HR34-700: No IFC, no H2HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BearsFan, Jan 17, 2015.

1. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Hi all,

Strangest thing…for the last week or so, I can not get IFCHD (564) or H2HD (271) at all.

What I *can* get is the SD channels of each just fine. I have painstakingly done the "Channel Up One at a Time" thing like 3-4 times now, to see if there are any other channels that might be giving me the same message:

771-Signal loss on Satellite in 1. Press SELECT for solutions.

I've done all the things--unscrewed cables, rebooted, hard rebooted, power-cycled the receiver--like I said, all the things. Went outside, saw absolutely nothing blocking the satellite dish whatsoever.

I'm on the "Xtra Choice Classic" package, all my locals are fine (Chicago area). We had that FreeView weekend a few weeks ago, all those channels worked fine as well.

Made the call to DirecTV tonight. They had me do all the same things I've already done, but I obliged them anyway & did all of the above over again. The tech I spoke to also had me check the 9501-area channels. All came back fine. The tech did have me run the satellite setup test, and I got one red "x," trying to remember where--she had me speed through the results--believe it was under 103 (was top row, last box with the red "x").

Same thing. No 564, no 271 (in HD).

Anyone else ever run into this issue? I can't imagine what this might be; it was quite cold here for a few weeks, but the last 2 days we've seen a thaw…and this problem has gone on both during the big chill as well as the thaw (of sorts…temps around 43º today).

Can you think of anything else I could try? Seems quite odd that all the other channels I've tried seem to work just fine, as do the SD channels for 564 and 271…but the HD channels for each of those two just won't come in & give me the same 771 message. What do you think?

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
    [Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
    1-8 x x x x x x x x
    9-16 x x x x x x x x
    17-24 x x x x x x x x
    25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
    [Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA x
    9-16 NA x NA x NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
    [Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA x x x
    25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 x x x x x x NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA x x
    17-24 x x x x x x x x
    [Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 x x x x x x x x
    9-16 x x x x x x NA NA
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 x x x x x x NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA x x
    17-24 x x x x x x x x
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
    [National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    9-16 x x x x x x x x
    17-24 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]
    [National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]
    1-8 x x x x x x x x
    9-16 x x x x x x NA NA
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

3. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    The ones you mentioned both reside on 103°cb (D10 sat), TPN 1. I bet you also can't receive HLN HD (204), Cooking Channel HD (232) or Reelz HD (238) either?

Does this occur on your other receivers as well? (I am assuming that you have more then one btw)

4. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Thank you for your responses!

@litzdog911, here are the readings I took just now: https://copy.com/lQoE3sMdAGGjw1OB

What's interesting(?) is that I have a season pass set up to record Portlandia on IFC; the channel played an episode overnight here, and it's a severely garbled/unwatchable recording. There is video/sound mostly throughout the recording, but it's really janky with lots of stuttering & complete dropouts. I was not given the usual warning about a "partial recording" or anything like that from the receiver.

@coolman302003: you're correct, I cannot receive those channels you mention either.

I have but one D* receiver/DVR. We're in a small townhome. I've had D* in HD since 2010. This is the first time with this issue.

What I *don't* have is the $7.99 per month "protection plan" or whatever it's called from D*. The CSR on the phone last night said that I should keep checking for 8 days (as of Saturday, yesterday). If the channels don't return, then I may need to make a call and have someone sent out.

What I can't afford is the $49.99 service call. I guess I'll just go without those channels for 8 days (which is not a big deal at all); then add the protection plan; then a day or two later, make a call; then cancel when all is well.

The dish is bolted to the roof of our townhome (which we own). I don't currently have a ladder tall enough to head up there to look, and the tools I used to have when I'd set up my own D* when my career had me moving often--I don't have them any more, I gave them to a family member out of state.

So judging by those readings I took, I gather that this is a job best left up to a D* repairman?

5. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yeah, your signals from the 103º(cb) satellite are messed up on the odd-numbered transponders. This could be as simple as a loose/corroded coax cable connection at your dish, ground block or multiswitch. Or it could be a defective dish LNB. Based on your other readings, it's not a dish alignment problem.

What model Receiver/DVR is this?
    Press the remote's "Dash (-)" button .... Does the Receiver echo "SWM Connected ..."?

6. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I've got an HR34/700. Yep, connected: https://copy.com/bOepskcHomZDRMqD

This could possibly be good news then. I'll check the connections outside--that's easy enough to do. I suppose I may need to just tighten some connections or unscrew/rescrew them back in…unless there's something else I should check out.

