Hr44-700 and Directv Ready TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Thomas Kudrich, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jan 4, 2017 #1 of 21
    Thomas Kudrich

Thomas Kudrich New Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Sorry if this post is redundant, but I've read so much...and much conflicting information online.

Here is my current setup.. I have a Direct HR44-700 DVR with Whole Home enabled. I just purchased a LG 60UH8500 Smart TV that has the Directv app.

I get the 4 digit code from the direct receiver and input into the tv app but it gives me a 54-296 error code that the box could not connect to the network.

Per directv I need a DECA box for the TV to work but from post online the HR44 should not require it.

I'm lost and confused....I need someone to explain this like I'm a first grader.

2. Jan 5, 2017 #2 of 21
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, in order to activate the RVU TV you need a DECA, at the very least for activation, then you can switch to ethernet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Jan 5, 2017 #3 of 21
    Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
    Thanks for that info. Directv offered to come put it in for free....so I guess I'll let them.

4. Jan 6, 2017 #4 of 21
    DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    I would double and triple check that info, an rvu install is not free, it's 49.99 , however if you have the protection plan a service call would be free, but wouldn't get an rvu installed, that needs an install work order not a service call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

5. Jan 6, 2017 #5 of 21
    Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
    Then sent a confirmation email.

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTIONS

Qty Description
    ADDITIONAL FEES

Installation Fee $0.00
    Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00
    Tax $0.00
    RVU Re-installation Due to Previous Broadband Issues for $0.00
    ORDER TOTAL PAID** $0.00

6. Jan 6, 2017 #6 of 21
    DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Ok, then the agent set it up in a way that they're not supposed to for an initial rvu install, that option is available but it's not supposed to be used for am initial rvu install, but that is an install and not a service call so you're good to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

7. Jan 6, 2017 #7 of 21
    Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
    I also just purchased a HR54 off ebay, when I switch out the 44 will I still need the DECA?

I purchased before researched and didn't realize that box doesn't output 4K on it's own.

8. Jan 6, 2017 #8 of 21
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The 54 gets installed the same way as your 44. It is a straight swap. Hopefully you called DIRECTV to make sure the 54 is owned and can be activated or that is brand new and it never had been activated in which case there would be a two year commit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. Jan 6, 2017 #9 of 21
    Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
    LOL...of course I didn't....I did it off the cuff and without thinking. Guess I'll have to roll the dice now.

10. Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
    Ok so Directv comes over and the tech's don't have the correct equipment to do any of the installation...this doesn't surprise me. But what I did learn was that the Deca needs to be installed behind the TV...which doesn't work for me since it is so tightly/closely mounted to the wall. The Gen III Deca that I was looking at on Amazon seems to connect from the Sat Cable to a router? Are their different types of Deca's?

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    All the DECAs connect the same way, with the exception of the newest one that has the option to be powered by USB instead of a power brick.

There is also a Broadband DECA that connects to your router, its purpose is to "inject" internet to the DIRECTV system. However in most cases this is currently being done by the Genie either wirelessly or hard wired.

12. Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
    So I need the deca that goes into the back of the TV for the RVU setup?

If that's the case I may just go with a genie mini

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, at the very least for initial set up.

14. Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
  15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  16. Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
    Have experience with RVU vs Boxes? This seems like a hassle and just a Genie mini would be an easier solution...even at the cost of the box

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I always recommend minis, everyday. If only simply for the support component.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Thomas Kudrich

Jan 4, 2017
    Sounds like the easier option for me.

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The DECA really isn't all that difficult, especially the new DECA 3. You run the coax into it, then ethernet from it to your TV, then hook the DECA up to power. The DECAs are way smaller than even the newest mini clients. You never really said, but do you have ethernet available at your TV location? If so then as soon as you get the TV activated for RVU you can remove the DECA and just hook the TV up to the ethernet cable and put the DECA away in a drawer. No need to hide it behind your TV.

I have been running DECA 2 with two 32" Samsung TVs at my parent's house pretty much since RVU became available. They have had very few issues, and those times were fixed by firmware updates to the TVs. RVU TVs just seem to get a bit of a bad rep around here.

20. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I currently have an HR44-500 and a new Samsung 4K RVU TV. I don't have a DECA, but I do have the HR44 and the TV connected to the same Ethernet switch. I can currently view recorded programs on my HR44 without the DECA however of course the HR44 won't record 4K. If I get an HR54, I assume I can still watch recordings without a DECA.

By the way, I never went through the process shown in this guide from Samsung. The Icon just appeared on my TV when I connected it to the Ethernet.
    Using The DIRECTV Ready (RVU) Feature

Maybe this is not the regular RVU because it only shows me recorded programs. I can see no way to watch live TV from the HR44.

One other issue. Since DirecTV won't allow us to have two Genies installed in one account, how do I move to an HR54, set it up for my recordings, and continue to watch the HR44 until I have finish watching some of the programs I have recorded? We just returned from a 3 week vacation and we're way behind on several shows.