HR44/700, AM21 & 0x114b - Cannot edit OTA antenna channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bt-rtp, Jan 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    After the software update to version 0x114b, when I try to go to:

Settings > Sat & Antenna > Over-The-Air Antenna Setup > Edit Antenna Channels

I cannot edit the channels and the OTA signal meters are not displayed. Is this a known issue?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    Can you still get your ota channels you had?

3. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    Yes I get all of the OTA channels that I was getting previously.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would reboot the IRD and AM21, then re-run setup

5. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    I followed these steps:

1.) Unplug AM21 USB cable and power cables
    2.) Reboot HR44
    3.) Verified HR44 no longer had AM21 in menu and OTA channels were gone
    4.) Powered up AM21
    5.) Connected AM21 to HR44 via USB cable (as if it were a LCC)
    6.) Did not see a "new device" detected message after making the USB connection
    7.) Verified the HR44 did have the AM21 in the menu and OTA channels are all there
    8.) Reset the OTA settings and did the OTA setup as if new
    9.) Went to Settings > Sat & Antenna > Over-The-Air Antenna Setup > Edit Antenna Channels
    10.) Confirmed that I still cannot edit the OTA channels, and the OTA signal meters are not displayed.

So the reboot and re-running setup of the HR44 and AM21 had no effect.

6. coconut13

coconut13 Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Try a different USB cable. Sometimes the USB cable gets goofy and for some reason doesn't function right with the AM21. I've had this happen a couple times with my AM21.

7. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    I replaced the USB cable, re-tested and received the same results. Below is a screen shot. The only button on the remote that does anything is the left arrow which goes back to the prior menu screen. The "select" and other arrow buttons do nothing.

HR44-edit-ota-channels.jpg

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    another remote ?

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That "null" there seems mighty suspicious, it looks to me like something went wrong that the software didn't anticipate and couldn't handle.

There have been cases in the past where the AM21 got weird PSIP information from one of the stations that the receiver firmware didn't know what to do with. This might be another case of that since this isn't something everyone is reporting - it is probably specific to your market.

If you are interested in trying out pre-release firmware on your HR44 to see if it fixes the problem you can visit iamanedgecutter.com, the threads in the Cutting Edge information thread will tell you how to participate. That way if the problem continues you can at least have a chance of that information getting back to Directv so it will be fixed in the future, or if they've already fixed it you can run that newer firmware (which may break other things, so it isn't risk free) to get back your AM21 functionality.