1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 New Installation Advice Needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chewbach, Oct 8, 2012.

1. chewbach

chewbach New Member

Sep 27, 2012
    We are a new Directv subscriber with new installation (HR34 + two additional receivers) scheduled for tomorrow (10/09).

Is there any advantage of watching programming directly from the HR34 vs. a connected receiver?

Normally, we would have connected the HR34 to our primary TV set. However,
    the "ideal" location for the satellite dish already has a cable run to a TV that isn't our primary set. Thus, it would be very easy to install the HR34 in that location, and just use a receiver for our primary TV.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I'd say" the HR34 on the main TV is the way to go. Picture in Picture will only be from the 34.

Cabling shouldn't make any difference, since all receivers need one coax.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Pausing or rewinding live TV requires that the program be recording if you're using a conventional receiver. If you're using a RVU client, this restriction doesn't exist.

You'll be much happier with the experience if you have the HR34 located where you most often watch TV (especially TV with commercials).

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Also the HR34 has picture-in-picture.

5. chewbach

chewbach New Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I am so glad I asked! Thanks for the feedback!!

6. chewbach

chewbach New Member

Sep 27, 2012
    How would I go about getting a "RVU Client" vs. standard HD receiver when they do my installation? (Based on a little searching, it looks like the C31 RVU just came out, but don't know what it would take to get them.)

7. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Cincinnati is on the initial release list. You would have to call Directv and ask. Modifying your work order would most likely cause a reschedule.