1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR2x and H2x: MRV Opt-In Beta Issues/Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Stuart Sweet, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1 of 422
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is a thread for MRV issues only. Other issue posts should be placed in the thread for the appropriate receiver.

When posting MRV issues, please include as much information as possible, such as:

• Model numbers of server and client
    • Network issue reports from both server and client
    • Description of network topology (speed, wired/wireless/powerline)
    • Full description of issue

Please do not post MRV issues in the other issue threads.

The more the better... let's get this thoroughly tested!

2. Jan 20, 2010 #2 of 422
    dtomlinson

dtomlinson Cool Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Well, an inauspicious start to MRV for me. I received the update overnight and was excited to see MRV. I successfully set-up my two HD DVRs for MRV (friendly name, beta opt-in, authorized sharing) and was able to see networked programming. But when I tried to view programs from the remote DVR I got the following error messages:
    1st try: unable to access media.
    2nd try: This content contains copy protection that restricts playback on equipment not connected via HDMI cable (I'm not sure of exact wording.)
    3rd try: unable to access Living Room.

When I tried to go back to live TV, I got the banner, could change channels, etc, but got only a blank screen (except for the banner which changed appropriately with channel change) with the 2nd try message. I also didn't have sound. I had to do a receiver restart to get back to live tv.

I'm connected to the network via wired ethernet (10/100). Anybody have any ideas what I should try next?

Dan

3. Jan 20, 2010 #3 of 422
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    reboot both receivers is about all I can think of since they're seeing programs from each other, but not playing

4. Jan 20, 2010 #4 of 422
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Hadn't heard of that HDMI message before. Does it make any sense in relation to your setup?

And try the RBR of both units as suggested.

5. Jan 20, 2010 #5 of 422
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    :bowdown::bowdown: To those of you who'll be helping those in the MRV issues. It may be a rough time around here. DBSTalkers are good folks.

6. Jan 20, 2010 #6 of 422
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Is there a "Report" option in this NR, to be able to send a issue report to DirecTv?

7. Jan 20, 2010 #7 of 422
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    0395 DVR server <DECA> 4395 H21 client
    Just played a show off my local NBC [HD]
    Using 30 sec skip, these were slightly slower than when doing this on the DVR. Single press and waited for each to complete before pressing again.
    During the first 30 mins of the recording had only 2 minor issues. First was a pausing of video while audio continued, for less than a sec.
    Second was a minor horizontal line.
    Pause playback for about 10 mins and then resumed.
    The second half had 5 minor video breakups, also less than a sec each and one also had audio breakup with it.

8. Jan 20, 2010 #8 of 422
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Nice report. I'm curious, did you go back and replay the section that had the breakups that occurred after the pause to see if the breakups were in the program or not?

9. Jan 20, 2010 #9 of 422
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since I'd already deleted that show [remotely] I played another recording from the same time. This time is was from ABC [720p] and only seemed to have the pauses with loss of audio.
    First 2 came by the 6 min mark without using any trickplay other than to replay and "prove" they weren't in the recording.
    Next one came at the 16 min mark and also replay showed it wasn't the recording but was a MRV issue.
    There were another two that were so short I wasn't sure they were there until the second one happened.
    Then at the 26 & 59 min marks were the last and both didn't repeat with replay.

So this playback was the reverse of my first, where it started out without too many and they increased as the show continues, while this one had more in the beginning and trailed off as the show continued.
    FWIW: H21-200 report 20100120-4547

10. Jan 21, 2010 #10 of 422
    noseeb13

noseeb13 DIRECTV All Access

Sep 12, 2007
    I tired to set up mine last night and the status shows no networked DVRs.

I have 2 HR20-700s both connected via powerline adapters.
    Both pass the network tests
    Both can be seen and stream content using DIRECTV2PC so I am pretty sure they should see each other on the network.
    I reset a few times, opted out then back in and then left both on over night and still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

11. Jan 21, 2010 #11 of 422
    mitchelljd

mitchelljd Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    just opted in on the new download 395 on two of my three DVR's. will do the other one shortly. but... wondering:

1- how long it will take to kick in and MRV show up again?
    2- will those of us who participated in the edge cutter program get a free or discounted MRV function?

12. Jan 21, 2010 #12 of 422
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    After opting-in, have you set each box to share its playlists? If so, the combined playlists should show up within a couple minutes at most.

13. Jan 21, 2010 #13 of 422
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Have the same problem with my PowerLine adapters (Panasonic BL-PA100As) after I received 0x0395, and no matter what I did just couldn't get the boxes to see each other.

Then it suddenly dawned on me that my PowerLine modules operate essentially in a star topology. With one acting as "master" which connects to the router and all the others as "slave" units.

The slave adapters can only communicate back and forth with the master, not directly between two slaves. I could move the master unit to one of the DVRs, but then all other slave units would lose access to the router.

Perhaps this is your problem.

If so then you are going to have take one of your DVRs off the PowerLine network and use it with WiFi from an ethernet bridge or run a direct ethernet connection from the DVR to the router.

Or just wait for DECA, like I might just do.

14. Jan 21, 2010 #14 of 422
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    1) Should be less than a minute or two, if not instantly

2) No

15. Jan 21, 2010 #15 of 422
    dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    If devices connected via powerline adapters are on different circuits, they won't necessarily be able to communicate with each other (even if they both see the main network), and if they do see each other, data transfers between them may be too poor for video streaming.

If you can, try moving your powerline adapters to different outlets. Also, make sure the adapters are not on surge protectors.

16. Jan 21, 2010 #16 of 422
    judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    My issue is with the inconsistency of this feature. I have a mixture of hardwire and wireless connections and whenever I hit LIST on anyone of my HR20-700's I don't know what to expect. Only once have I seen a combined list of all HR20's on one. Occasionally I will get some on one, but most get none. My PS3 has seen all of the DVR's for months and has been able to display shows and episodes available on them. Obviously, it cannot play anything, but it reliably shows programming off of all of my HR20's.

Another thing happened. When I was able to watch a program, I received a message that the DVR that the program was on had dropped off the network. It also said that I could no longer watch the program. Funny thing was that as long as that message was on my screen, I COULD watch the program. When I hit OK, the program stopped playing and I was sent back to the list of programs on the local DVR.

I am running 1Gb network with a D-Link router and hubs (DIR-655 router, DAP-1522 wireless access point, and DGS-2205 hubs). Obviously, the HR20's are limited to 100Mb.

17. Jan 21, 2010 #17 of 422
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    This is from another thread.:

18. Jan 21, 2010 #18 of 422
    cdharris

cdharris Mentor

Jan 21, 2004
    I read the announcements here and on AVS Forum and read the MRV First Look pdf and ran home at lunch to set up MRV. However, none of my 3 HR22s or H21 (all connected to my LAN via ethernet cable) have a "Multi-Room" selection under System Setup. Do I still need to "opt in" before I can set up MRV? If so, how do I do that? Do I have to wait for a software upgrade or can I speed up that process? I paid several hundred $$$ to a professional installer for new equipment and to connect everything to my LAN several months ago in anticipation of MRV and am getting tired of waiting. Thanks.

19. Jan 21, 2010 #19 of 422
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You have to wait for the latest software update 395.

20. Jan 21, 2010 #20 of 422
    dschamis

dschamis Cool Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Is there any way to make sure you get this ASAP?