HR44 and AM21N

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HDTVFreak07, May 22, 2014.

1. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I signed up for mover's plan but it didn't pan out as expected. I was expecting a technician to be prepared to install SWiM 16, change my LNB (currently single line) and be prepared for more than 5 receivers (HR44, HR24, H24 and 2 H25's). He showed up with the work order only for 3 receivers. Duh! I got 8 receivers!!!

Anyway, I asked the technician if the AM21 can go with the Genie. He said no. Is this correct? I got the AM21N. If it can, what do I need? I see that maybe I will need to order a power cord for the AM21N. I can't see how the Genie's power can fit.

Any help is appreciated.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, the AM21 works fine with the Genie. as you are aware, you need an to get a power cord.

3. jlacroix

jlacroix New Member

May 22, 2014
    Cleveland ohio
    That tech should of called in and fixed your work order. Its not that hard to do. And he should have a extra power cord for the am21dueto the external pwr supply for the hr44

4. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    Where can I get a power supply for this AM21N? Solid Signal?

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It's only a power cord just like any other HR2x. I think Radio Shack even has them. (or stop an installer if you see one)

6. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    You should be aware, as documented here and elsewhere, that although the HR44 and AM21 officially work together, they don't always work well. I have this combination. Two broadcast company's stations cause problems. I put it this way because I get locals from Boston and Providence, and it happens with both versions. NBC and FOX affiliates have an issue where when watching live and the program changes on the hour or half hour, you will lose audio and video. To get them back you have to change channels. In addition on both FOX affiliates almost all recordings look like normal recordsings, but I get the "delete/don't delete" screen before the end. NBC's recordings are OK, and I have no issues at all with either CBS or ABC affiliates. Satellite watching/recording has no problems.

I can understand that D* is in the satellite business, not the OTA business. OTOH, they seem to have made no effort to get this combination to work the way it should.

SMK