1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 Installation Summary - hopefully it helps anyone with installation questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RMSko, Feb 18, 2012.

1. RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I had my HR34 installed yesterday and I thought it would be helpful to get detail about the setup so others could see exactly what was done. Here's a summary (NOTE: I am not using an RVU setup):

1. They first installed a new dish. My old dish was working fine and had signal strength mostly in the 80s and 90s (although a few in the 70s), but the installer said they want nothing below 90 and the new dish would provide better signal strength. He was right - my signal strength on all sats is now in the 90s and most in the upper 90s.

2. A SWM16 was installed and then that fed into splitters. I previously had two lines into each receiver, but now I only need one (discussed more below).

3. I have a connection from the SWM16 to a power inserter and the power inserter is then connected to the HR34. That is the only connection from the "system" to the HR34, i.e., the Ethernet port on the HR34 is not being used at all.

4. The SWM16 also connects to a DECA Broadband Adapter and that adapter is connected via Ethernet directly to my router.

5. Each of my other 4 HR2x's has its own DECA adapter. There is one coax fed into the adapter and then there is (i) a coax from the adapter to Sat 1 on my HR2x and (ii) an Ethernet connection from the adapter to the Ethernet input on my HR2x. As said above, Sat 2 is no longer used on any receiver.

6. I had to go through a new satellite setup on each receiver and once that was done I had whole-home and an internet connection on each receiver. For some reason it did take about an hour for me to have access to on demand programs though.

That's it and all seems to be working well. There are probably other ways to set up the system, but this is what the D* installer did for me.

2. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    And he did it absolutely correctly.:)

3. huskerhead

huskerhead AllStar

Oct 27, 2002
    Wait so you have a Deca adapter on each 24? I have the 34 (with a deca attached - it's a white box, right?) and three hr-24's (none have a deca). The power adapter is connected to the 24 in the basement; the 34 is in upstairs family room where the cck is. Everything seems to be working fine except when my wife was watching a recorded show on the master bed 24 dvr I couldn't access anything recorded on that one from the 34. I assume that is out it's supposed to be.

4. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    He doesn't say he has HR24's. He says he has HR2x's. So, he must not have any HR24 if his boxes required DECA.

5. RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Correct, I have an HR21, an HR22 and two HR23s - no HR24s.

6. ncsercs

ncsercs AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    Much appreciated, but a few pics would really help so people can associate the terms with the installed hardware.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Go to solid signal and look up the equipment.

8. RMSko

RMSko Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I just realized that the coax that was running from the inserter "signal to IRD" that I thought was connected to my HR34 was actually connected to nothing on the other end. Is that supposed to be connected to something?

9. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    It can either be on port 1 of the swm16 in line with a receiver or to the center port with nothing connected to the receiver port. I think you are good!