HR44-500 internal hard drive problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Lokeymd, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Lokeymd

Lokeymd New Member

Sep 19, 2014
    HR44 keeps on freezing and then resetting. Storage error on blue screen. I spoke with tech support and I was told that receiver will need to be replaced due to bad hard drive but no guarantees that I will get an HR44. I asked if I can just connect an external hard drive to bypass the internal and I was told that it will not work since internal hard drive is bad already. Is this true? Thanks for replying.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Not true,get the drive connected and you'll know the answer for real.

1 person likes this.
  3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    An external eSATA drive should work fine even if the internal drive is toast.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I ran a 20-700 with a bad 1TB Seagate internal for years using an external drive. Why does anyone listen to the CSRs?

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OK, I finally looked and I see you're new to the forum. Some advice, if I may? If you call six CSRs with the same problem, you're probably gonna get six different answers, none of them right. Here, we have the knowledge base to answer questions properly. The CSRs are just reading from a script and have little knowledge of anything that's not on that script. You will get different suggestions here too, but most of them will work. What you need to do is read a bit and decide who knows what he's doing and go with that person's suggestions. There's a lot of free help here, but you do need to filter it out a bit.

Rich

6. Oct 9, 2014 #7 of 12
    gandalf239

gandalf239 New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Had the drive in my HR44-500 fail. Used the lost content argument on DTV to try to get a Genie Go. They didn't budge... Until I took it to social media. It lessens the sting of the lost program a little. :) Plus, they replaced the the failed unit with an HR44-700. Prior to setting up that new unit though, and since I can't open the box (it's leased), I'm trying the freezer trick. It's something we do at work (it works about 8 times out of 10) when we have a failing hard drive: put it in the freezer (in a moisture-proof bag) overnight, and then clone it the next day. I'm hoping the drive in the failed 500 comes back long enough to move programming to the Go, and from there to my mobile devices. It will (hopefully) at least give me a little more time to watch stuff.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I used an external that was admittedly a couple years old when I got a new HR24 in May, but 5 months later it went into a scan/repair loop. I rue that decision to be cheap and not start with a fresh drive, as I am about to lose 160 hours of programming (98% of which is backed up).

The code was 75-480. I read that "75-" indicates an enclosure problem, so WTF, I moved the drive into the HR24, but it did not help. I have a new drive coming and as a last-ditch effort I will try to clone to it using a stand-alone cloner. Odds are slim; if the data is corrupted that probably won't work.

But I'm desperate. And thanks, now I have another last-ditch effort to try (freezer trick).

Not sure why the reluctance and associated horror stories here about popping the hood on a HR24; I had the drive swapped in record time. I guess its all about using the credit card strips.

Also, I am leaving the lid off, for better heat control, at least for the PS. It's really only there for aesthetic value, liability issues, and to keep your wife from spilling her carmel macchiato into it.

But your post also raises a couple of questions:

If you clone it, why would you need to be concerned how long it "comes back for"? As long as it lasts through the clone, don't you just then use the clone and toss the original away?

And if it is leased and you can't open the box (something I am not about to lose sleep over), how do you get that HDD into the freezer?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The hr24 is small enough to fit into freezer :)

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    But that might make the picture freeze. :disk:

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    not to worry, CPU and other components will works as usual !

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Really? Have you tried it? I usually take your advice, but this seems a bit iffy.

Rich