1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44-500 w/ legacy dish? SWM-8?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SledgeHammer, Aug 11, 2013.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    If I have a legacy dish and don't want to deal with DirecTV installers to replace the LNB, can I use the SWM-8 with the HR44-500? I can access my attic where my current multi-switch is, just not gonna climb on the roof :).

Are there any draw backs to using the SWM-8 vs. the LNB integrated one?

I wouldn't need to support any legacy IRDs, just really hate dealing with the installers, so if I can do it myself in the attic, that would be ideal.

I currently have 2 RG6 cables running to the living room with one multiplexing OTA. I understand the SWM8 has an OTA port where the one built into the LNB does not?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    By legacy dish, do you mean a round one, or just non SWM slimline dish? I'm assuming slimline but want to be sure.

If it is a slimline, for a self install the swm-8 is fine. The LNB is just cheaper.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Like depters11 said, as long as what you have now is a Slimline dish, and you have 4 coax coming down from the dish to your attic, then you should be just fine.

Don't mix the ota in, you can use your second coax for ota directly from the antenna to whatever you are feeding it into. You only need one coax for your DVRs and/or Genie with SWM.

Personally, I see no drawbacks using an SWM8 other than (1) cost and (2) needing 4 coax from the dish rather than 1. In your case the second consideration doesn't apply as you already have all 4.

4. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yeah, I have the 5 LNB slimline dish now. SWM8 is like $120 retail lol, but selling brand new on eBay & Amazon for like $20 to $30 with the power inverter included. Would not have even considered upgrading if it cost $120 :).