1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44-500 Audio Issue - Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dvdmth, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1 of 20
    dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    We just added an HR44-500 to our DirecTV setup a few days ago. I am noticing, on this new DVR, that after performing trickplay the audio does not begin playing until a couple of seconds after the video starts playing. This did not happen with any of our HR2x series receivers. Is this behavior normal with the Genies? It is especially annoying when pressing the REPLAY button, because by the time the audio starts playing, the playback position is almost back to where I was at the time I pressed the button.

The HR44-500 is hooked up to an Onkyo HT-S6100 AVR using HDMI.

2. Sep 6, 2013 #2 of 20
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    This has started occurring on my HR44-500 also. Seems as though it started following the firmware update to 0x0740. It is annoying....

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 20
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    It happens on my HR44/700 also. I reported it in the issues thread for fw725 and again for fw 740. I also spoke to Directv about it, and they claimed there were no other reports of the problem in their records. She also started advising me to swap cables and that it could be my Pioneer AVR. So no luck with them. I recommend you post about the problem in the 0740 issues thread, and if it isn't fixed in the next fw update, keep reporting it.

BTW, In addition to the HDMI cable running to my AVR I also have a wireless speaker originating from the Audio Out jack on the HR44 (a speaker I can turn on in the kitchen) and it experiences the same audio delay issue. That tends to eliminate the HDMI or our AVRs as the source of the issue. The same audio delay also happens when use PIP and/or Doubleplay, in other words whenever you switch tuners.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #4 of 20
    dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    OK, thanks for the info. I mainly asked because I wasn't entirely sure that it weren't an issue with our AVR (which is a few years old now) that just started to show up with the new DVR. Though it is an annoyance (especially with REPLAY, as I mentioned), I can easily deal with it.

5. Sep 6, 2013 #5 of 20
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I think this might be similar to the audio drop issue that went on quite a long time. It's similar in that drops on some AVRs were longer depending on the type of stereo. Onkyos were exasperating the delay, but Yamaha were so quick. I have no delay with this issue on my Yamaha. Just guessing here...

1 person likes this.
  6. Sep 6, 2013 #6 of 20
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    I think I should post that my AVR is an Onkyo also....

7. Sep 6, 2013 #7 of 20
    txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    I actually got so pissed at my Onkyo for this exact same problem several years ago that I switched out to a Pioneer and have never looked back.

8. Sep 6, 2013 #8 of 20
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    I don't want to hijack this thread...A new recv'r would be nice, but the Onkyo recv'r has a feature that a lot of recv'rs don't have today(at least at a low price point) and that is "Speaker B" outputs for wired deck speakers.

9. Sep 6, 2013 #9 of 20
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I don't believe that this issue has anything to do with our AVRs at all. I'm basing that on my post above and the fact that I know of people experiencing the same audio delays when switching tuners, and they aren't using an AVR at all.

10. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    You are correct in that the problem is not with the AVRs; however, how quick the AVRs recover from the problem when it occurs is what varies considerably amongst different brands of receivers, and for whatever reason, Onkyo's are very slow. I owned several of them as they were my receiver of choice, but after one year of putting up with it and realizing DirecTV didn't have a clue about fixing it, I decided to try a different brand. I posted many times about this on the Audio Drop Out thread that Old School started.

11. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    HR44-700, using 30SKIP and I often use the 7 second replay and a Yamaha RXV-1900 and I don't have this problem - or at least I don't notice a problem with the audio dropping out.

Are you using 30SKIP or 30SLIP?

12. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I don't think my Pioneer is affecting the "recovery time" in any way. Here's why... I get the exact same delay on my wireless kitchen speakers (patched in the HR44's Audio Out jack) as I do from Pioneer (patched in the HDMI), usually around 3-4 seconds. Both jacks work simultaneously on the HRs, so I can put the wireless speaker up to one ear and listed for my surround sound with my other ear. The delay is the exact same.

13. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Actually the issue I've been discussing doesn't involve skip, slip, or any trick play function. My issue involves an audio delay occurs when you turn on Doubleplay or PIP and switch between tuners. Sorry that I misread the OP (second time I've sone that, sorry). But still, similar issues here, and maybe they're linked in some way.

14. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    I just tried it with Double Play on my HR44-700 and did not have any issues with audio.

Understand the wireless speaker thing - but could the HDMI Handshake be delaying all audio from playing?

Just curious if your HDMI is unplugged and you're hooked up through an analog connection for video - would the audio still be delayed on the wireless speakers?

15. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    LiQiCe, that is a good question. It may take me awhile to test your theory since my A/V rack makes it difficult to access cabling. But good question. Your theory is that since the HDMI is being used, it may be controlling/affecting both the Audio Out and HDMI outputs. Hmmm.

16. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    FWIW I do not have ANY audio drop/delay issues when using DoublePlay or PIP with my Onkyo. The only time there's any perceptible delay when switching tuners/channels is when switching between SD and HD, and that's because DirecTV uses PCM on SD channels instead of DD (thus requiring the AVR to switch codecs). That has always been there for as long as we've had the Onkyo, and the delay is usually a second or so. Much less than the delay I'm getting now with trickplay functions.

The audio delay happens after 30SKIP, 30SLIP, REPLAY, even PAUSE/PLAY.

17. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    I started a post a few days ago and have the same issue on my 44-500

Mine does it on pause as well

18. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    It only does it certain channels... Weird

19. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I figured out the cause of this issue and how to avoid it. At least it seems to work for me.

It appears the problem only happens if you switch from an SD channel/program to an HD channel/program. (Or, perhaps more accurately, it happens when switching from a non-Dolby Digital program to a Dolby Digital program.) The audio lag issue remains for as long as you are tuned to that particular HD program/channel. If, however, you switch from an HD program to another HD program, the audio lag issue is goneā€”even if it were present while watching the previous program. Going from HD to SD, on the other hand, does not cause the problem.

I normally have my DVR tuned to GSN (which is an SD channel) by default. This is why I've been having the audio issue. If I change to, say, ESPN before I start watching a recording, the audio delay is gone completely.

I thought of this right after my previous post, about how the Onkyo will have a small delay when switching between SD and HD channels. That got me thinking that maybe my leaving the DVR tuned to an SD channel was somehow causing the problem while watching HD recordings. Sure enough, that appears to be the case, at least from my testing over the last half hour or so.

I guess the DVR, during trickplay, is forgetting that the current program has DD audio instead of the PCM audio of what was previously tuned, so when normal playback resumes, it erroneously switches to PCM mode, then has to switch back to Dolby Digital. The double switch would result in a delay in audio output, which would be twice as long a normal switch between the two audio codecs (which I think is about right for what I've observed with the Onkyo).

Can anyone else test out this theory?

20. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Just tested and same thing here

From hd to hd, no issues

From sd to hd, it does it until you go to another hd source

I'm on an Onkyo as well