1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44-200 no more bouncy logo - now nature scenes for screensaver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Spooklight, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Spooklight

Spooklight New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    tell me I’m crazy. But freezing my genie goes to nature scenes instead of the logo. Are going to change the logo?

2. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I thought I was going crazy when I saw a screensaver that was a picture and not the moving logo. Before I realized something different was going on, I had hit Exit, and the image was gone. Since then, I have tried to re-create it, but have only seen the usual washed-out gray screen with the moving logo.

Can you re-create the nature scenes and, if so, how?

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Our 44 had the logo last night. What firmware update (and date) do you have?

4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    OK, here is what I got when I paused the playback of a recording:

DTV Screen Saver.JPG

Weird! Where did that come from? I have had no SW updates for several months, and this just started appearing. On the down side, the screen-saver when playing music is still the awful washed-out gray screen with the Soundscapes box showing the song title, etc.

5. iacas

iacas DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    I have gotten a photo of Lake Tahoe the past few times I've gotten the screensaver, despite running the software update (0x1104?) from August 2nd.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I too am getting the Lake Tahoe screensaver (HR54-200 0x110c September, C61K-700 0x10d1 August).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. ccccsdad

ccccsdad New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    The issue I have is that the Direct Tv logo and time never moves when the scene changes. Why the heck do they do random garbage like this?

I WANT MORE likes this.
  8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Hope your display is not an OLED....

I WANT MORE likes this.
  9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    just noticed this today on my HR44-200! I like it.
    I don't think you need a SW update for this to happen.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Like it as well ...

Currently on a, "can't discuss it here," type update on my HR54.

First pause of live TV got the Mesa Arch, Utah scene. Then after another pause the Lake Tahoe, CA. one came up which eventually switched back to the Mesa Arch one while on the same second pause.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Spooklight likes this.
  11. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    With this particular modification, it appears that the newly minted mid-management millennials-in-charge at AT&T, most of whom are "woke," but few of whom appear to have ever experienced, much less heard of, screen burn-in, thought it was a good idea to promote AT&T's idea of "branding," which, if this particular "screen saver" is left on for any length of time will become a more of a literal, rather than a figurative, even on OLED, LED, and LCD screens.

Welcome to the DBSTALK forum, ccccsdad.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  12. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Not really an issue with LED displays. I just wish they had done something with the screensaver that pops up when playing one of the music channels. I don’t pause live TV often enough to benefit from nature screens.

13. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Leave a bright white static graphic on your LED screen for 6+ hours and tell me again how it's "[N]ot really an issue." Even if you are able to eventually clear the burn-in, it affects all such screens and shortens their lives. Bottom line, the graphic is neither a well-thought-out nor well-executed idea.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  14. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Sorry, screen burn-in is not an issue on LED panels. If you think differently, perhaps you could provide proof. However, I whole-heartedly agree that the graphic is not well thought out.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    How about this from Samsung? You know, a company that manufactures and sells LED screens.
    Are LED TVs Subject To Burn In? | Samsung Support Gulf

16. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
  17. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Actually, as I am somewhat old-school, "persistence" may be the better term, rather than "burn-in." In any event, it is, to me, both experiencially and common-sensically, somewhat obvious that a statically displayed, long-term image, such as a DIRECTV/AT&T logo/Death Star will remain persistent for a very long time, perhaps forever, if displayed on any screen for an indefinite period of time.

As to LEDs in particular:

"Proof" Example 1: https://lifehacker.com/5982108/is-burn-in-still-an-issue-on-tvs-and-monitors/
    "Proof" Example 2: Are LED TVs Subject To Burn In? | Samsung Support Gulf

There are many other such examples.

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You do realize there's no such thing as an "LED panel", right? It is the exact same technology as LCD TVs, it simply uses a different type of backlight. The burn in has nothing to do with the backlight, so claims that so-called "LED TVs" are somehow immune to burn in / image retention that affects LCD TVs is ridiculous.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Could you reveal a duration of the pause ?