Thank you again for your time on this! I like learning how to troubleshoot stuff like this.

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Do you have a SWM LNB (single cable from the dish) or legacy LNB with a SWM16? If the former, cabling/connectors can't be the cause and your LNB is bad. If you have a SWM16, assuming you have an older HD DVR/receiver that can work in legacy mode (H20-H24 or HR20-HR24) you can do some simple troubleshooting to determine the cause.

First, bypass the SWM16 and connect the receiver directly to the LNB using a coax coupler, or use the red port of your green label splitter as a makeshift "coupler". You'll need to go into satellite setup and set the receiver for multiswitch/SL3. Once you do that, check your signals on 103cb. Then connect a different cable from the LNB and check your signals again.

If 103cb odds were low on both tests, your LNB is bad. If 103cb odds were fine on both, your SWM16 is bad. If 103cb odds were low on only one test, then the cable that tested low is bad (check/replace connectors and retest)

8. coolman302003

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    The TS has only a HR34-700 which means they have to have SWM, and with the Genie receiver being SWM only compatible, they couldn't perform your troubleshooting suggested above with a legacy mutiswitch setup... Regardless, with only one receiver it's very likely a SWM LNB anyway.

9. coolman302003

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    if you have been a customer for a while and haven't had a Service Call recently (and you aren't a frequent caller requesting a lot of credits for equipment and programming); I would call back and ask to be transferred to customer retention group (CRG) and politely explain that you need a technician out for a Service Call and see if they will waive the $49.99 charge as a courtesy. You can mention you have already troubleshooted with tech support previously (and you will probably only have to briefly explain the issue) and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't set one up for you and waive the charge. All they can say is no or they may require you to accept enrollment in the protection plan for them to waive the charge. I think it's certainly worth a shot for you.

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If he has just the one Genie, and therefore a SWM LNB, then it is 100% certain it is a bad LNB. Can't be the cable or the receiver.

11. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Rats--I ran out of time yesterday to head outside to test some cables. I hope to get that done this week at some point…unless, as @slice1900 points out, it's definitely an LNB issue.

In which case, it sounds like I have to wait 8 days from this past Saturday (the day I called D* about this issue), as that's what the CSR told me to do--if the channel doesn't come back in 8 days, sign up for the protection plan & have someone out to take a look…or do what @coolman302003 suggests and beg for mercy from D* CRG for a freebie replacement…

12. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    There's no need to wait 8 days, that's just BS..

13. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    What you need is a Service call! Call Back and demand one -it's that easy - Not free but based on your past contact with D* about your problem you have get that waived.

14. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Don't wait 8 days.

15. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Pro Tip, don't cancel the protection plan right after the service call. I think if you take off the PP within 30 days of the call it charges you for the service call. After that it will be $10 if you cancel in the first year. I'd suggest asking for retention or a sup to see if you can get the fee waived or reduced.

16. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Ok--thank you all.

I'm seriously considering calling up D* and nicely demanding a free visit. I *do* call D* every 8-10 months for discounts, but I haven't in about 6 months.

I suppose I could ask to speak directly to the CRG & see if they'll send me directly there…I've had issues getting handed off to them in the past. But I suppose it won't hurt to ask be transferred straight there.

I was about to call to ask for another discount or use a flyer Comcast sent me in the mail as ammo, but I'd rather get the channels I'm paying for first.

17. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Let us know how it goes.

18. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Ok--it looks like those channels are back up for me.

For now.

My latest call to D*: without coming out and saying it, after explaining the issue (the person I spoke to seemingly didn't know about my call last weekend), this time the CSR I spoke to (I didn't have a chance to ask for CRG, which was on my lips waiting to be spoken the entire time) "said"…but "didn't say"… that my issues should be fixed now, their system was showing that all was well.

So--best I can gather from this is that the 1st tech support person I spoke to, who said "all the channels you're missing are working fine for me, but I am seeing an issue with IFC"--it seems like maybe there WAS an issue on their end…but they didn't want to admit it? I dunno…I haven't seen any other posts anywhere from people in my area saying they're having the same issue(s).

In any event, I did not close the case (at least in my mind). I'm still checking those channels every time I sit down for the evening to watch television. I won't hesitate to call D* again and try to head off the CSR at the pass & ask for CRG immediately instead of acting a little timid like I did this last time. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Thanks again everyone for your help and advice on this. I really appreciate it. I'm not completely convinced my equipment is working the way it's supposed to (even though it appears as if it is right now), but if I lose those channels or others again I won't hesitate to call immediately & go straight to the customer retention folks first.