1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34, Universal RF Remote questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Earguy, May 20, 2012.

1. Earguy

Earguy Cool Member

May 14, 2012
    In my house, we have an HR34 receiver with two IR remotes (his and hers).

In my usual spot in the room, the IR remote does not work well to control the HR34, so I was thinking about getting the Universal RF remote.

Now, if I get the RF remote, will my wife still be able to use the IR remote? If not, could I get two RF remotes and have both of them control the same receiver?

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You can't use both RF and IR at the same time. That being said though unless you get the X-Sight remote that has built in RF support for the DirecTV HR receivers you'll be ok. The rest of the "Universal RF" remotes out there actually use a receiver near the unit it is controlling that receives the RF signal and outputs IR.

For example I have a Harmony 900 remote which uses RF to talk to its receiver. The receiver then outputs IR to control my HR34. So I can use my Harmony 900 RF remote and the DirecTV remote setup for IR at the same time.

3. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Two Directv remotes set to RF will work fine. ;)

4. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    I wasn't aware you could set two Directv remotes to control the same DVR via RF. How is that accomplished?

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Set up one using the instructions on the screen, then set up the other following the same instructions.

6. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    The same way you set up the first one. The satellite receiver will only display the directions once though, so you have to memorize or write them down or program all the remotes at the same time. Some folks have multiple tv's working off one DVR with RF remotes at each tv. Some just need his and hers.

7. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    hah, yup, that's correct. I guess I forgot about that when I posted above. :lol:

8. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks, that's why I was confused since the second remote is only working in IR mode the DVR wasn't responding.

9. Earguy

Earguy Cool Member

May 14, 2012
    OK, so I've ordered two RF remotes, and will program them at the same time. Thanks guys, let me know if there's anything else I'm missing!

10. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Welcome to DBSTalk.com BTW! :)

11. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Once you have one RF remote and receiver in RF mode, put them aside, just do the following on second or third RF remotes:

1. dtv, av1, or av2
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
    3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
    5. enter 9 6 1
    6. press CH UP
    7. enter the last 6 digits of Receiver ID#(RID), found on a sticker in the access card compartment
    8. press SELECT

12. Earguy

Earguy Cool Member

May 14, 2012
    Follow-up: Got both remotes (RC65RBX), programmed them, it's all good. Edmund, your instructions were flawless. Thanks for everyone's support!

13. ekkoville

ekkoville New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Earguy,

Just curious what kind of range you're getting with the RF. I'm thinking of a similar setup only two rooms being fed from one receiver.

Also, does the ir still work for the TV volume?

14. onebadmofo

onebadmofo AllStar

May 24, 2012
    Not to thread jack, but I have a Harmony 880 unopened. Will it work with the HR34?

Thanks!

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes, in IR mode.

16. onebadmofo

onebadmofo AllStar

May 24, 2012
    Awesome thanks!

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Not 100% correct. You can use the RF capabilities of the Harmony 900, and I do. It uses RF to communicate with its repeater which converts the signal to IR to communicate with your devices.

18. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    True, but the 880 isn't RF. In any case the DVR must be in IR mode to work with any universal besides Xsight regardless of whether the remote is RF or not.

Also the OP should use the HR20 profile because others were incomplete last time I checked.

19. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You're right. I thought he was asking about the 900 for some reason. :lol:

20. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Yes, of course it does. It just needs to be programed by the user.

Some folks get different results on RF range depending on any number of factors, you just need to step out on a limb an check it out.