1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 Freezing Issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RMSko, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 3, 2012 #1 of 16
    RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    My HR34 was installed about 3 weeks ago and since then it has frozen twice. The first time it was off and would not turn on without a red button reset. D* told me that's a known issue as it goes into standby and doesn't come out so it's best to leave it on all the time. I did that, but then it froze again and would only respond to a red button reset. D* maintains that this is happening b/c of an HDMI connection, but I find that response very suspect. I know the 34 is a bit buggy, but I'm wondering if mine is too buggy. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Mar 3, 2012 #2 of 16
    Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    I have only had one freeze with the HR34. I never turn it off unless we are travelling down the road.

Lots of other random glitches unique to the 34 as well as common problems that seem to be "acceptable" to folks here who just don't have a clue as to how unreliable and buggy the HR series are. When you read through these threads you will find every single HR model with problems, systemic and random.

3. Mar 3, 2012 #3 of 16
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But you won't find many problems with the HRs now. If that HD GUI wouldn't have downloaded, I'd be absolutely trouble free on all my HRs. The HD GUI has only affected one 24-500 adversely, and that's just a minor annoyance. Do I find that "acceptable"? No, but I know that problem will be fixed. I don't find the HRs buggy and unreliable at all. And I do have a "clue".

Rich

4. Mar 3, 2012 #4 of 16
    Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    So Rich, all your experience with the HR says the Smart Search works every time? The DVR always records just first run only if you request just that? The DVR always records every show requested as long as there is no conflict? You never have to request a reset or do an RBR or an unplug? Never any audio or video glitch? No funny action when in double play and switch SD channels? 30 second slip is never so slow that you have to go to 30 second skip to make it useful?

Of course we already know the old GUI was much better than the new.

5. Mar 3, 2012 #5 of 16
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    With the exception of the audio/video brrips, which has nothing to do with a UI, I have had none of these issues you describe with the old UI or new.

I wouldn't go back to the old UI for any reason. If I had to take a guess I would state that most of your issues are due to your situation. I will say that I use my apps more than the receiver to schedule recordings due to the fact that when I'm at home and watching TV it's just to catch up on shows. Most of the time I add new ones is because someone tells me about a show.

6. Mar 3, 2012 #6 of 16
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No, not every time, but good enough. I usually know what I want to watch and rarely use it.

Yes. Every time. Without fail. Program the HRs correctly and you'll see the same thing.

Absolutely. I haven't missed a recording in years.

I reset frequently, but just to refresh my 12 HR MRV setup. I wouldn't touch that Red Button too much, you'll have problems.

Small ones occasionally, nothing but a minor annoyance.

I never supported the idea of DLBs, all I could see was trouble coming if D* tried that and we got that in spades. I never use it. SD? For what? I only watch HD content.

Slip? Don't see any reason to use that, wouldn't know if there is problem with that. I only use the Skip. No problems with the Skip. No Progress Bar either.

I'm sure that will be taken care of over the next few months. Everything D* implements seems to cause problems or not work correctly, but that seems to be part of the process for D*.

I don't have a 34 for several reasons. Don't need anymore tuners, don't need any more storage (I've already got 20TBs of storage capacity). Even if I did want one, I would have waited at least a year before obtaining one. History keeps repeating itself and nobody learns.

When you learn how to program your HRs correctly your problems should be over.

Rich

7. Mar 3, 2012 #7 of 16
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What is his "situation"? Is something causing all those problems? Or is it "operator failure"?

Rich

8. Mar 3, 2012 #8 of 16
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    He's in an RV so if he's travelling a lot he would be taking down his dish and putting it back up. This could lead to setup problems and lack of guide data. It could also mix in the second reason you posted as well. Then add in the fact that he just likes to complain about anything DIRECTV related and you have his "situation".

9. Mar 3, 2012 #9 of 16
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    He has also mentioned in another thread that not only is he in a RV but they experience frequent power outages so the receivers are rebooting often even when they are parked.

From the other thread:

10. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just got my 34 and I was aware of thr problems. I don't think I'd have one yet for the main receiver on a TV, but I added this one to a TV that also has a 24. I trust the software will get fixed but I can understand why someone who just got Directv and had no idea about the problems would be unsatisfied.

11. fdglsg

fdglsg Cool Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Turn reciver off from the outlet for three minutes and see if that dont help u...

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh, best to stay out of this. Thanx.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're more adventurous than I am. I wouldn't buy a car model in its first year, either.

Rich

14. RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Okay, I'm hoping to bring this thread back to my original post. I just downloaded the new beta software and am hoping that will fix my freezing issue. But, does anyone have any thoughts on whether my HR34 is likely damaged. Two complete freezes in 10 days seems like a lot to me. Also, anyone have any thoughts on D*'s claim that the freezing is due to the HDMI connection? I call BS on that one. Yes, there can be handshake issues (which I generally just fix by hitting the "video button" and I also eliminated most of the handshake issues by taking it off of native), but a complete freeze just b/c it's connected via HDMI seems wrong.

15. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    I have had the freeze issue. I also have a situation where the HR34 will freeze when trying to delete an MRV recording. It will freeze and cause the box I'm watching the recording on to freeze. My take is the 34 is buggy much like the 20 and 24 before it.

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    HDMI handshake issues can cause all sorts of problems.

As long as you downloaded beta FW, I am going to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.