1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 Freezing Issue - Second Box/Third box

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RMSko, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 #1 of 88
    RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I'm having significant freezing issues with my HR34. This is my second HR34 and my first one was replaced due to the same freezing issues. It freezes about once/week and if others aren't experiencing this problem, I'm assuming it must be something in my setup? I have it connected to a Denon Receiver (AVR-2309CI) via HDMI and that connects to a Samsung DLP TV, also via HDMI. I'm running software version 0x54a. Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

2. May 2, 2012 #2 of 88
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Don't have an HR34 yet, one's arriving Friday. But anyhow, first do you have the latest firmware release for it yet "0x54A?"

3. May 2, 2012 #3 of 88
    RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    0x54a is the latest software for the HR34 - it was downloaded to the box last night. Maybe that will help the freezing issue - I guess I'll see in about a week or so.

4. May 2, 2012 #4 of 88
    bman3333

bman3333 Mentor

Jun 9, 2010
    Once per week only? Do you have anything on top of the HR34, causing heat to build up?

5. May 2, 2012 #5 of 88
    RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nope, it's by itself on an open air shelf. I know you were kidding about the only once per week, but have you heard about a lot of freezing issues with the HR34? If yes, that would actually make me feel better since then it wouldn't like be something on my end and hopefully would be something that D* would eventually fix.

6. May 2, 2012 #6 of 88
    bman3333

bman3333 Mentor

Jun 9, 2010
    No, I was serious about once per week being odd. Not that the HR34 is buggy, because I've had mine for 1 week and not had one issue. If your freezing was more frequent, it would hint at a hardware problem. When you say it freezes, do you mean the picture is frozen, or the remote becomes unresponsive? Does it drop to a blue screen, lose the picture entirely? Based on the fact that it happened with two different HR34s, I would check hdmi and the coax connection.

7. May 2, 2012 #7 of 88
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Try bypassing the Denon. Maybe the HDMI connection through it is the problem, not the HR34. Give it a try.

8. May 3, 2012 #8 of 88
    freshmanjs

freshmanjs New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    mine was freezing about once per week for the first couple of months we had it (feb-march). one of the recent software updates seems to have fixed that problem. we haven't had a freeze for a few weeks now.

9. May 4, 2012 #9 of 88
    Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    Our HR34 is also freexing about ounce a week. The audio and picture freezes but then starts back up about 1 to 2 mins later in the program. The new version of software has not had any effect on the freezing.

10. RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    When mine freezes it becomes totally unresponsive and the only thing that can fix it is a red button reset. Also, the once/week isn't an automatic. It may go 10 days without a problem and then sometimes it freezes after 3 days. I'm hoping the new s/w fixes it, but I'm not optimistic. I was thinking about bypassing my Denon A/V receiver, but I hate the idea of having audio and video running separately as it will probably lead to sound sync issues, however, if the new s/w doesn't fix the freeze, I'm probably going to go with that.

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I have a separate line to my audio receiver and no sync issues.

12. RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I now bypassed my Denon receiver and had my HR34 hooked directly to my Samsung receiver via HDMI and unfortunately just experienced the same freezing issue. I guess I can try component, but it seems ridiculous that I can no longer use HDMI. Anyone else have any thoughts as to what can be causing the issue?

13. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    probably one of the many software bugs still affecting the HR34....

14. RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I just got my third new box and within 3 days it had the same freezing issue where the HR34 becomes totally unresponsive and the only way to get it going is to do a red button reset. I have now disconnected HDMI and am instead running component straight to the TV. DTV seems to think it's an HDMI issue, even though it freezes even when the receiver is turned off. I'll see whether switching to component does the trick, but it would be a real disappointment to not be able to use HDMI with the HR34.

15. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I'm going on a week and so far no HR 34 issues. Works beautiful! Even recording 4 things at once.

So far I have only 3 issues the D12 froze once, the hr34 had an Ondemand glitch, (stuttering picture and audio) but hasn't since done that.
    Last my hr 23 is got slow remote responses. Still to this day.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Probably the Sammy TV. Just a guess based on my own experiences with Sony CRTs and HDMI connections. And it looks like D* is doing the same thing with you as they did with me. Can't solve the problem? Send out a new box. I went thru that for months until a brilliant CSR from an Oregon Protection Plan call center solved the problem for me with a simple sentence: "Switch to component wires."

Put the component wires on, try it for a while and don't worry about sound sync problems, you won't get them.

My problems occurred when the HRs were first introduced. Sony and Samsung both had problems with using HDMI connections then and probably still do. I don't think this is Sony or Sammy's fault, every other device I used on my Sony CRTs that had HDMI worked, so it must be something with the D* and Sony/Sammy HDMI functionality.

I solved my problems by dumping the Sonys and buying Panny plasmas.

I'm not saying that every Sony or Sammy has this problem, nobody has to post how well their Sammys or Sonys work with HDMI, but feel free to if you just have to.

Rich

17. RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Good info Rich, thanks. So far so good with the component switch. It's only been about a week though so I need to see if holds up for another week or so. I do seem to have some sound sync issues on some channels though (SNY, AMC), but I think I would probably have the same sync issues even if I used HDMI.

My Samsung is a DLP about 3-4 years old so I'll probably replace it in the next few months. If anyone has suggestions, particularly with success with the HR34, that would be great.

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    My LG never had or has any HDMI issues. My philips that I had was buggy and so was my Magnavox.

That was only with the Directv receivers.

My HR34 has been flawless in the 8 days I've only had it.:lol:

19. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    My 34 has worked great, for the past 3 months, with my LG.

20. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    I have had two HR34s since the first of the year. Both are direct HDMI connections to their respective TVs and no freezing or lockps here.