I only got my first HR24 6 months ago when my HR23 finally gave up the ghost. It lasted 5-6 years, the HR24 lasted 6 months. (I know - it was probably 9 years old!)

Fortunately, we have a HR54 in the living room which is our prime DVR (and I got the 54 when they were first being released - was pleasantly surprised I didn't get a 44 at the time)

8. rwmair

rwmair Godfather

Nov 16, 2006
    As I said above, none of the suggestions worked. So I called in. Not sure if they've reduced their CSR pool by 90% or everyone is freaking out because of COVID19 and trying to get stuff fixed this week, but I was on hold for over 50 mins before I got someone, then it took another 50 mins. After repeating all the tests on the phone, they then wanted to send a technician, which I strongly resisted. Eventually, after ~20 mins consultation with a supervisor, he was able to just order me a replacement box which might arrive next week. Never been so hard to spend $20.

By contrast, hitting "Repeat Satellite setup" and choosing single-tuner mode took 3 mins followed by a receiver reboot. And it's working again - albeit in single tuner mode - until the new box arrives.

jimmie57 and WestDC like this.