1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR2x 0x368 problems question - musings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vfr781rider, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vfr781rider

vfr781rider Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Gladeville, TN
    So I have two HR20-700s. One with the factory hard drive and one upgraded to a 1TB Seagate 7200RPM model (PC drive, not DB35). The upgraded one has given me tons of trouble since 0x0368 came out requiring me to reboot every 3 to 6 days because it will not play recorded shows without jerking and freezing and the response to the remote goes to crap. It ran fine for months before 0x0368.

I have seen many similar complaints here, so the problem does seem related to 0x0368. What I'm wondering is two fold. Could the problems I am having be related the the hd swap? I don't really see how from a performance standpoint as the specs on the new drive are superior to the old one. I still wonder though. Could D* have sabotaged this release to cause problems with swapped drives? Hmmm...

Also, does it not seem that most of us that have this problem have HR20s? It seems that most of the complaints have come from this model and not so much or not at all with the newer ones. Not sure.

Anyone out there with a HR22 or HR23 that is having significant similar trouble since 0x0368?

I just today stuck a 500GB Hitachi in my other HR20, so we'll see in a few days if it starts having problems like my other one :) If it does, I'll be sure to let y'all know.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    DirecTV has done nothing to "sabotage" your hard drive. But they did enhance the drive diagnostic software a couple of releases ago, and that has certainly flushed out more marginal drives. At this point the only sure cure is to replace the DVR, or use an eSATA drive. And it is against your lease agreement to replace the internal drive.

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, if Directv has Enhanced the Drive Diagnostic Software to Flush out Marginal Drives when the Drive was working perfectly, then I would just replace the Internal Drive or go with an eSATA Drive to try and determine if Directv did screw up your drive.

I can't believe that Directv would take it upon theirselves to do something like this. And I would not call this an "ENHANCEMENT" if it causes DVRs that are working without problems to now be nonoperational or sluggish at best.

Unbelievable!!!

Why not just wait until the drive fails and then let the Directv customer send it back in for a replacement???

Or let the Directv customer know that they have a problem with their drive and to send the DVR back for a replacement!!!

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    kill the bad ones now, kill them all :)
    get them out of the system early.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Why not then say to the Directv customer "We are running Enhanced Diagnostic Tests on your DVR and if we find it has a Marginal Hard Drive then we are going to cause that hard drive to completely fail or to be so sluggish that you will want to call us to have us Replace Your DVR Free Of Charge of course!!!".

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    cause people would complain and could possibly refuse to accept it. by doing it this way you had no choice or say in it. it just happened.
    old hr20 line just could not take it.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I hope my mechanic doesn't try to dump something in my gas tank to kill my engine because he thinks my engine is running marginally!!! :lol:

8. vfr781rider

vfr781rider Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Gladeville, TN
    Or jump ship. Between the 0x0368 troubles and the VS fight, it is now on my mind. As a 14 year subscriber, I've been very happy until the past month except, of course, for the first 6 or 8 months after the HR20 came out. What a PIA joke it was back in those days :(

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    now that a lot of the dying and user installed drives (that were marginal) are out of the way they should not be burning up many more.

10. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Let's not forget that many of the first HR20's are getting rather old now, too. We will certainly see more and more flakey drives as they age.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Careful, I mentioned that a few weeks ago and got absolutely torn apart by the conspiracy theorists...

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Especially if Directv uses their Enhanced Hard Drive Diagnostic Software Techniques for Killing Hard Drives that are Marginal!!!

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Slightly off topic, but I wonder how many Ultimate TV DVRs are still in use today? :)

14. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not very many.

We're seeing more and more posts about old Tivo-based DVRs with dying hard drives. I wonder if that's a "conspiracy", too :)

15. SlimyPizza

SlimyPizza Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    I don't see why DTV would do anything! to flush out marginal drives. Why do anything at all that would adversely affect the DVRs of its customers?! I'll tell you that beginning 2 NRs ago, many of us started hearing excessive HD churning and that at the same time audio/video dropouts, hiccups, and pixelations began to occur for a number of subscribers during that HD activity. Not only that, but the HD activity itself is loud. This is an enhancement?!? Replace my DVR? That software update caused me to start looking into AT&T U-Verse which is offered in my area. I know any service is going to have problems and may contain "enhancements" that have unwanted side-effects but to update my system with software which causes dropouts, pixelations, and the suggested fix is to replace my DVR at my expense is bringing me closer to a fork in the road for DTV and other providers.

16. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I do. I don't know what, if anything, D* has done in this regard, but it would make sense to make drive malfunctions more obvious, so we know to fix them.

17. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I've seen 3 reports recently of drives getting reformatted when new firmware was downloaded. I thought perhaps it was a sign that there was some experimentation with the disk handling code going on.

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Its almost most likely just dodgy drives that dont make it back from the reboot...Lots of people have drives going on several years old now, some have drives not meant for 24/7 use, like most of the Seagates ready-mades people buy these days...

19. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007

Or, perhaps, there is something new coming down the pipeline that is going to cause the drives to need to do a lot more burst work and they are trying to flush out the ones that are not up to snuff right now. That way there is less of a mad rush when this new thing comes out and people get pissed because there is a long wait for a service call.

To put it in your terms.... Your mechanic knows the fuel your engine uses is going to change and your 'marginal' engine can't handle that added stress and will fail. Since your a favored customer and there will be a mad rush when the change happens, he 'convinces' you to change your engine out early avoiding a large chunk of downtime.

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm ... stock drive works fine .. upgraded drive broken .. There could be a correlation here.

Yes, there have been some enhancements to the drive diagnostic software. These changes simply may not work with the drive you installed. DIRECTV does not support configurations that use something other than the drives that they have chosen. A PC drive may simply be the wrong choice for this DVR application.

Did it work before? Sure, but it was out of spec before. There was never any guarantee that it would work. It also may be that the drive needs a surface scan to find bad spots. You could run the HDD diagnostics overnight so that the bad spots can be identified and marked. There still may be hiccups because when blocks of a program are "fixed" there will be spots in your programming that could be skipped. Fortunately, MPEG-4 is a stream so after the hiccups it will simply resync and start playing again.

The bottom line is that as these issues of marginal drives get flushed out, the overall reliability will be significantly improved over the way it was. Sure, this will affect some systems for some people, but take the customer base as a whole and looking forward, this will be an improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.