HR34 reboots daily at 5:04p

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MacKenziesHero, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1 of 18
    MacKenziesHero

MacKenziesHero New Member

Dec 4, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    On Saturday last, I replaced the failing 3TB external drive on my Genie (HR34/700) with a new 3TB external drive. I followed the instructions I found here:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/158213-removing-replacing-copying-hard-drive-of-hr2-receiver-photo-tutorial/
    It worked beautifully and now I have smooth TV and uninterrupted video playback.

Unfortunately, since I switched the external HDD, the Genie reboots daily at 5:04p (CST).

FTR - I have not changed any of the electrical setup (a substantial power conditioner that feeds the TV and a small UPS where the external HDD and the Genie are connected).

Any suggestions on the cause and (more importantly) the solution?

2. Dec 5, 2014 #2 of 18
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Interesting. Are you sure it's the exact same time every day? Can you try a different plug for both and see what happens? Also have you checked to see if your power supply for the dish is plugged into a circuit that doesn't have something else happening everyday around 5?

3. Dec 5, 2014 #3 of 18
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Is your Genie connected to the internet? If so, try disconnecting the internet and see if the receiver no longer reboots.

4. Dec 6, 2014 #4 of 18
    MacKenziesHero

Dec 4, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    My Genie is connected to the Internet downstream where the cable enters the house from the dish. I have an HR24 that is a similar distance from the Internet connection and it does not reboot.

The timing seems to be pretty precise. It can't be more than 2 minutes either side of 5:04p that the reboot occurs. The reboot changes the sort order of my "Play List" to by "date". One of the first things I do after a reboot is switch the list to by "Title". Prior to 5:04p, the list is still sorted by title, so I know the DVR is not rebooting at any other time in the 24hr cycle.

I got home from work late today (at 5:02 - just in time to witness the reboot, but not early enough to rework the wiring setup). I will rework the wiring setup tomorrow before 5:04 to test that out.

We remodeled the house 3 years ago so I set a dedicated circuit to the HR34. There is a single outlet that has an APC H10 Power Conditioner plugged into it. The TV is plugged into the power conditioner and an APC Back-UPS 350 (Uninterrupted Power Supply). The HR34 and the new Fantom GFP3000EU3 Professional 3TB external drive are plugged into the battery backup side of the UPS. On the non-battery backed up side of the UPS are:
    - a Linksys router
    - a Kinivo HS420 Matrix (HDMI splitter to run HDMI to a second TV)
    - a MDR1R0 (DirecTV tablet/computer gateway)
    - Chromecast
    these 4 items should probably be plugged directly into the power conditioner... but I was lazy and the UPS was far more accessible than the backside of the power conditioner. I will move the 4 items to a separate circuit that is nearby leaving just the TV, HR34, and external HDD on the first circuit before the 5:04p timeframe.

That's everything on this electrical circuit.

5. Dec 6, 2014 #5 of 18
    SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Just because the HR24 does not reboot means nothing.

Unplug the internet from the HR34 and see if it reboots at 5:02

6. Dec 6, 2014 #6 of 18
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    And how is the HR24 connected to the Internet? Is it deca being bridged by the HR34 I hope?

What other recievers do you have in your system? IF no others Id be curios what happens if you swap the genie and the HR24 for a few days and see what developes.

7. Dec 6, 2014 #7 of 18
    Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    Did I read that right? Your DVR is connected to a UPS? APC UPS's perform a daily test. If the batteries are old and cannot support the load, everything loses power for a few seconds and then comes back. Mine tests at about 9 am. The batteries in the UPS's only last about 3 to 5 years.

8. Dec 6, 2014 #8 of 18
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Awh that could very well be the issue! Unplug it's power and see what happens.

9. Dec 6, 2014 #9 of 18
    MacKenziesHero

Dec 4, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    I have a "Deca Broadband Adapter" that connects the Internet to my HR34 and HR 24 receivers. I left it connected for today's test.

I disconnected the UPS from the setup connecting just three devices directly to the power conditioner:
    - HR34
    - external HD
    - TV

All other devices and the UPS that were previously plugged into the power conditioner are now on different circuits. The three devices above are the only things on the electrical circuit.

At 5:04p today, the HR34 rebooted.

Tomorrow I will switch the HR24 and HR34. I will also disconnect the Internet from the Deca broadband adapter. ...And then cross my fingers again.

10. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I'd take the power conditioner out of the loop for testing purposes. Get rid of everything that could be causing the problem.

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    You may want to Remove the UPS (for testing) you may find it to be the cause

12. MacKenziesHero

Dec 4, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    The UPS was removed today... just the power conditioner prior to the UPS remained. For tomorrow's 5:04pm test, I will switch this DVR with my HR24.

13. Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    Even the line conditioner (surge) side of the UPS could lose power during the test when the batteries are bad. My TV was plugged into the surge only side and would restart too after my UPS ran a self test.

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Have you checked what the power supply for the dish is plugged into yet? And give it a few days after you swap them because the timing of the reboot could change.

15. MacKenziesHero

Dec 4, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    What is the power supply for the dish? Is it the SWM 8x powerd, coax cable splitter? If so, no, I have not checked this power supply. It is indeed connected to a UPS (not the same one that the HR34 was hooked up to yesterday). I will connect this power supply directly to the outlet in case that UPS is the source of my problems.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I’’ll be waiting for an update...

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    It's not a splitter. It's a small box the coax goes in and in your case likely also comes out of.

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If there is any UPS plugged into the same circuit it might cause a voltage drop on that circuit. So make sure the UPS is unplugged entirely, not that you simply removed the HR34 from it.

If your UPS does have a flat battery, you can buy a replacement battery online for less than buying a new UPS. Just make sure you check about local recycling options so the old battery doesn't end up in the landfill. Lead acid batteries are very recyclable!