HR44/AM21: Series Manager with simultaneous off-air & satellite channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by litzdog911, Sep 25, 2015.

1. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    So the new TV season is beginning. On my HR44/AM21, I have separate Series Manager entries for the same show airing on an off-air channel (via AM21) and the satellite channel. But this week I discovered that the off-air Series Manager entries aren't recording. The satellite channels recorded fine. In the Series Manager the off-air entries show "0" upcoming recordings, while the satellite channels show the correct number of upcoming recordings. After resetting my HR44, I've tried deleting and recreating some of them and pushing the off-air entries to the top of the Series Manager. I'll see if that helps for tonight's recordings, although they haven't shown up in the To Do List yet.

For those of you that set up simultaneous recordings for the same show on both an off-air channel and satellite channel, have you seen this problem? Or know how to fix it? I know it used to work. Thanks!

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think you have to set a manual recording for the OTA show.

3. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Interesting. I can certainly do that. I wonder what changed? I know it used to work.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm assuming you have BOTH (First Run/Repeats) set as the options.

On your equipment, you list an HR34 and an HR21 with the AM21. If the AM21 is now plugged into your HR44, maybe do a series recording on the AM21 and then record the show to a different DVR?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I noticed something like this too, wondering if it's the same thing. I have my AM21 on my HR34, some things record, others don't with I believe "unknown error 30/0/". I thought maybe I'd hit a tuner limit, but I got the error at times that no more than one other thing was recording.

6. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'll try removing the satellite tuner recording and just leave the off-air (AM21) recording to see if those start working.

Thanks dpeters11 .... I'll check the Record History to see if anything is mentioned there.

Interestingly, when I click RECORD in the Guide for those off-air shows, the "Series Recording" symbol appears, but only that one episode will appear in the To Do List. Puzzling.

7. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    So it does seem that you can only setup Series Recordings for either satellite channels OR off-air channels, not both. I deleted my Series Recordings from the satellite locals and recreated them using the off-air channels (via AM21). Now they all show properly in To Do List and Series Manager. Not sure when this behavior changed. It's OK because I can use my other DVRs to record the satellite locals so that I have them both, just on different DVRs.

8. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    There definitely is a change with how OTA stations are handled. If I pick a show and pull up "Other Airings" my AM21N channels are no longer shown as an option. Also if "all channels" is selected for a series recording any episodes airing on the OTA stations aren't recorded anymore... Even if they don't appear on the satellite stations. If you choose "Other Airings" on a show airing on an OTA station it only shows other airings on that channel as well, and no longer includes the satellite stations.

Our local CBS station is owned by Media General and likely will go dark tonight on DirecTV. It appears now to record CBS shows while that lingers on I'm going to have to delete every season pass and change it to my OTA station, then reverse it when they kiss & make up. It also is a pain for the sports "Team Recording" feature.

9. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yep. Or, you could temporarily create Manual Recordings on the off-air channels at the required times.