1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 has me considering switching back to DirecTV...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kpfleming, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kpfleming

kpfleming Cool Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Short story: I was a happy DirecTV customer for years in the DirecTivo and HR10-250 days... when the Tivo relationship went south and DirecTV's new DVRs sucked I switched over to cable and a pair of Tivo Series3 HD units. Now I've got multiple things making me itchy to switch:

* A tuner in one of the S3s is going bad and will cost $$$ to repair/replace.
    * Our rural cable company is incredibly slow at adding HD channels.
    * Adding access to our DVR content from a 3rd room would require getting another Tivo of some type, but I don't really want more tuners and another hard drive in there.
    * Bill for HD service from cable company + Tivo service charges is more than what I'd pay DirecTV now that they have free HDTV and $3 Whole House DVR.

So, it looks like an HR34 plus a pair of H24s (or H25s) would do pretty much everything we need; yeah, we'd be giving up some Tivo features, but nothing we can't live without. In the process we'd have a simpler and easier to use system (better on the Wife Acceptance Factor front) and we'd have access to our content (and even live TV) in our den/exercise room.

The current deal on DirecTV's website would put all of this hardware in my hands for $100 or so, and the included three months of HBO/SHO would pay for that. I'll do my own installation (even though 'professional' installation is free) because I've already got a dish on the roof and all the wiring in place.

That leaves me with really only one area of concern: my current dish is an AT9-sidecar, which gave me access to the HD content (including locals) that DirecTV had 4+ years ago. I'd like to keep this dish in place because replacing it will be a bit of pain in the butt; I've already got all four coax connections from its internal multiswitch wired down to my structured wiring cabinet. I *believe*, based on what I've read here and elsewhere, that I can put an SWM8 in front of that dish to feed the new boxes and all will be well... but only if I won't be missing content. Is there any need for me to verify that this dish will get me all the channels I want (Choice package, locals, HBO, SHO), or is that a given based on the satellites it can see already?

If this is a workable plan, is there any benefit to ordering this gear from a reseller like SolidSignal instead of directly from DirecTV? I'll just tell them I don't want a dish at all in the kit, and I'll pay for an SWM8.

Any comments, thoughts or advice much appreciated... the DirecTV website deal claims to expire at the end of this week, so I'll have to pull the trigger on this shortly.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The AT9 will provide you all of the current DIRECTV satellite signals you need. Using an SWM8 will provide the SWM functionality you need.

However, I don't think you can skip the "professional installation". But you can make the installers life really easy by having all the work done when he shows up.

For information, I believe it is now policy to replace AT9's with Slimline dishes when one is encountered on an install or service call. Again, if all the wiring is run and everything is working, you *might* convince the installer to leave it there. But that might also be a QC fail for him if there is a follow up inspection (which means he won't get paid for the job).

If you are not currently a DIRECTV customer, I don't believe it is possible to self-install and activate your equipment.

3. kpfleming

kpfleming Cool Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Well, that's a bummer, but I can work with it. The current dish is reachable and it should be fairly easy for someone to pull it off and put a new one on the existing mounting arm, assuming they haven't changed the diameter of the mounting arms in the last five years :)

So that means I'll just plan on making things terribly easy for the installer then; I can certainly do that, and letting them install a Slimline dish will even save me some money, as I won't have to buy an SWM8 (since my equipment requirements don't really demand it).

Thanks for the speedy response!

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The tech won't install a SWM 8 he will also be forced to change the AT9 to an AU9 they cannot be used and must be replaced when encountered. So he will install a new Dish with a SWM LNB.

5. kpfleming

kpfleming Cool Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Well, that will work. I've ordered all the stuff directly from DirecTV and scheduled the installation for next Monday. It should go smoothly. Thanks everyone!

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, and yes the AT9 and AU9 use the same 2" OD mast size, so only the dish has to be replaced, not the mount or mast.

7. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Can the HR34 be used as a standalone receiver, not networked/WholeHome. Any issues if I don't network/WholeHome?

8. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    It makes a great standalone 5-tuner 1TB PIP standalone DVR.

9. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ

10. boxster99t

boxster99t AllStar

Mar 9, 2008

11. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't see why you would need a new dish. A SWM-8 or 16 can't be used in conjunction with a SWM-LNB anyway.

13. boxster99t

boxster99t AllStar

Mar 9, 2008

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, if an installer does it, and 8 tuners or less are needed, you'll generally get a SWM-LNB.

15. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Actually, I intend to do the install myself. Done my homework and don't anticipate any problems. There already are two lines run to all 5 receivers and disconnect from Sat.#2 and cap with terminators.

16. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007

17. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Update: see my post#15- swapping out WB68s for SWM 8 w/power supply. AU9 dish already in place. Ordering gear from SolidSignal as soon as HR34 is available.

18. kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    If you are really wanting to do your own install, then call a Retailer.. They will offer you the EXACT same price as D* Corp, same EVERYTHING, and you WILL get HR34 and for sure H25's.. I dont see a retailer saying "No you cant install your own system" it will be very easy money for them..

19. boxster99t

boxster99t AllStar

Mar 9, 2008
    Unless you have a strong desire to use SolidSignal and wait, you can get an HR34 from USADigitalHD.com now. That's where I got mine--ordered on 12/23, shipped that day and arrived 12/27. :)

They were excellent to deal with, and evidently have inventory that SolidSignal doesn't.