1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 Question: Does it still prompt you when it's about to begin recording a show?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PHL, Mar 12, 2012.

1. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Thinking of upgrading to an HR34.

I currently have an HR24. Whenever a scheduled recording is about to begin, a message pops up asking whether to resume or cancel, even if the recording is going to happen on the background tuner. The problem is that my wife and kids instinctively just hit "cancel" most of the time without thinking.

Does the HR34 still do this? It shouldn't unless there are no available tuners remaining. Would save a lot of headaches wondering why some shows didn't record properly. It's cheaper to replace the STB than the wife (although the latter choice sometimes seems more appealing).

2. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    In almost 2 months, since I activated my HR 34, I have not seen this pop up request.

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    IIRC, I've only seen it once or twice, the rare times when 5 shows were scheduled to record and I happened to be watching a LIVE channel that wasn't one of them.

I'm set up WHDVR, not RVU. The difference being remote RVU displays can tie up HR34 tuners as well, so maybe more likely to happen.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it does when you're already using 5 tuners. It's never happened to me.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Your HR24 shouldnt be doing this either unless one tuner is recording and you are watching something else live....

6. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    ...or if you have double play active.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I've noticed an HR22 I have has been annoyingly doing this for a good while now, including this morning :mad:;

Guess its a bug. I have a SL setup to record from an OTA channel at around 6:30 AM, but leave the DVR on my local ABC outlet (KABC 7) so GMA stating at 7:00 AM is in the live buffer when I awake. And not only do I get the popup message when the 6:30 AM show is about to record, yet with both tuners available.

But if I'm asleep when the message comes up and therefore do nothing the DVR will actually tune to the channel its recording instead of sending it to the background tuner. :rolleyes:

8. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. It's good to know that D* got it right with the HR34.

This isn't as much as a problem for me as it used to be, before I got 2 extra DVR's and MRV. I moved most of *my* SL's to a rarely-used TV in a separate room. However, I still notice the popup once in a while on the main living-room DVR. I guess it primarily happens when I've got double play active. With 5 tuners, I wouldn't anticipate this happening very often.