1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 issue? (DLNA)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ts_mpls, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ts_mpls

ts_mpls New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm new to DirecTV). From looking around on the net, it looks like there should be a "Music, Photos & More" option in the menu to let me view stuff off my network (video, etc). But I don't have that option on my brand new HR34 nor do I see any other way to do it.

Am I missing something or does the HR34 not have this feature yet?

Thanks,
    tim

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The HR34 will show that menu *if* it sees a computer on your network running a server program, like Tversity or PlayOn, etc. It *may* show music, photos shared with Microsoft Media player/center, although I havent tested that yet.

As for Tversity, which most use, there are reports that the newer releases do not work, so if you want to try it, search around and find which version most people are using that still works.

3. ts_mpls

ts_mpls New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks for the response. I do have TVersity installed but I just grabbed the most recent version (1.9.7). Based on some other posts, I went back to version 1.7.4.1 but I still don't see that option. I repeated the network setup on the HR34 and it said it successfully connected to the internet and my home network. And I verified that I can ping the HR34 from my computer but I still don't see that option. How do you troubleshoot this stuff?

4. ts_mpls

ts_mpls New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Quick update, I think I ruled out a connectivity problem. Since the PC is a Windows 7 box, I turned on media sharing and that menu option instantly appeared. I couldn't actually stream anything (I'm assuming since it's not MPEG2 and Win7 doesn't transcode...?) but I could see everything.

So why isn't TVersity working? Maybe I should try PlayOn?

5. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    playon

6. ts_mpls

ts_mpls New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    No dice with PlayOn either. Any suggestions?

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    While it may work with Playon, it doesn't work well imo.

On my system, when I try to play a 1 hour or more video via Playon and Photos and More, it starts and plays for about 20 minutes then quits with a broken stream error message.

Same network, same playon server, same video streamed to the PS3 works flawlessly.

IMO, photos and more for video just isn't quite there yet.

8. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    MediaShare on the HD DVRs has been borken since Day 1. It's been years and it never really got any better. However, there are strong indications that better things are afoot with regard to DLNA on the H2x boxes - the HR34 is lagging behind since it's a new hardware platform still using the old UI.

That being said, my $99 Apple TV and iTunes or an iOS device do photos, music and video streaming way better than any other box in the house.

9. ts_mpls

ts_mpls New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    But as I said, my problem is even getting the HR34 to SEE my PC when TVersity or PlayOn are running. But when I turn on media streaming on Win7, it shows up right away. No one's seen this?

10. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Perhaps you missed it when I mentioned that MediaShare on the DVRs is borked . . . :p

Yeah, stuff like that has been noticed for YEARS. It's never gotten better.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Actually I see it after every reboot. Sometimes Tversity shows up, sometimes not. PlayOn usually shows up, but takes letting the box sit overnight before it appears. I havent found anything to "instantly jog" the box into seeing all the shares.

As mentioned above, Music Photos and more is buggy and has never worked right since it was first put on the HR2x platform. We will either have to wait for them to get around to fixing it, or find other solutions (I use a PS3 myself). Its just not worth the headaches, because once you do get it to show up, it wont play half your stuff anyway, or will lock up the box.

12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It could be your firewall settings on the PC. I was using MediaShare fairly successfully with TVersity for movies and Internet Radio but the lack of any trickplay kept it limited.

Like LL above with one touch of the remote to change inputs, I can play anything on any computer or iDevice on Apple TV. It's the most integrated and flexible system I think you'll find for Music, Photos, Videos and more! Complete with TRICKPLAY!

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    the one thing missing from the AppleTV is a DLNA client. I use Playon/Playlater (think streamer DVR) and it has 'channels' that the ATV doesn't. But as I said, the Netflix menuing and control on the ATV is hands down the very best that is out there for these small devices.

I read recently that Apple still considers the AppleTV a hobby, but they outsold all the other similar boxes by a mile. Kind of tells you how good they made that tiny box.

14. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And it travels well! Unnoticable in the laptop case so there's always something to watch or workout videos when away on a trip.

The iPhone or iPad and a browser gets the Playon or TVersity content to the ATV.

15. RayinMaui

RayinMaui New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    When you use Win7 you have to OK the HR to access your folders.

I use Win7 and Mediashare all the time and it works fine, but I onlr have HR2*s.

Ray

16. ts_mpls

ts_mpls New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    How do you handle transcoding? Or are all your videos already in MPEG2 (or whatever DirecTV requires)?

BTW, my problem with not seeing PlayOn ending up being related to a VPN connection I had. I re-prioritized my network connections and now it works. Although I will say that not being able to trickplay is awfully close to a deal breaker!

@RayinMaui, with Win7 are you able to trickplay?

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea, I can get PlayOn to work, the problem is, it freezes up or just stops working after 10 to 20 minutes, and with no trick play, you either start from the beginning of what you were watching, or just finish it on another box. Just doesnt work well enough to actually use.