1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR250 use *without* satellite connection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mediawise, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mediawise

mediawise New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    It may sound strange, but as an RVer I am occasionally without clear view of a satellite. In this case I would like to watch previously recorded programs on my Direct HR250 HD receiver. This was easy to do with the earlier TiVo version, but this new receiver seems to always want a satellite input before it will allow anything other than set up.

After many minutes of waiting, I can get a program listing, but the receiver freezes when I press play.

I am currently without the manual (I am on the road), so I cannot look up this info - so any help would be appreciated.

Ken, the RV Navigator

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The HR-20 needs the SAT connection, but if you boot it up with a connection & leave the power on [UPS?] you can lose the SAT connection & it will still work for playing recordings..

3. toy4two

toy4two Legend

Aug 17, 2006
    I regularily use my receivers at tail gates before football games. Last time I brought it I forgot my dish but we figured we would just watch some highlights I recorded.

Big fat no. The thing is useless without a constant sat connection, which is really stupid for RV use. :nono2:

I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to pull in my free over the air stations from Mexico I used to get, now it needs zip codes ?? :nono:

Still needs lots of refinement.

4. rminsk

rminsk Legend

Dec 4, 2006
  5. Richi

Richi Mentor

Sep 13, 2006
    Toy.. on HR10-250 do you have software version 3.2 or 6.3b? I am still on 3.2 and have NO problem picking and recording the HD stations from Mexico.. I HOPE AND PRAY that the powers that be INCLUDE scanning as opposed to zip code selection of the local OTA as now present on the HR20.:( :(

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I am going to close this thread, until the OP contacts me (via PM).
    To let me know if he ment the HR10-250 or the HR20

So it can be put in the appropriate place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.