1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 pixellation issues on weather channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by floridaman, Jan 28, 2012.

1. floridaman

floridaman New Member

Jan 11, 2012
    I have an HR34, HR24-100 and a H25-100. The HR34 has a problem on the weather channel (362). It constantly pixellates and only does so on the HR34. DirecTV has been here numerous times to try and resolve the issue. They even swapped the HR34 and the new box did the same thing. You can watch the same content on the HR24 and HR34. The 34 will pixellate on the weather channel and the 24 doesn't. Thinking I could have a cable problem I moved the 34 to bedroom and 24 to living room. Again the 34 pixellates and the 24 doesn't. This rules out cable problem. I live in a house that is only 4 years old and have very high end cable that was run through the house. The cable from the satellite is less than 150 feet. Last night DirecTv replaced the LNB and this didn't help. Everything has been ruled out which leads me back to the box. The engineering department said there is a problem with 480P and the weather channel but not when the resolution is set to 1080I. Why would I watch a high def channel in 480P? My point is that DirecTv can't seem to replicate the problem. Last night after the LNB was replaced I watched the TWC for a couple of hours with no issues. Then watched some other channels and then turned TWC on. The pixellation started again and was pretty bad. It is almost like things are good until the box has warmed up then the problem starts again. The bottom line is there has to be a problem with all of the HR34's or possibly I have received two defective boxes. Trying to see if anyone else has seen this issue or would be willing to watch the channel and see if it occurs on your HR34. I am doing a test today by recording Weather Proof at 2PM EST, Cantore Stories at 3PM AND 3:30PM EST. I have a call into the supervisor in this area to record the same content on an HR34. We can compare the recordings and see if the problem occurs on their end. It would be great if a few of you members could do the same. I think we could either narrow down problem to my box or to all the 34's.

Thanks
    Doug

2. Graygeek

Graygeek New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    +1 It's not just you. I have seen the same exact issue on my HR34 since the day I got it. Only seems to be on the Weather Channel. I've attributed this and a few other quirks to normal issues of a new model receiver and that it should improve with updates.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Add me to the list.

4. floridaman

floridaman New Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. It is nice to know now that I am not the only person having this problem. It would be great if you guys could report this issue to DirecTv. According to DirecTv there have been no reports of this issue except for me. The more reports the more likely it is for Engineering to fix the problem.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    There may be something specific about the HR34 that causes this, as that is not really that unusual, sad to say. The DVB spec is not that specific, leaving how reception occurs mostly up to the receivers' chip designers, so there could be something unique there.

How does interactive work for you, and for other HR34 owners? TWC seems to tie into interactive services to get the specific forecasts to specific markets, so might play a part in this.

Also, does it pixellate if you tune to the channel and do not pause or skip back/forward? The DVR connects directly to the tuner at channel change, but stuff is routed through the HDD's read/write once trick play is invoked. If it only does it after trick play, that indicates HDD issues (unlikely). If it does it all the time and right after channel change, that pretty much rules out HDD issues.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If the cause is what I suspect (interactive, weather on the 8's), next time you are having issues, hit EXIT to disable the interactive features (or hit pause for 30 second, then play, so you are actually watching from the buffer) or both, and see if it clears it up.

I am still experimenting.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    +1, also have seen this problem for ages and have reported it numerous times. As mentioned earlier it appears to have something to do with the local weather application loading in the background. IMHO with all the other issues the HR34 has this is probably not one of the higher priority bugs that need to be fixed.

8. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I can't find fault with that opinion. But I wonder what the logic is for them to take a lukewarm approach to quashing these bugs; if it were my DBS company I would have my own "Seal Team 6" fixing such issues. IOW, I don't think they invest enough in ensuring reliability, which is troublesome and unworthy of them. They are "cheaping out". When DISH starts to look about the same by comparison, you know you need to step it up. :grin:

9. floridaman

floridaman New Member

Jan 11, 2012
    The pixellation occurs when simply switching to the TWC. It sometimes takes a while before the issue starts. It also appears to happen more often when watching a special show like Cantore stories, Coastguard Alaska, etc. I recorded Tornado Road today and it happened once during that show. I will try what the other post suggested as well about exiting out of the interactive options when they appear. The bottom line is DirecTV needs to figure out the problem and correct it. Engineering has been informed of the problem but apparently can't recreate the issue which means they aren't doing enough intensive testing as they should be. I had Fios before this service and switched because they had numerous channels with pixellation problems. Fios was a great service but they are very slow to fix technical problems. The whole reason I switched was because of the above issues. I guess pixellation on one channel and one receiver is better than multiple channels.

10. Graygeek

Graygeek New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    +1 to floridaman's description above.