1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 on the way for existing customer and got a great deal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by aleicgrant, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 #1 of 25
    aleicgrant

aleicgrant Legend

Sep 25, 2007
    I have a new HR34 being installed Saturday along side my three other HR24's (all with 2tb drives) and my HD receiver.

What should I be looking out for at install. I already have a CCK so I am good to go there.

Has anyone upgraded the hard drive in the HR34? easy, hard?

lastly, I really pushed dtv for discounts as I mentioned about the new deals from Dish and not only did I get my bill reduced by $22 and not lose any programming from ultimate but I managed to get the HR34 for FREE.

Cant wait.

2. May 1, 2012 #2 of 25
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well that certainly beats me out, :( best I could get for an HR34 through retention was a $300.00 discount and free install. Thus $99.00 + S&H + tax= $126.66 total. My install is set for Friday.

Based on your current receiver description the major changes at least will be the SWiM LNB on the dish will need to be swapped out for a conventional four output one and a SWiM-16 multiswitch installed somewhere with four cable runs to it from the dish.

Unless you actually own the receiver, you're are not allowed to upgrade the HDD or open the box in anyway as that violates the lease agreement.

3. May 1, 2012 #3 of 25
    BBM3

BBM3 Mentor

Oct 26, 2007
    Exact same price for me.

Had an HR34 installed yesterday.

I wish D* would adopt a common pricing policy and drop the roulette wheel model.

4. May 1, 2012 #4 of 25
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Though minor, I do wonder if I should call DIRECTV back about the S&H fee on a box the installer is bringing out ... :confused:

In all my years, I've never paid for that as it was always been included in the installation fee when the tech. brings it out on the truck. In fact the CSR's computer automatically waived the S&H fee on the receiver since the tech. is bringing it out, so to improvise he actually charged the $49.95 install fee and then discounted it by $30.00 to arrive at a comparable amount.

When dropped shipped through Fed Ex or UPS I understand sure, but not with the installer bringing it.

5. May 1, 2012 #5 of 25
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My guess is that those 3 HR24's with 2TB drives in them are leased as well. :nono:

6. May 1, 2012 #6 of 25
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    When I skimmed over that part of his post I assumed he was referring to EHDs attached to them, but if not then he has perhaps unknowingly violated the lease agreement on the boxes unless he owns them AIUI.

7. May 1, 2012 #7 of 25
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Easy.

I wonder how many of the lease police have ever moved their DVR. That also violates your lease agreement. Whatever happened to using common sense?

Cue Moderator...

8. May 1, 2012 #8 of 25
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    To me i get the regular upgrade price $399 + $49 install and $99 CCK because i added receivers before and got free HD Receiver H24 with free install, $40 standard rcvr so i'm not eligible for discount or free upgrade :mad:

9. May 1, 2012 #9 of 25
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Did you really just compare opening and modifying a leased DVR to moving one? :confused:

10. rbohling

rbohling Cool Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Bullard, TX
    I had the HMC HR34/CCK installed last week. I get so sick of the way they operate. I called and told them I was concidering switching to Dish and getting the Hopper/Joey and it would cost me nothing. What could they do? I was told $400 and said, I guess that helps make up my mind. Scheduled with Dish and called back and told DirecTV to cancel me. Then they said $199 + tax = $215

Told em I could live with that and did it (hoped for free, but oh well). Was told by tech that new customers have to pay $100 for the unit (Don't know if it's true) Just pisses me off that existing customers get the short end and they gear towards new. Especially since I have been with them since the beginning and spent $1000s on equipment and service over the years. Don't get me wrong, I know Dish plays the same games.

11. BBM3

BBM3 Mentor

Oct 26, 2007

I agree it is crazy.
    One CSR quotes a price. The next level quotes another and so it goes until someone, (The Senior VP of Customer Service office in my case) makes a "reasonable" offer.
    When the Tech arrived with the new HR34, the box had been opened and the remote was missing so not only did I pay and agree to a 2 year contract I was left with my 6 year old remote.

I did my own SWM and Whole Home installs to avoid the quagmire of nonsense from D*. From now on I'll also buy my own DVR's as we did in the old days.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Moved to a different residence or rooms? I've heard claims that moving to a different room is in violation, but that is not true.

13. skyh00k

skyh00k New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    I've been a customer since 2004 and have had my HR20's for that long. They've been dog slow all along but after the HD guide upgrade I commonly get the finger from the boxes for up to a minute or so before they will process my remote control commands. Switching between channels or pulling up the guide would take up to 30 seconds and a minimum of 15 seconds.

So I've paid around $1150 in lease fees since 2004 and I'll also probably pay another $1000 or so before I do another upgrade. I brought that up with the lady in retention who was very helpful and didn't hesitate when I told her I wanted an HR34 for $0. They also gave me a replacement HR24 for the other HR20.

On top of that, I got an appointment to install tomorrow. So now if I can work through the gotchas that will surely come during the installation I'll be good for another 8 years or so.

14. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Those are the rules. They're even in the same sentence. The penalty isn't any less for one violation than another.

We're both right. They changed the agreement and took out my favorite thing to ridicule.

The old agreement said,
    It's quite impossible to move your receiver across the room without removing and relocating.

But the new one just says,
    So the old agreement even prohibited returning your equipment. That's quite a catch-22. I'm glad to see they fixed it.

15. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    no such thing as lease fees...those are mirroring fees

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Before The changes February wasn't it billed as Lease fee or for owned additional receiver fee?

17. Gocanes

Gocanes AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    A couple of questions:

1) Were you outside of your 2 year commitment?

2) How hard was it to get them to agree to the free HR34?

3) How did they guarantee an HR24 when normally they say that they can't give a specific model HD DVR?

Thanks

18. BBM3

BBM3 Mentor

Oct 26, 2007
    As I stated above it is like spining a roulette wheel.
    I have been a customer since 1996. Never missed paying a bill on time and have always had the top tier programing package.
    I shudder to think how many 10's of thousands of dollars we have spent in hardware and programing fees with D* in the past 15+ years.

Please D* throw us long term off contract customers a bone and give us the same offers you give to new customers..

19. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I was able to get the HR34 and MRV installed for free. I was out of my 24 mo commitment, said I might cancel and they sent me to retention. Told him I wanted an HR34 to replace my HR22 that was failing, what could he do? He then said he would give me everything I mentioned for free. I did have an offer on my account already for a free HD DVR, so that may have helped.

On the HR24, retention can send you a specific DVR. Front line CSR's don't seem to have access to do this. So it is possible, in certain situations.

20. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    yes but leased denoted a leased receiver vs owned...DTV all lease fees are paid in a lump sum up front